I noticed a few SIP clients in BB app world. Is there some way to use a VPN to make SIP untappable by the NSA?

Incidentally, the only free sip app I could get to work was Adore Softphone.
    adore softphone offers softphone,IP Phone,IP Telephony, pc to phone, web to phone, click2call, mobile dialer,windows Mobile,symbian mobile,voice recording

If you go through the trouble of setting it up, I suggest making a "call" to
    [email protected]
    Although you can't pick the codecs for Adore Softphone like you can for linux clients on a PC, it does have the wideband codec either built in or it finds it on the phone. Very impressive demo.

I couldn't get sip.fm to work. Some sort of authentication problem. But it gets good reviews. If you really want to beat the NSA, probably getting the Taki app would be the way to go since it is open source.

Adore Software is actually derived from open source. I found the developer posting in a forum regarding pjsip:
    PJSIP - Open Source SIP, Media, and NAT Traversal Library

While I'm find with compiling linux code, I have no clue how to compile QNX, so paying a few bucks is worth it.
    09-15-13 05:31 PM
    09-15-13 06:20 PM
    SIP: Is this a way to beat the NSA?-img_53583805214894.jpg

There is no defeating the NSA!

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 06:49 PM
    Keep in mind.

BlackBerry will not let us use custom encryption methods without a whole bunch of paperwork and essentially giving them decryption information.

And if they find an app using custom encryption without reporting it ---- brrrp app banned. Now, given Android, iOS and BlackBerry strive insanely hard to get DoD approval and such I think it's fairly clear where that encryption information goes.

Can I build you an app that is encrypted away from the NSA? Yes, they aren't brilliant hackers - they have manufacturers open doors for them. But the app wouldn't survive long.

Not to mention VOIP / SIP etc is very unsecured. Blackberry can record the conversation. The IP carrier can record the conversation. The target IP carrier can record the conversation. The end user can record then conversation. Every router, switch and connection point between can record the conversation.

It's no safer than normal calling. At least with normal calling there is less of a chance of a third-party listening in. Not that most people would bother.

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-15-13 07:01 PM
    Lots of good ideas here. Thanks.

Note you can use your cellular data plan for SIP, so the bandwidth issue mentions doesn't seem to be a problem. The deal with any VOIP is jitter. You need a good steady connection and sufficient bandwidth. A bit OT, but many cable modems can't handle VOIP.
    09-15-13 11:46 PM