Finally....skype app will be on Blackberry 10!!!
    01-30-13 10:04 AM
    it's funny, I was watching the broadcast, yet didn't see skype!!!!! WTF!
    01-30-13 11:49 AM
    Is it available now or coming soon?
    01-30-13 01:15 PM
    Coming soon. They said that Skype is committed to developing for BB10.
    01-30-13 01:21 PM
    Always a scary when you read something like this. Who knows when/if they will release this. I still remember all the announcements on Flash being support on BB6/7 and that never happened. I pray that it doesnt happen again with Skype. I would feel much better if they announced an availability date (or at least a time frame)
    01-30-13 02:04 PM
    I really doubt they would've said skype specifically if it isn't going to be done.
    01-30-13 02:09 PM
    I really doubt they would've said skype specifically if it isn't going to be done.
    I pray that you are correct (and I am not a religious man)
    01-30-13 02:12 PM
    I pray that you are correct (and I am not a religious man)
    LOL well if they didn't learn from just a picture of an icon on the pb at launch I'd say they need brain transplants to come right and say skype support.
    araskin, robkd, Fnen90 and 1 others like this.
    01-30-13 02:28 PM
    Well the good news is that Skype is coming, the bad news:
    "If you have a new BlackBerry smartphone powered by the BlackBerry 10 platform, we anticipate you will soon be able to download and run Skype on these devices. We are working closely with BlackBerry to ensure the Skype for Android app runs great in the BlackBerry 10 environment."
    skype support

I just wish they made it native! Though when it does come, I also hope they keep in mind that the playbook also runs on qnx / has an Android player.

Edit: Just found this : " We understand that you are using Blackberry Playbook and wanted to connect it to Skype. We would be glad to help you with this issue.
    We are sorry, but there are no scheduled releases for it yet. We are working on the possibility of an update for the next OS.
    ".
    02-07-13 08:02 AM
    Is that true? Not native? Would be a real bummer. All ported apps from android I tried on the Z10 crashed sooner or later. Makes really no sense for me.
    02-07-13 08:59 AM
    I really hope it's not an android port. They seem to lack the high level of quality that native apps have.
    02-07-13 09:16 AM
    No....I was really hoping that Skype would be native I don't really use Skype anymore, but it would still be nice to have it native when I do use it. At least we know for a fact that it does have video chat, so that's good.

I just hope that Whatsapp won't be an Android app. Hopefully they make a native app. I also hope that Instagram and Yelp will be native, but those are lower on my list of "must be native" apps.
    Fnen90 likes this.
    02-07-13 10:11 AM
    Hopefully the developers are still "committed".
    02-07-13 10:12 AM
    This fills me with doom and gloom. As stated before, the Android ports I've used so far are crash prone and they're also stripped down in terms of features. I'm hoping that with the z10's surprise success (especially if it takes on in the US), that they'll eventually see fit to make a native version later on.
    02-07-13 12:34 PM
    Not that surprised but had hope BlackBerry convinced ($$$) Microsoft to develop one using Cascades.

This isn't just some casual app, this should be as stable as possible requiring deep OS integration... But we'll see how well it runs when it releases. Real bummer though.
    02-07-13 03:20 PM
    Native would have been nice (and I still have hopes we will see one eventually)... but N4BB is reporting that the port is a heavy tweak of the android app (e.g. the Android action bar look nearly identical to that of a native BlackBerry 10 app). Performance seems to be enhanced by the fact that its running on the Jellybean runtime.

Skype for BlackBerry 10 is an Excellent Android Port - N4BB
    02-07-13 03:27 PM
    looks like its been repackaged for our UI experience.
    02-07-13 06:00 PM
    Does Skype require access to your full contacts list on your smartphone to work? Our personal contacts should be separate and different from those of or on Skype. Do we have a right or option to use Skype without handing over all contacts on our smartphone to use this application or do they not give us a choice these days any more???
    02-08-13 12:03 PM
    The only alternative right now is imo which i have sideloaded.
    02-08-13 01:14 PM
    Is that true? Not native? Would be a real bummer. All ported apps from android I tried on the Z10 crashed sooner or later. Makes really no sense for me.
    Um...what kind of apps were you installing? Most of the ones I have (Flipboard, Pulse, Whatsapp) work pretty well. There's a glitch here or there, but nothing major....
    02-08-13 03:48 PM