It's just blog bounty farming as someone already said.

It has nothing to do with scams. You'd have to be stupid to pay for one of those in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    The problem is @papped that people like me going to BBWorld for the first time and not knowing that V1 appendix means auto-generated grungeware would buy it in all innocence. What BB need to consider is the reputational damage done, especially the impact on newbies. The only reason I never bought one of these apps is because I'm too stingy to buy anything at all, so that's kind of luck. It's not fair to say people buying these things are stupid, rather it's unprofessional of BB to allow these things on to their CONTROLLED market place. Hmmm.
    rajdeep.malhi likes this.
    04-10-13 10:00 AM
    Is it any more safe to buy without the v1 tag? Nope... actually it's less safe because app generator apps are very limited

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 10:03 AM
    While we are considering reputation damage I wonder what the impact is of having an app store with 2000 total apps because they were handpicked for quality compared to hundreds of thousands on other app stores...

Even if there's junk people still take note of the total app count regardless of how useless it is

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 10:06 AM
    There is definitely someone approving them and the review process takes damn near forever. I submitted a real app over 7 weeks ago and was just notified today that it had been denied because it contained the BlackBerry logo which had not been licensed to me for use...so I gotta reapply if I ever want the app to be listed on app world and wait another 7 weeks for review then pray it doesn't get denied for some other reason and add an additional 7 weeks of review......the reviewers priorities need to be changed.

Posted via CB10
    That's ridiculous!! BlackBerry is giving those that actually want to make decent apps a hard time and takes seconds approving apps that literally took a couple mins to make. The whole process of approving apps and the criteria required to get approved needs to change. Simple things like, screen shot required, proper description, and the name of the app shouldn't be "Test"

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 10:07 AM
    The problem is @papped that people like me going to BBWorld for the first time and not knowing that V1 appendix means auto-generated grungeware would buy it in all innocence. What BB need to consider is the reputational damage done, especially the impact on newbies. The only reason I never bought one of these apps is because I'm too stingy to buy anything at all, so that's kind of luck. It's not fair to say people buying these things are stupid, rather it's unprofessional of BB to allow these things on to their CONTROLLED market place. Hmmm.
    Hate to sounds like a broken record, but wouldn't someone just read the description before purchasing an app? I mean, who just blindly buys things without figuring out what it is?
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    04-10-13 10:07 AM
    I think you've made the same point there. We are relying on BB to verify the quality of everything that gets on to their marketplace. It is irresponsible to to place something which is not an app in the apps section of the marketplace. We would next expect to find music or videos there, so why should we find guides or videos listed as apps, even if they're free? We shouldn't. And if something contains a V1 at the end we should be told that it is grungeware from a generator and not real coded software from a professional code writer.
    04-10-13 10:10 AM
    That's ridiculous!! BlackBerry is giving those that actually want to make decent apps a hard time and takes seconds approving apps that literally took a couple mins to make. The whole process of approving apps and the criteria required to get approved needs to change. Simple things like, screen shot required, proper description, and the name of the app shouldn't be "Test"

Posted via CB10
    You don't see it correctly. There's no risk in an app generator app. You aren't making api calls or accessing storage, camera, etc. You can barely control anything.

Other than the "It's Spam" argument the apps have no risk and no complexity

Posted via CB10
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    04-10-13 10:11 AM
    You can (and people do) write crap that is more useless than app generator apps that are hand coded in Webworks or native sdk....

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 10:13 AM
    Hello Folks. This thread is really worrying. Most worrying is what appears to have happened to @Benjamin Black and I have to wonder if the chap is a full on programmer. If that's the case then he has taken the time to learn how to become a developer in the OS10 environment and then actually produce something. The next worrying thing is that if something is listed as an APP then it must be an APP, meaning digitally functional software. If something is a guide, text or video, then it must exist in its own category and 100% not be listed as an app. Frankly it is an insult to the capabilities of real programmers to claim the status of an app for something which takes zero development skills; to charge for this type of output pretending it to be an app bordering on fraud.
    Exactly. There's far too many apps like that. The blackberry app generator website needs to go! That's one of the reasons why we have soo many pointless and bull**** apps. Mind my language. I've been a loyal fan since day 1 and my first phone was a blackberry. I'm a shareholder and im extremely disappointed in BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 10:14 AM
    Hate to sounds like a broken record, but wouldn't someone just read the description before purchasing an app? I mean, who just blindly buys things without figuring out what it is?
    Reading a misleading description doesn't help really though now does it? Anyone can stick a meaningful label on something with nice descriptions. It's down to BB to make sure that software on their marketplace it does what it says on the tin. That's what QA is all about. Why do they allow non apps into the app world? It says it's an app because BB have classified it as an app. Where does this leave us? We read the description and it says it's an app and BB have approved it as an app. Am I now an ***** for buying this believing it to be an app? Come on.
    rajdeep.malhi and cdnynot like this.
    04-10-13 10:15 AM
    E reader book apps have been spamming app world by the thousands before app generator even existed.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 10:16 AM
    Thank You!! That's exactly my point. BlackBerry World has lost all my respect for it. It's a complete joke and very unprofessional. Heres the newest apps in the arrival section. Absolutely pathetic!

"Scam" apps.-img_00000410.png
    "Scam" apps.-img_00000411.png

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 10:23 AM
    E reader book apps have been spamming app world by the thousands before app generator even existed.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry for going off topic but papped do you intend on making a version of blockade for BB10?? for both the z10 and q10??
    04-10-13 10:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Again you have made the same point @papped. It's a scam. And it is the reponsibility of the marketplace controller to make sure that edocs and vids etc don't get marketed as apps by placing them in the app section. This can easily be construed as condoning the scam.

Your point earlier about the total number of apps is correct in respect of marketing and media sound bites, but it will not take long for personal experience to do the rounds. It's the old analogy of the bad restaurant experience and telling 10 people etc.
    rajdeep.malhi likes this.
    04-10-13 10:25 AM
    That's another issue. Many apps don't have screen shots. And have no description. They have the name if the app as the description which is completely useless. BlackBerry needs to be more strict when it comes to approving such apps!

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 10:27 AM
    Sorry for going off topic but papped do you intend on making a version of blockade for BB10?? for both the z10 and q10??
    I thought about it but I haven't looked into java to c++ porting yet.

I would imagine it would be a lot easier in some regards because there's not 20 different devices to support with 3 different input methods (track pad, touchscreen and keys) and there's no cdma chipset related audio restrictions....

Posted via CB10
    Spawn12 likes this.
    04-10-13 10:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Same goes for those. I'm not only picking on the app generator apps.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 10:32 AM
    Again you have made the same point @papped. It's a scam. And it is the reponsibility of the marketplace controller to make sure that edocs and vids etc don't get marketed as apps by placing them in the app section.
    App generator creates valid Webworks applications from RSS feeds and other sources. So it is actually an app...

Where do you draw the line? They could do the same thing from the native sdk as well (would be more work though)

Posted via CB10
    SlcCorrado and anon(3896606) like this.
    04-10-13 10:34 AM
    App generator creates valid Webworks applications from RSS feeds and other sources. So it is actually an app...

Where do you draw the line? They could do the same thing from the native sdk as well (would be more work though)

Posted via CB10
    You have a Z10. Are you saying you don't mind thousand of app generator apps in BlackBerry World? Would you even download them? Or would you just turn to a reliable source such as CrackBerry, CNET, etc

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 10:37 AM
    My point is this:
    - you say it's the app store owners responsibility to manage control.

How about the fact they caused this with the blog bounty? That's easily the worst issue here (which is barely even discussed here), not the content itself.
    Let's see if I can make this more blunt: They paid people to spam the store....

Approval processes don't buy you much, regardless of the company doing them. You either get loose approval reqs (otherwise it's unmanageable) or draconian control.

Reality is the approval process is mainly to protect their brand name in terms of people labeling stuff as official when it isn't. Users assume approval means something else but it doesn't really.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 10:45 AM
    My point is this:
    - you say it's the app store owners responsibility to manage control.

Posted via CB10
    Well who else has responsibility @papped? It's a closed market that already must have some kind of approval policy in place. As for an app, it is software only. If it is generated via grungeware then it should be identified as such, even if it is software. You appear to be a coder so you should know better than anyone that there is more than one way to code something up to produce the same result but professional programmers usually we code things in the most efficient way. Hence it's a quality issue. It does not mean that say gameplay or the features are different, but the expertise in creating the software is vastly different.
    04-10-13 11:01 AM
    I thought about it but I haven't looked into java to c++ porting yet.

I would imagine it would be a lot easier in some regards because there's not 20 different devices to support with 3 different input methods (track pad, touchscreen and keys) and there's no cdma chipset related audio restrictions....

Posted via CB10
    Well if you do that would be awesome, it was probably my most used game and I'd love to see it for my z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 02:08 PM
    Is this situation unique to BBRY? One would think you were Christopher Columbus discovering something new.

And to suggest that to disagree with you is being ignorant, well, is just arrogant.
    Yes its very unique to BBRY. I have not seen such pathetic apps rolling everyday in bulk on any other platform. You clearly haven't seen the list of newly added apps. Go down a 100 apps and find one that you can consider downloading. that twitter link i posted, have screen shots of some of those apps, and there are thousands of them in the app world. Is that what BBRY is so proud of ?
    04-10-13 03:50 PM
    Totally a scAm...

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 04:09 PM
    On a positive note it is good to see that Gameloft are starting to port their games on to the BB10 operating system. Although I don't play games very often myself this company does produce quality offerings that are very popular.

According to one of the guys on the Synology forum the "porting" of Android software to the OS10 platform is quite easy for a professional software developer. I do not have expertise here and it would be helpful if any programmers out there could confirm this.

I think the way forward for apps on BBWorld is through strategic partnerships. BB should do deals with companies that either produce the most Android/iOS game apps and/or the most popular (say top 1000 game/apps) on Android/iOS. Meet them half way on the conversion costs and agree a take on the revenues.

At the end of the day the software companies must be thinking "there's not that many BB10's out there yet so we can't justify the cost of conversion". Hence if BB say we'll meet 50% of the conversion cost for 50% of the sale revenue they'll get loads of better quality games out there to match the Android/iOS offerings. This will not use any of BB's own limited developer resources which need to stay focused on OS10 work. It will need some BDM work to negotiate partnership deals and maybe a bit of legal work to get contracts signed, but in the medium term it's great all-round investment into quality resources for the app world.

Any one else got some positive ideas for BB on how to improve this current situation?
    04-11-13 03:17 AM
100 1234