Poynt was one of my most valuable tools on my 9700. It worked perfectly for me, and while I didn't use it a lot, I LOVED having it when I needed it.

Now, after buying the Z10, and searching these forums on the topic of Poynt, I'm riding the fence on whether to install it on my new machine. Still no native version for OS 10, people having problems with battery drain, GPS staying on, freezing up the whole phone and requiring manual reboot, ineffective searching, map issues, not to mention a potential collapse of the Free World.

So, I thought I'd ask directly:

1. What's your experience with Poynt, specifically on your Z10? And mostly, has it caused problems for other functions and usefulness of the phone (like rapid battery drain, etc)?
    2. I've seen people refer to "other options" besides Poynt, without defining what those options are. So, if your not using Poynt, what are the other options your using, or that you know of that are available with similar functions?

Thanks. Not telling you guys anything you don't already know, but this really is a great forum.
    04-24-14 05:02 PM
    Thread moved to BB10 Apps Forum...
    Great title btw!

I have found Poynt much less reliable and sometimes annoying even on BB10. I was so excited when it released, and it's a major disappointment.
    That said, I do NOT experience any issues such as you listed.

I do get all kinds of irrelevant listings if I do business phone search, and/or the list of results not in a logical order.

Map / Directions use the Browser. There's no option to use the native BB10 Maps.
    Share is missing most options you'd expect to be there. There is no option to add a location to Contacts.

I still keep it and use it occasionally. I've just adjusted my previously high expectations.
    04-24-14 05:15 PM
    Didn't poynt go bankrupt?

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 06:31 PM
    I loved poynt on my 9630

I could look up example: hotels and map them and it would work great when you were in a specific area

Was an amazing sales tool for doing sales calls.

This version of Poynt on BlackBerry 10 is very very very very very very very very very very disappointing

To Poynt, or not to Poynt?-img_20140424_184039.png

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 06:45 PM
    Didn't poynt go bankrupt?

Posted via CB10
    boosting this question.. i too am interested in knowing..?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350
    04-24-14 06:54 PM
    Poynt covered a wide spectrum (weather, movie times, local business). Some recommendations to cover off your needs:

1. Bemaps pro. Native, fluid google maps client with street view. Works well.

2. Android port of Google maps.

3. Yellow pages

4. Weather app that comes with bb10 for weather. Free and works well.

5. Yelp android port (for restaurants)... or even yelp mobile site for that matter.

6. Cineplex app for movie show times and tickets.

7. Gas buddy for gas prices.

Hope that helps
    04-24-14 09:19 PM
    My recollection is that Poynt declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy, or something similar. Chapter 11 allows a company to reorganize their business, and keep on operating.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-24-14 10:50 PM
    That is really too bad. It was a great catch-all tool.

I hope at some point they build a native version for BB 10 that works.
    04-24-14 10:51 PM
    Thanks, Sally.
    04-24-14 10:52 PM
    My recollection is that Poynt declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy, or something similar. Chapter 11 allows a company to reorganize their business, and keep on operating.
    cool. this is good and comforting to know.. thanks for the info!

04-27-14 11:54 PM
    Yes, they are still around, but not in the same way as before. I have the ported app from BBW. I tried the updated Android app that added back the spinning carousel homepage, but it wasn't the same as the native BBOS carousel.

I just went back to the ported app because it actually ran a little better than the straight android version.

And, even though you can set it to show the weather background, it doesn't work.

I've not had the problem of the GPS getting stuck on. It activates when I open Poynt, but deactivates soon after closing.

Most of its basic functions still work which is why I still have it. It's nice to keep most of it all within one app.

Posted via CB10
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-28-14 11:49 AM
    well i have a Curve and noticed that the app has gotten a little slower when initially loading.. I've been using Poynt for years, and on different phones since first discovering it so this actually answers to my curiosities about why that happened. it's definitely still a fully functional app, at least on the legacy OS end, and you're right it's really nice to have an all-in-one app and that's exactly what Poynt offers.. I'm happy to hear they'll be able to continue providing it

04-28-14 03:55 PM
    Thanks everyone. I used Poynt right up until a few weeks ago, when I switched to the Z10. Sounds like it is pretty rough now, with BB10. My plan is to pass on it for now, and hope they come up with a new version for this OS.
    04-30-14 11:05 PM
    Point us available for bb10 it is just for regional download and I guess Z10 I had it on my Z10 used an AT&T Sim card to get access via wi-fi on BBW and got it. No luck in my Z10.
    Check out Poynt in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/844
    To Poynt, or not to Poynt?-img_20140506_142435.png

Posted from my flagship Z30 10.2.1.3175/3140
    05-06-14 01:29 PM
    The situation has never been very good for Poynt on BB10 due to their bankruptcy and the fact that they never bothered to do anything but convert their Android app to run as an Android app on BB10.

But the final straw for me is that many of the data sources they use seem to be stuck in time and have TONS of outdated info in those databases. I got tired of calling disconnected phone numbers and going to addresses where the business didn't exist any more.
    Chrisy likes this.
    05-06-14 02:37 PM
    Use Spotcast, it's by the same guys....
    05-06-14 02:55 PM
    But the final straw for me is that many of the data sources they use seem to be stuck in time and have TONS of outdated info in those databases. I got tired of calling disconnected phone numbers and going to addresses where the business didn't exist any more.
    So very true. I've noticed that and it's one thing about the app that slowly happened over the years since I first started using it. I already have wikitude though so whenever Poynt falls through I always have a reliable plan B to use
    05-06-14 06:26 PM
    Use Spotcast, it's by the same guys....
    Spotcast was created by the same people who brought us Poynt?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 11:14 PM
    Anyone having issues with Poynt Closing alot? Any fixes for this?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 04:58 AM