Here is a dev that made whatsapp for people who are eager to get it...http://openwhatsapp.org
    Thank me later...

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 07:56 AM
    Is this for real? Would be good to get some more info
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-04-13 07:57 AM
    Just head to the website and submit your email they should give u the beta version

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-04-13 08:03 AM
    Here is a dev that made whatsapp for people who are eager to get it...The Open WhatsApp project
    Thank me later...

Posted via CB10
    Fantastic! I have just given my email. Waiting for more info from them.
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-04-13 08:04 AM
    Thanks for the heads up...sent them an email...will see what happens...

Anyone got the email yet?
    03-04-13 08:11 AM
    I think the dev has to approve it...Maybe he isn't online now.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 08:11 AM
    Thanks! Just sent my email as well.
    03-04-13 08:13 AM
    Still waiting for email of instructions

Posted via CB10 using BBZ10
    03-04-13 08:18 AM
    Just sent email as well, thanks!!
    03-04-13 08:27 AM
    It says BB world email :S
    03-04-13 08:30 AM
    Sent my email, just waiting now. Let's hope I get an email soon!
    03-04-13 08:40 AM
    Best way to harvest emails ever.
    Not that that's what's happening here of course...
    03-04-13 08:40 AM
    Serious question . . Really, I don't know believe it or not . . . I have read so much about whatsapp so I decided to see what it is and why I've never heard about something that's got everyone so twisted up.

When I read the app desciption I don't see anything I can't do with just plain texting . . So obviously I'm overlooking something . . what is the bemefit I'm not seeing? (I'm not being snarky, I'm honestly interested).

Thanks
    03-04-13 08:42 AM
    That developer has already made a whatsapp for the n9 believe me...

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 08:47 AM
    It's like having BBM but not restricted to just BB. You can use it to communicate overseas, if you were to text it would cost money.
    Serious question . . Really, I don't know believe it or not . . . I have read so much about whatsapp so I decided to see what it is and why I've never heard about something that's got everyone so twisted up.

When I read the app desciption I don't see anything I can't do with just plain texting . . So obviously I'm overlooking something . . what is the bemefit I'm not seeing? (I'm not being snarky, I'm honestly interested).

Thanks
    revtech likes this.
    03-04-13 08:47 AM

Thanks
    Think about the difference being similar to BBM to text differences but cross platform (iPhone to BlackBerry to Android to WP)

Whatsapp allows group chats, items to be sent (pictures, docs, contacts, etc)

That's a brief idea, hope that helps.

Brian
    revtech likes this.
    03-04-13 08:51 AM
    It's like having BBM but not restricted to just BB. You can use it to communicate overseas, if you were to text it would cost money.
    I must be pretty thick or just inexperienced . . The overseas thing makes sense, but I guess I've never truly understood bbm either, I mean I tap my contact and send them a text, they tap reply and text me back, isn't that all bbm is doing? Sorry, I'm obviously pretty ignorant here

Edit . . Sorry Brian's slipped in there while I was typing . . When I text someone it just goes to them regardless if they have an iphone or bb or whatever, and I can still send pic messages, so I guess I'm still not getting it; however you mention group chat which I cannot do.
    03-04-13 08:54 AM
    I live in Canada so if I go to the u.s.a can I text for free using whatsapp?
    03-04-13 08:56 AM
    Why wouldn't whatsapp.com post that on their blog?

I think theres something fishy going on here...
    03-04-13 09:01 AM
    It's an open source project...... it isn't the official whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 09:03 AM
    WhatsApp works over your data connection where as standard text (sms) is over the mobile network.

WhatsApp can work abroad if your connected to a local wifi point or pay for data roaming.

You will get charged for sms or mms when you send them abroad, where as whatsapp will work for free over a wifi connection.

Hope that helps.

Posted via CB10
    russmov and revtech like this.
    03-04-13 09:06 AM
    The Open Source WhatsApp project

Providing a free*, open source community edition of WhatsApp.
    03-04-13 09:07 AM
    By the way TextMe is free and works on all my devices, playbook and z10 and iphone 4 and my kids sony xperia ion.

Yes its sideloaded onto the playbook and z10, yes text anywhere to anywhere for free.
    03-04-13 09:08 AM
    Thank you for your patience . . I think I'm staring to get it . . All I do is text family and friends in the states so since my usage is so limited I guess I couldn't see the broader benefit.
    03-04-13 09:17 AM
    I live in Canada so if I go to the u.s.a can I text for free using whatsapp?
    Actually, that may not be the case. When you're in a roaming area, data is also WAYYY more expensive. Since WhatsApp uses data, you'll be paying if you keep data on (unless you're on a wifi network, of course).

What WhatsApp allows you to do is (since you're in Canada), keep in touch with your friends in the US for free, assuming you have a data plan.
    russmov and smithy67 like this.
    03-04-13 09:20 AM
218 123 ...