First of, we are all blackberry fans but as it is now, we have lost substantial amount of users and the company is no where near where it was 7-8 years ago. We gladly have a new device that can stand in the competition and that should be expected. We have also lost developers as a result of our dip in the smartphone race. Intelligently, blackberry created an android runtime environment to enable the new devices, being the Z10 and Q10 to run android apps. That's a genuis idea enough to be applauded. Not just that, developers are seeing the viability in it and are porting their apps over. What I've realized is, blackberry users write bad reviews about these apps simply because they are ports, without factoring how well it works. These ports are the reason you still hear of blackberry in some ways. People should appreciate the apps enough to move a developer to see, they have users on blackberry10 enough to make a native app. I endorse android ported apps, as long as it works fine and you should too.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 04:28 PM
    Hmm no we should praise quality ports that run and function properly... good majority aren't.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    06-27-13 04:30 PM
    First of, we are all blackberry fans but as it is now, we have lost substantial amount of users and the company is no where near where it was 7-8 years ago. We gladly have a new device that can stand in the competition and that should be expected. We have also lost developers as a result of our dip in the smartphone race. Intelligently, blackberry created an android runtime environment to enable the new devices, being the Z10 and Q10 to run android apps. That's a genuis idea enough to be applauded. Not just that, developers are seeing the viability in it and are porting their apps over. What I've realized is, blackberry users write bad reviews about these apps simply because they are ports, without factoring how well it works. These ports are the reason you still hear of blackberry in some ways. People should appreciate the apps enough to move a developer to see, they have users on blackberry10 enough to make a native app. I endorse android ported apps, as long as it works fine and you should too.

Posted via CB10
    Hi and welcome to CrackBerry!
    Hear, hear! I agree. I applaud the devs who have tried to crate apps for us. I appreciateevery one of them and have purchased many many apps. I have no problem as long as these apps work, as you say.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy your stay at CB!!
    06-27-13 04:31 PM
    If it wasn't for the Android runtime BlackBerry would not satisfy my application needs, period. Side loading is my best friend. Do I wish they were native? Of course. But without the runtime, guaranteed these apps wouldn't have been developed natively for BlackBerry 10, and pretty much no one would buy a BlackBerry 10 device. Well, some people would of course, but let's face it not enough to be competitive in the smartphone market. I just hope one day that this platform grows to a point where apps will be available no matter what. If that doesn't eventually happen, BlackBerry's I'm big trouble, and I may even switch to another platform which satisfies my application needs. Apps are Damn important. Without them, we don't have a smartphone. We have an extremely capable dumb phone. That's not good enough for me.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 04:36 PM
    First of, we are all blackberry fans but as it is now, we have lost substantial amount of users and the company is no where near where it was 7-8 years ago.
    7 years ago, they had less than 5 million users globally. As of today, they have 76 million, down from an all-time high of 80 million a few quarters ago. Number could drop with the earnings call tomorrow but some perspective for you.

Agree with the point though. :-)
    06-27-13 06:39 PM
    I agree, i have no problems using ported or sideloaded apps as long as they work. I'm not big on apps but there are a few that i use that are either ported or sideloads.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 06:42 PM
    I use Neutron player which is a port based on the lack of Cascades. It's good. I like it. Would be waaaaay better native but I will take it. What the heck, Android users do.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 06:45 PM
    A port, when done well, is OK by me. I would much prefer that than having to side load. It shows that the developers care enough to make it available. If the demand is there, they may choose to make a native app. If I try an app that's a port, and really like it, I'll email the company and tell them that I like their service. I also tell them that I'd like it even more if it was native.

However, if I find an app that's native and provides a great experience and solution, I'm more tempted by that.

The OP has a very valid point. There is no need to bash or give bad ratings to an app just because it's a port. At least it's there and we aren't forced to side load like Netflix or instagram.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 07:06 PM
    I never give bad ratings. I only knock off 1 star for bit being a port but still thank the developer. No port warrants 5 stars though because the work simply hasn't been put in.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 07:10 PM
    Agreed with OP..good points

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 07:13 PM
    I'd prefer if lazy developers would get to uploading their Android apps to BB World. I refuse to sideload, and it's inexcusable that major banks and other service providers with Android apps already built haven't yet done so. The first US bank to release a BB 10 app will get my business, even if it is a port, from my existing bank (who have an Android app and haven't released it, and won't even make their mobile site work properly for my Z10).
    eninrebmun and DINGSTER1 like this.
    06-27-13 07:14 PM
    I use Neutron player which is a port based on the lack of Cascades. It's good. I like it. Would be waaaaay better native but I will take it. What the heck, Android users do.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think Neutron is a port. Just because there's no action bar on the bottom, doesn't mean it's not a native app.
    06-27-13 08:15 PM
    7 years ago, they had less than 5 million users globally. As of today, they have 76 million, down from an all-time high of 80 million a few quarters ago. Number could drop with the earnings call tomorrow but some perspective for you.

Agree with the point though. :-)
    Absolutely true. But I can't help thinking that back then BB had basically NO competition from any direction, and zero credibility rebuilding for us to worry about. I digress though.
    06-27-13 08:30 PM
    I don't think Neutron is a port. Just because there's no action bar on the bottom, doesn't mean it's not a native app.
    Agreed- not a port but it is some kind of weird cross platform thingy (with its own platform agnostic control set).
    06-27-13 08:32 PM
    The side load process is stressful, very difficult for some people and even more difficult when you have to teach someone over the phone on how to do it. It would be ideal if it was ported over and submitted to the app world. We need more ports. It's better than nothing. Everybody I talk to always complains about apps.
    It's better than not having any.
    Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 09:15 PM
    I think it is better to have the option of a ported app then nothing at all. I can understated not just saying it's great just because you can use the app but it doesn't work well.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 09:21 PM
    Maybe not. I wish they'd put some settings in the swipe from top though. The UI could be cleaner. Sounds great though. That's what matters to me.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 09:36 PM
    Absolutely true. But I can't help thinking that back then BB had basically NO competition from any direction, and zero credibility rebuilding for us to worry about. I digress though.
    They had competition (do a legacy Google search for "BlackBerry Killer") and you'll see plenty of names from big companies. But they didn't have competition they couldn't handle till Apple. Even then, the iPhone took 4 releases to catch up in sales

Posted via CB10
    lwaysluking likes this.
    06-27-13 09:43 PM
    They had competition (do a legacy Google search for "BlackBerry Killer") and you'll see plenty of names from big companies. But they didn't have competition they couldn't handle till Apple. Even then, the iPhone took 4 releases to catch up in sales

Posted via CB10
    Wow. And after the turning of the tables, the holy grail idea turned to the building of an "iphone killer".
    It's sobering to ponder how quickly things change.
    06-27-13 10:19 PM
    I never give bad ratings. I only knock off 1 star for bit being a port but still thank the developer. No port warrants 5 stars though because the work simply hasn't been put in.

Posted via CB10
    Some apps run flawlessly, are super great and are ports. Those deserve 5 stats. Toshl is one good example.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 01:29 AM
    Some apps run flawlessly, are super great and are ports. Those deserve 5 stats. Toshl is one good example.

Posted via CB10
    I disagree, and that's my my prerogative.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    06-28-13 02:47 AM
    I disagree, and that's my my prerogative.

I don't allow you to disagree. Period. You have to agree.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 03:20 AM
    I don't allow you to disagree. Period. You have to agree.

Posted via CB10
    I disagree with that!

06-28-13 03:22 AM
    I do not understand the instructions for porting. I'm not stupid. I just don't understand the technical jargon. I tried and now I have a new laptop bec of all the junk that downloaded on my computer that I could not get rid of. Life is too short. I wanna go pick out my apps in the store like other os users do.

I'm giving it a year from purchase date and then I will go back to iPhone . I don't want a lot of apps but heck even the FB and twitter ones suck!

I have a Z10 and want the Q10 but i need apps before I pay $600 out of my pocket!

Z10
    06-28-13 07:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    Some of us view sideloading Android apps as software piracy.
    If BlackBerry had at least made these available via app world then maybe... but still having to depend on the devs is null, as they could develop native if they were truly interested. It's a bandaid, smoke and mirrors.

Posted from The Force wielding tap-dancing mouse on secret pantless missions
    06-28-13 02:16 PM
37 12