View Poll Results: Should BB World indicate Droid or Native apps?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. They should.

63 92.65%
  • No. They should not.

5 7.35%
    Id love to see it.

But I dont think rim wants users to know. They are the ones we gotta convince.

Posted via CB10
    I tend to agree. BlackBerry wants to have all apps blended together so their app count looks good. Any kind of designator would just be fodder for all the people who want to bash BB10.

I doubt there will be any type of designator until their market picks up, and only a slim chance at that.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 02:57 PM
    I think that's a pretty accurate representation of my thoughts too.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 03:05 PM
    BlackBerry wants Android apps to run just as well as native apps. They position it as an easy way for Android developers to get on the blackberry platform, so I don't think they want to start labeling them as Android apps in BBWorld.

Really, when it comes to performance issues and the like, it's BlackBerry who's to blame, not the Android developer. BB hasn't made many improvements to the Android player since it's initial release on Playbook, and if they want to convince Android developers that the BB ecosystem is worthwhile, then they need to put a rush on the Android Players upgrade to 4.0.

If I'm an Android developer, then I'm almost certainly going to port my app over before going native. If the android port performs well, then at that point I might start looking into developing native, and taking advantage of APIs that Android apps dont have access to.
    04-22-13 03:18 PM
    Yes they should.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 03:23 PM
    No...no...no!

That is all irrelevant.

Android has many security problems and BlackBerry users have the RIGHT to know they are downloading and/or purchasing a port before it winds up installed on their device.

There simply should be an indication. There just ought to be. It is the right thing to do. No matter how good the Player environment gets, the apps are just not native, and Android is a malware cess pool so if BlackBerry users want to avoid ports that should be our prerogative. We should not have to rely on reviews or even worse downloading and seeing the player bar then having to uninstall and in some cases be screwed out of money if we are avoiding ports.

I am sorry, honest to goodness not trying to be narrow minded but those saying there should not be need to understand and be sensitive to those that want to stick to native apps.

After all it is BlackBerry World. I'm not asking for a warning prompt to display or anything discouraging...all I'm strongly suggesting and wishing for immensely is an indicator logo or text in green or something that stands out above the description page of the app that says Android Port.

~STV
    04-22-13 03:43 PM
    If the app is free what's the difference. Perhaps for a paid app I can see the label but I think you guys are missing the point here. People don't want to spend time developing apps for a dying platform (I'm not saying it's dying don't misinterpreted my point I'm hardcore BlackBerry)
    BlackBerry is giving them an easy way to get more apps on the platform to close the "App gap".
    More apps will bring more users other than than the hardcore like us here.
    We have to be patient and wait for BlackBerry to become a true player on the smart phone game.
    Then the developers will come.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 03:48 PM
    I look at all the negative feedback for Blaq. Not saying no one has a right to complain about a paid app but JCarty developed native app for PlayBook and BB10. And he comes on here to answer questions and feedback. That's a lot of patience. Clearly he's hardcore BlackBerry.
    Why would an android developer want to spend time making a native app and then get it picked at??
    To me if it is a good app that works and I want or need it I don't care if it's an android port.
    The idea is to make the app available on the BB10 platform.
    An app is not necessarily lesser because it is a port so I don't get why so many are down on android ports.
    It's funny how we'd happily sideload an android app but SEEM to look down on a app if developer ports it himself especially since that is the whole point if having android player in BB10 OS.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 04:01 PM
    Yes it should definitely be made clear if an app is a strait port from Android, just as a warning that they will work slightly different and have a different ui scheme than the rest of the OS and native apps.

it might encourage devs to put a bit more effort into getting native apps made
    04-22-13 04:15 PM
    But the point of Android player is "No need to build a native app port the one app you have already developed".

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 04:20 PM
    It would be good and bad. Good for users to know if it's a port, bad for the developers because people would see it is a port and not even give it a chance. Some ports are wonderful applications Imo. 8track rocks.

Sent from the Mother Ship...
    04-22-13 04:29 PM
    it might encourage devs to put a bit more effort into getting native apps made
    See this is what I disagree with. If I'm an Android developer, the lack of downloads because users avoided downloading a non-native app, or because BlackBerry singled out my app as being different from the others, wouldn't encourage me to develop natively. It would encourage me to abandon BBWorld all together.

A smooth android runtime would hopefully lead to positive reviews (if deserved), as oppose to reviews like "Android port. Sucks. 2 stars". From there, a developer might start exploring the native API's to look at what it has to offer, and may decide their next app will be native, instead of a port.

As for malware, I don't want to really get into that discussion from a developer's point of view, but in the end, whether the app is native or a port, look at the permissions the app is requesting, and use your best judgement on whether it seems legit or not. Malware apps can be created natively on BB as well. In the end its up to BlackBerry/Apple/Google/HP (haha, just kidding) to make sure it doesn't get into their store, and up to you to make sure you're comfortable with any apps you download having access to its listed permissions.
    04-22-13 04:36 PM
    I think that they should as well I agree

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    04-22-13 05:37 PM
    if I knew an app was an android port I probably would not downloaded most of the time.
    04-22-13 05:41 PM
    Y'all need to watch your tones before you all get labeled as paid Samsung instigators.

But yes, it would be nice for labeled apps, but I agree that that would probably not be in BBRY's best interest.
    04-22-13 06:13 PM
    This isn't about singling ports out, it is about making it clear to the end user/consumer/one paying the money what he or she is getting.

Will it be a lessor experience? Quite possibly. But I have had some good port apps and some bad ones. Funny thing is a bad one is eBay and a good one is Blackjack King which is a smaller little company so a big company can't get it right, ha ha.

Either way it will happen. Do you want to be honest and label it up front or have people trash your app in the comments or give an undeserved reduction in stars for it not being native and not labeled? I see a fair share of people that review less positively saying that they wish they knew it was a port before buying.

And honestly, if it had reasonably good reviews and I believed in it I would not have a problem paying for a Droid port. What I would have an issue with is an initial ported experience, it catches on, the developer updates it to be a native app, and recharges for it. End users shouldn't have to pay twice because you didn't believe enough in the platform to write it native the first time around.

So I have already said this ad nauseum now so I won't continue to repeat myself again after this but I absolutely insist that labeling of apps in a non - discouraging, informative manner is paramount. Also, this isn't about singling out. I'm not requesting a search native only function...lol.

~STV
    04-22-13 10:21 PM
    It should be.
    But it won't be.
    Right now it can't be.
    The only people who can are at supportforums.blackberry.com.

If you start a petition there ill sign it.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 11:36 PM
    I believe that BlackBerry needs to have some sort of approval process that will weed these crappy android ported apps out of the OS10 BlackBerry World.

I was very excited when the eBay app finally made it to the OS10 BlackBerry World, but that was short lived when it killed my battery and started getting FC'S.

I would have thought a company the size of eBay would have hired a good developer to create a native app that would have improved the z10 experience for a new user coming over from the android and IOS platforms that already have the eBay app that's polished and that works.

Remember folks, it's not about the faithful who use the browser. It's about the new user who is used to apps that provide functions and tools the browser method doesn't provide.

I honestly think allowing these crappy android ports to flood the BlackBerry World without some sort of evaluation process is going to be problem that is going to bite BlackBerry in the *** in the long run.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Ronald Bak; 04-23-13 at 05:41 AM.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    04-23-13 04:52 AM
    I had terrible reboot problem with 2 new Verizon Z10's purchased at the same time on March 30. A few days later replaced both of them. (One of the original ones rebooted six or seven times, the other 30-40 times). Both new units have never rebooted on their own. Tech support for Verizon and Blackberry said it was a hardware issue. I have sideloaded many apps on all (4) of the phones. New phones are one white, one black by the way.
    04-23-13 01:44 PM
    I'm finding that if you check the reviews usually someone has said whether it's a port or native.

-tcf

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 07:05 PM
    check out my list of B4BB i have compiled http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-list-800060/
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    04-28-13 03:11 PM
    I wish it would tell me if an app is already installed or not...

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 03:13 PM
    I wish it would tell me if an app is already installed or not...

Posted via CB10
    it does tell you,
    Should BB World indicate if an app is "Native" or "Android"?-img_00000206.jpg
    notice it says installed at the top where download would be.

if it is not installed it will say download in green button.
    04-28-13 05:35 PM
    Indeed but I wished it would say 'Installed' when looking at a list of apps instead of having to go inside to see if I have it or not.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 05:40 PM
    Yes, I would love to see it posted Native or Ported. Nice to know.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 02:53 AM
    Free market dynamics will serve this function.

By this I mean, if there are enough people that prefer native over android then developers will realize it and start adding 'native'or 'cascades' prominently into their application descriptions.

If these consumers that care are a small minority then the developers won't bother.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 08:24 AM
50 12