Preface: I know nothing of software development.

Would it be possible to have SNAP created as an .apk instead of a .bar ?

Though side loading is doable for most here it is likely a barrier for the less savvy and if it were an .apk file they could just grab it off of the developer's website.

Being that they made it easy to make .apk into .bar for BlackBerry World, would it work in reverse? Or would it more likely be a re-write from scratch?

Van City Coffee ; WhitecapsFC ; PreMed Community ; Bristol Rovers Football Club
    01-28-14 07:57 PM
    Requires a re-write of the app.
    dusdal likes this.
    01-28-14 07:58 PM
    This would be very much appreciated by the whole of the crackberry community

From Zuri my Z10.
    01-28-14 08:01 PM
    If it were to be created as an apk, it would lose its ability to be in Native cascades, one of the reasons many users love it

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 08:31 PM
    If it were to be created as an apk, it would lose its ability to be in Native cascades, one of the reasons many users love it

Posted via CB10
    And how many users do you think side load?

From Zuri my Z10.
    dusdal likes this.
    01-28-14 08:37 PM
    And how many users do you think side load?

From Zuri my Z10.
    I don't know, not many I think
    But it's what the developer, James, wanted to accomplish from the start, a native way to access Google Play Store. It might be up to him to see if he would like to sacrifice the native aspect just so people could directly install it (however seeing as he has put so much work into the app already, it would be a pain to completely rewrite it into an Android app)

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 08:43 PM
    We don't need good native apps to be converted or rewritten as apk files.
    What would be great is for BlackBerry to enable OTA installation of bar files such as we had for jad/jar files on legacy devices.

Posted via CB10 using Z30, 10.2.1.1925
    01-28-14 08:45 PM
    APK = Android App
    BAR = Native App

That's why it's no fun if Snap was an APK. The better solution would be if we could install Bar files right from the device.

HamuZ10 @ OS 10.2.1.1925 : D
    greenberry666 and Korepab like this.
    01-28-14 08:49 PM
    Honestly I gave it a valiant attempt to side load snap. Tried on a mac. Tried on a pc. I must be missing a step.
    I've resorted to amazon and 1mobile.
    So I guess I'd be one of those that want the apk

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 08:49 PM
    Honestly I gave it a valiant attempt to side load snap. Tried on a mac. Tried on a pc. I must be missing a step.

Posted via CB10
    Where do you get stuck? Was it attempted on 10.2.1.1055 or later?

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 08:52 PM
    This is insane. Write a sluggish and slow running Android app to access Play Store on a BlackBerry? Put again who knows how many hours into development just for the people who want to save 5 Minutes (sideloading takes less, but who knows, maybe some grandmas are around here).
    And don't tell me you don't sideload because you are not savvy enough. It's just a thing of laziness. The dev put lots of effort on this and you don't want to read a simple instruction? Put device in dev mode, start chrome extension, drag and drop the bar and there you are. It really isn't complicated at all.

I'm personally am so happy that someone put a lot of effort in such thing although he knew that his work depends on donations because it would never be accepted in BlackBerry World. And native is the only way to do that. Full stop!

Sent with ZeeTen using Tapatalk
    tryfe and josh74 like this.
    01-28-14 08:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    Step by step with pictures.

http://www.berryreview.com/2013/03/1...-help-you-out/

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 08:59 PM
    When using Google Chrome. I follow the steps. Type in https://169.254.0.1
    Get 404 not found.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 09:02 PM
    When using Google Chrome. I follow the steps. Type in https://169.254.0.1
    Get 404 not found.

Posted via CB10
    You don't need to type the device IP address anywhere.
    The IP address is auto detected by the Chrome Extension when you are connected via USB and have the BlackBerry in Dev Mode. Just click on the IP address hyperlink that appears in the Chrome extension.

You can even sideload over wifi with the Chrome extension ( no usb) but that's another story.

01-28-14 09:11 PM
    Is link recognizing your phone when plugged in? Have you installed the correct chrome extension?

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 09:11 PM
    OK. Thanks everybody. Figured it out. Now I have snap.

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73 likes this.
    01-28-14 09:18 PM
    Go to Settings > About, then Category Network in the pull down

You'll see an IPv4 address for USB. Use that instead of the IP you used above (169.254.0.1)

EDIT: never mind, should have pressed refresh before replying.
    01-28-14 09:25 PM
    This is insane. Write a sluggish and slow running Android app to access Play Store on a BlackBerry? Put again who knows how many hours into development just for the people who want to save 5 Minutes (sideloading takes less, but who knows, maybe some grandmas are around here).
    And don't tell me you don't sideload because you are not savvy enough. It's just a thing of laziness. The dev put lots of effort on this and you don't want to read a simple instruction? Put device in dev mode, start chrome extension, drag and drop the bar and there you are. It really isn't complicated at all.

I'm personally am so happy that someone put a lot of effort in such thing although he knew that his work depends on donations because it would never be accepted in BlackBerry World. And native is the only way to do that. Full stop!

Sent with ZeeTen using Tapatalk
    Hi

I have sideloaded plenty of .bar applications and don't find it terribly cumbersome. But many do.

I am also very pleased and appreciate of our native developers.

Just asking a question.

01-28-14 11:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree and use SNAP exclusively for this reason.

I guess what prompted the question was today's general release of 10.2.1. I let friends and family know that this is the one that let's you run android applications directly.

Next question is always: "cool, how do I get the apps?"

So I say that you can sideload using this process, or click this link to amazon store that I bbm'd you.

Virtually everyone chooses the latter unless I am able to swing by and set things up on their computer. So now they are using an android app to access a smaller store rather than all of Google play.

Was just a thought.

greenberry666 likes this.
    01-28-14 11:18 PM
    We don't need good native apps to be converted or rewritten as apk files.
    What would be great is for BlackBerry to enable OTA installation of bar files such as we had for jad/jar files on legacy devices.

I agree of course. This would be ideal.

It seems like we don't have the ability to control that though. Would have to be BlackBerry building it into the OS?

01-28-14 11:19 PM
    Keep Snap native! I love the cascades menu. Works perfectly. Looking forward to future updates

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 11:52 PM
    I don't really get making a BAR that has to be side loaded. Why is it not on BlackBerry Worls.

I have side loaded apps it is a pain in th @$$. Not hard but requires effort most users will not do.

Otoh I downloaded the Amazon store and installed it with ease and proceeded to download and install a few Apps (wtf is the deal with candy crush sheesh)

It has to be easy I now have all the big missing apps without side loading and they work.

If this new capability depends on side loading it will be worthless. Can already side load.

Snap on be or it will serve a very limited number users.

Posted via CB10
    dudoo likes this.
    01-28-14 11:56 PM
    If you can't manage to sideload the app then people can go to 1Mobile Market, Amazon or various other places to get apps. Not rocket science to sideload.
    josh74 likes this.
    01-29-14 12:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    Exactly my case too.

From Zuri my Z10.
    01-29-14 02:15 AM
    I don't really get making a BAR that has to be side loaded. Why is it not on BlackBerry Worls.
    *snip*
    BlackBerry doesn't allow other stores into BlackBerry World unfortunately. Policy

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by eldricho; 01-29-14 at 04:59 AM.
    01-29-14 04:42 AM
43 12