Hey all. Just started using Dropbox today and I have a few questions. How secure is the software? If I put files on the site, are they invisible unless I intentionally share them?

Never used a software like this before so I was hoping for some imput.

I noticed Box seems like the same idea. Which is better/easier to use?
    03-09-13 04:26 AM
    Hey! Dropbox is what I'm always using on my phone.
    Yes, the data is secure. It doesn't ever share your stuff unless you intentionally want to share it, through a link. I've been using it ever since I got a phone which supported it and use it even on my laptop so that both my phone and laptop have all the stuff I need. It's pretty handy too, when you want to transfer files.
    Haven't ever used box, so can't comment on how it is but I'm sure many do and it work the same way.
    Hope I helped.
    Cheers!
    AbsoluteT23 likes this.
    03-09-13 04:38 AM
    I use Box on my laptop and Z10. I enjoy the the auto sync of Box so my selected files on my laptop are always available on my Z10. I trust the security of the cloud but for an extra measure my most critical files are Office docs and I password protect those anyways.
    03-09-13 08:33 AM
    I was looking for a way to password protect my account, but it seems if nobody knows my login password, then that is all I need to worry about?

Yeah, I considered ziping my doc. files and putting a password on them to unlock

Once I load a file, I can just delete it from my Z10 right? Or my PC for that matter? It will always be online?
    kh7771965 likes this.
    03-09-13 11:01 AM
    I use Box on my laptop and Z10. I enjoy the the auto sync of Box so my selected files on my laptop are always available on my Z10. I trust the security of the cloud but for an extra measure my most critical files are Office docs and I password protect those anyways.
    What is the auto sync?
    With Dropbox I noticed if it is running in the background of my PC, anyone can just click on it and see files in the box. So far I have just closed the application when I am not using it
    03-09-13 11:02 AM
    have you already tried COPY? It's a new cloud storage service with at least 10GB FREE! https://goo.gl/uAfs9 but hurry up before they drop this generous launch offer.
    anyway, Copy is from Barracuda networks, a reliable network appliance and security company coming into online data storage. it seems to me like a better setup than many other dropbox alternatives; as long as it is not a proof of concept, I think it will last.
    Last edited by george68; 03-09-13 at 12:08 PM.
    03-09-13 11:07 AM
    What is the auto sync?
    With Dropbox I noticed if it is running in the background of my PC, anyone can just click on it and see files in the box. So far I have just closed the application when I am not using it
    First you download from Box a small program called Box Sync. It runs in the background on your PC. You define what folder you want synced automatically to the cloud. Whatever goes in that folder such as new files or edits of existing files will get synced without any further activity on your part.
    03-09-13 05:29 PM
    and the winner is... SugarSync
    03-09-13 05:43 PM
    Box gives you more free storage (50 GB) and has auto sync for Z10 media files.

Posted via CB10
    meganVee likes this.
    03-10-13 08:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's what I use box for, auto sync my media files (Dropbox does this on android)its nice to know that every picture or video I take is backed up.

I use Dropbox for my "every day " moving of files.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 08:35 PM
    They give 5GB by default unless you have a special code for a Dell promotion that I'm not sure is running any more or not.

and the winner is... SugarSync
    I used to like Sugarsync, but they stopped development on their legacy Blackberry app something like 1.5 years ago (even though it seems to have some significant "issues"), have no current plans to support BB10, and my experience with their support is that you are like a voice in the darkness there.

Have you been using them with that PlayCloud thing?
    03-10-13 09:03 PM
    is there a sideload .bar for the Copy app?
    03-11-13 10:40 AM
    Have you been using them with that PlayCloud thing?
    On PB and Z10? yes Playcloud
    On PC, laptop, android I use native SugarSync app

It used to be the only cloud storage to support all platforms not supported by dropbox/box eg Kindle and BB
    I have nudged them to make a native BB10 app but no luck so far
    Luckly PlayBook came with a solution.
    03-11-13 02:40 PM
    What is the auto sync?
    With Dropbox I noticed if it is running in the background of my PC,
    autosync is the main feature of any syncing app

anyone can just click on it and see files in the box. So far I have just closed the application when I am not using it
    Dropbox makes a copy in the cloud of the files you already have on your PC
    Anyone who has access to your computer can click and see files in dropbox folder,
    closing the app just disables syncing

You can make a folder and not sync it to your PC but if you just need a cloud storage,
    there are better/cheaper options than dropbox/box. They are design to sync
    03-11-13 02:49 PM
    First you download from Box a small program called Box Sync. It runs in the background on your PC. You define what folder you want synced automatically to the cloud. Whatever goes in that folder such as new files or edits of existing files will get synced without any further activity on your part.
    I tried installing that on my PC, but it claims I need SP2 for Vista, which I have, but it acts like I do not
    03-11-13 05:49 PM

Posted via CB10
    Box only gives you 5GB unless you buy the premium package for like $20
    03-11-13 05:50 PM
    Box only gives you 5GB unless you buy the premium package for like $20
    There was a special promotion out there that indeed gave 50GB, with some restrictions. But it was a promo price, not sure if it's still available, as I wrote previously.

I tried installing that on my PC, but it claims I need SP2 for Vista, which I have, but it acts like I do not
    Is it a legal copy of Vista?
    03-11-13 10:13 PM
    Hi,

With PlayCloud 10, you can use :

- Box
    - Dropbox
    - Skydrive
    - Google Drive
    - SugarSync
    - OpenDataSpace
    - FTP / FTP-SSL
    - WebDAV

and soon Amazon S3

Many features are incoming.

Nicolas
    03-12-13 11:14 AM
    For what it is worth, between the two services I'd go with Box.

Because Dropbox has had a few security breaches by now and simplistic share features.. http://venturebeat.com/2012/08/01/dr...loud-security/

At this time I do not have an account with either though

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 12:42 PM
    Actually I don't consider either one to be the paragon of security. If you want that, then a service like SpiderOak is better.

Or even MozyPro.
    03-12-13 01:18 PM
    Box works just fine for me, it is definitely my fave online storage service, and it will become one of my most used apps when the Z10 gets released here in Mexico
    03-12-13 06:42 PM
    I recall box being more corporate than Dropbox, so for security I guess box would win. They often have sign up specials so keep an eye out. I managed to grab 50gb free a few months ago. That being said, I also use Dropbox and sugar sync. I use Dropbox the least, then box. But sugar sync's support for BlackBerry is so lacking I'm starting to use box the most.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 12:29 AM
    I recall box being more corporate than Dropbox, so for security I guess box would win.

Not a very good method of determining which provider has better security.
    03-13-13 12:42 AM
    ok, the last line of your statement puts your view in perspective.

i use both services and i believe the risk of cloud computing is the same across all the providers.

i will take Dropbox over Box any day. with Box, you can only upload files that are 200MB or less. with dropbox, there are no limitations
    03-13-13 12:57 AM
    i use both services and i believe the risk of cloud computing is the same across all the providers.
    You're wrong, but that's OK. Some people don't care much about security. Others do.
    03-13-13 01:59 AM
40 12