I finally used skype for a video call with my parents abroad today for the first and quite possibly the last time. My call was ruined by an application that is buggy, non-intuitive, and not even worthy of an alpha level release.
    Disclaimer: I'm fairly competent when it comes to applications, having worked as both a developer and then as an analyst / project manager on systems larger than this.

Here's what happened:
    1. Starting the app took onwards of 2 minutes to get to the sign-in screen. I had to close the app several times and restart it before it would actually startup. (I've logged into Skype before on the phone but it never took as long as it did today)
    2. Once signed in, tapping on the button to initiate a video call was unresponsive.
    3. I then got an unresponsive error message that closed the app.
    4. I was forced to restart the app. (waiting another 2 minutes to get to the sign-in screen again)
    5. Once I was able to place the video call I could not see anyone on my screen.
    6. Audio from the call was not on speaker by default - and I couldn't figure out where to toggle to speaker phone. (odd to have a video call with someone that would have to stare at your ear while you hear what they are saying).
    7. When I finally decided to end the call, I was surprised to find the app stayed running after I closed the active frame. So going back into the app, I clicked in the sign-out button at the top. The app closed and I put my phone down. starting to walk away, I could still hear my parents talking - despite ending the call, signing out and then closing the application, the call was still active.
    8. Going back into Skype (all while still hearing them and having a conversation with them) the app hung once more, with another force close message finally appearing.

What type of QA (or lack thereof) went into this app? Am I the only one that is experiencing this?
    07-06-13 01:20 PM
    For me it works decent. Not great, still has lag, but is totally usable. And I must say, I was expecting a lot worse call/video quality, but it was very good.
    What os version do you have?

Sent from the Dark Side
    07-06-13 02:04 PM
    Skype is garbage in it of itself, I'm not entirely sure what you were expecting.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 02:17 PM
    Agreed. Skype is rubbish on BB10, to the point where I no longer use it, put the Z10 on mobile hotspot, and use Skype on my iPod Touch instead. It's great on iOS. On BB10, I've never had a proper video connection - I can't see the other party, or they can't see me. Also... when I called my partner on Skype via my iPod Touch, MY PHONE RANG!? All the while it was saying I was dialing her skype. I couldn't stop it either... had to turn the Z10 onto airplane mode to kill it.

The Z10 almost flew 20 meters, and I almost bought an iPhone that day. I *really* wish BlackBerry was as stringent with their quality testing of all apps submitted into their store as Apple is. Quality should always trump quantity.
    07-06-13 06:26 PM
    I can Echo all if this. Plus if you reboot your phone because it got stuck it tells me that my previous Skype call ended. Well yeah because I finished it. I'd like to see that cancelling Skype's active frame cancels Skype without me clicking the sign out button. Bit annoying and yes black screens and unresponsiveness. When someone phones me I press the button to answer and it keeps ringing for a few more seconds. In that time I hear my chat Partner but they hear the ring tone as well.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 06:34 PM
    It works just fine. Keep in mind that a lot of it depends on connection quality

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 06:50 PM
    Skype on android gingerbread launcher is really unresponsive.
    07-06-13 07:34 PM
    Skype (PREVIEW) as the app name on BlackBerry World. Enough Said XD

Posted via CB10
    Rowan M and R Field like this.
    07-06-13 07:36 PM
    Using tmobile official - 10.1.0.2006

Hopefully the jellybean update whenever it ends up coming makes it a little more responsive.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 07:36 PM
    I love reading posts like this one.
    I am using an application designed for the official 10.1 release and it's not working correctly on my device.
    I loaded a Jon official leak is from someone other than the manufacturer or the provider and the software still isn't working right.
    This app sucks, I am switching phones.

Really, using an app designed for a OS that you don't have is cause for switching phones?
    Go get an iPhone and fart in public...

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 07:42 PM
    I'd never used Skype before on any platform until using it recently on my Z10. The quality was perfect, camera switching worked great and had zero lag. No issues for me with it whatsoever.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 08:50 PM
    Skype for BlackBerry 10 is ok but not great. It works though and it's better than not having it. That's it. Hoping for more improvements to come.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 09:08 PM
    10.2 and HW acceleration should fix the lag in Skype.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 09:11 PM
    10.2 and HW acceleration should fix the lag in Skype.

Posted via CB10
    Was still junk on 10.2.0.93, but hopefully another build will be better.
    07-06-13 09:21 PM
    Skype (PREVIEW) as the app name on BlackBerry World. Enough Said XD

Posted via CB10
    The same Skype that's promoted on billboards as a selling point for BlackBerry. Enough said.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 09:40 PM
    I love reading posts like this one.
    I am using an application designed for the official 10.1 release and it's not working correctly on my device.
    I loaded a Jon official leak is from someone other than the manufacturer or the provider and the software still isn't working right.
    This app sucks, I am switching phones.

Really, using an app designed for a OS that you don't have is cause for switching phones?
    Go get an iPhone and fart in public...

Posted via CB10
    Where did the OP state that they weren't using official 10.1? I am, straight from my carrier.

I can't understand why you would accept third-rate experiences as the norm.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 09:43 PM
    I wonder how much longer Skype will be in the "preview" mode for us.

I swear Skype on my Vita and Samsung Smart TV receive more updates than BlackBerry does.

I know, it's coming soon right

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 10:24 PM
    The first versions of Skype on iPhone were pretty sad. They've had a long time and many, many updates on iPhone to finally get it sort if right. Even now, it's still not perfect.
    07-06-13 10:34 PM
    I know, it's coming soon right
    Careful of using those words with anything to do with BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    Lendo likes this.
    07-07-13 02:14 AM
    Maybe I'm easy to please but I used it to call my aunt in jamaica and it work perfectly, no dropped calls or anything. The program itself could be a little smoother but I expected that.. it'd an android port.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 03:26 AM
    No problems here. Works fine for me. Never crashed, never dropped me. It's a bit sluggish compared to a native app, but not outrageously.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 10:47 AM