View Poll Results: Should BB World indicate Droid or Native apps?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. They should.

63 92.65%
  • No. They should not.

5 7.35%
    Howdy,

I am on my 2nd Verizon phone. Although it does not reboot as often as the original phone it still reboots.

With that being said I am attempting to avoid ported "Droid" apps. I do not sideload right now either.

What is difficult is trying to avoid them in BB World. As far as I can tell there is no "official" and/or consistent means of telling prior to purchase.
    Yes you can look at the reviews after someone has purchased it and found it to be a Droid port. Sometimes it's mentioned and sometimes it is not. Try to figure it out when the app has no reviews and just was released. You do not know.

I know that at one time the little green Droid icon was seen on the PB version of BB App World way back when.
    So they must of have an idea to mark the Droid apps in some way.

Why are they not indicating what OS they are for?

Would you like to see BB World indicate this?

If I am incorrect, please delete this…..and tell me where to look.

Tim
    hindsketchup238 and JunkieXP like this.
    04-21-13 07:56 PM
    Agreed. This would be a very nice descriptive addition to BB World.
    04-21-13 08:31 PM
    I support this.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 08:32 PM
    Definitely a great idea. Would love to see this

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 08:47 PM
    A good app developer usually posts if the app is native. If it doesn't state, stay away.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 08:56 PM
    +1...actually +10.

There should be a Droid icon in the app's icon but that's not all...

There should be bold green text at the top somewhere above the developer's description that says Android Ported Application with a green triangle-encased exclamation mark.

Native Apps should either say nothing or say in white BlackBerry Application.

Built for BlackBerry Certified should say that in bold blue with a checkmark.

~STV
    04-21-13 09:38 PM
    Keeping this as simple as I can....F*** YES!.

This should have been there from day 1.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 11:19 PM
    App developers are not allowed to put Android, Google etc in the description. RIM rejects these apps.

I've ported a dozen android apps for others and tried and was refused.

And just saying it - I'm sorry guys - but it is so much easier building Android than building native. BlackBerry always ensures android apps work the same on every os update and every phone. So you never need to recompile.

In comparison Secure Browser has over 5000 lines of code changed since inception just from os updates and device differences.

With that said I'm at about 80 percent native for my apps. But just wanted to share some challenges.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 11:31 PM
    There should absolutely be some kind of obvious and apparent designation in BB World indicating if an app is native BB or ported Android. As a PlayBook user, not knowing this prior to downloading an app is frustrating. Seems like a reasonable request to me. Some might even suggest that having such a designation in place could further motivate some developers to go ahead and develop a native version of an app that they might otherwise have just ported, or worse, contribute neither version at all...

-Wolf-
    trsbbs likes this.
    04-21-13 11:35 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe if an app is native, it is going to get the BlackBerry symbol in the bottom right corner of the icon in BlackBerry World.

Take a look at this recent article:

http://m.crackberry.com/crackberrys-...berry-approved
    04-21-13 11:40 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe if an app is native, it is going to get the BlackBerry symbol in the bottom right corner of the icon in BlackBerry World.

Take a look at this recent article:

CrackBerry's CB10 App is now Built for BlackBerry approved! | CrackBerry.com
    The BB symbol indicates a Built for BlackBerry app. Only native apps can qualify; however not all native apps automatically do.

My apps for example are native, but do not have the B4BB designation.
    04-22-13 12:10 AM
    ***YES!!! i'm very careful abt this,,, i have a complete aversion to all things idroid,,, i've heard just too many bad things,,, being able to distinguish outta the gate would be great,,, particularly if it's a paid app,,, before i download anything, i scour it thouroughly...
    04-22-13 12:37 AM
    Yes, that'd be ace.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 12:46 AM
    Built for BlackBerry is designated in BBW..
    A port is not

Sent from my looooong waited for Z10
    04-22-13 12:48 AM
    Also,

Approximately only 1-2% of native applications are sent through the built for blackberry farce.

It doesn't mean much in this context. It is meant to represent a very special type of app that includes BBM integration, et c.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 01:07 AM
    Copyright issues...that's seriously the reason why we can't have some proper indication?

Fine.

A big green A at the top.

Done. Before 10.1 gogogogo blackberry revs!

EDIT: It could also just say "Port" in green. We will know what it means. Not like ports are from any other os than Droid.

~STV
    04-22-13 01:23 AM
    I have a feeling Android ports aren't marked simply because BlackBerry doesn't really want to highlight the sheer number of apps that are ports and not native. I mean, if you try out the Z10 in a store and open BlackBerry World to find a lot of apps are from Android, that doesn't look good.

I can usually tell if it's a port by looking at the screen shots. Usually Android apps have a different font and different buttons. Some devs even use screen shots from Android phones, so they still have the Android status bar on them.

Posted via CB10
    trsbbs likes this.
    04-22-13 01:24 AM
    actually, blackberry app quality controls should more restrict to that android app were selled on BBW

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 01:36 AM
    Android apps are ruining the flow and experience of BlackBerry 10. Why is BlackBerry paying to promote a competing operating system?
    I think that consumers should be made aware which apps are Native vs Android.
    kndL likes this.
    04-22-13 02:35 AM
    I understand the issues developers have when creating new apps from scratch, but I feel we the end user should have an indication in the the BlackBerry World that an app is an Android Port versus a Native one.

I for one have had some bad experiences with ported apps not working properly and causing OS and battery issues with my z10. I feel if I wanted Android based apps, I would buy an Android device and not a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 04:52 AM
    I personally think it would help get developers to build native apps. At the same time having the bridge there is nice.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 05:33 AM
    It would be nice to know this in BB World and to also be able to "uninstall" or "disable" the
    Droid player and just have the phone capable of running BB apps only.

That is, unless they can get the Droid player to work better then it is and the apps as well.

Between rebooting, NewsFeeds in FB not working and not knowing what app is for what OS is frustrating to say the VERY LEAST!

Tim
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    04-22-13 06:04 AM
    I personally think it would help get developers to build native apps. At the same time having the bridge there is nice.

Posted via CB10
    Or to slowly abandon the platform

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 06:44 AM
    Designation of Android port would be a welcomed addition in BBW. It does to matter to a lot of users.

Sent from my looooong waited for Z10
    04-22-13 10:59 AM
    Id love to see it.

But I dont think rim wants users to know. They are the ones we gotta convince.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 12:34 PM
50 12