By the way, Tarek is also the developer of Wazapp, a WhatsApp client for the Nokia N9. The N9 app allows users to buy the subscription (WhatsApp is free for the first year), and if he hasn't already added this functionality to the BB10 app already, he will in the future.
    03-25-13 08:52 AM
    I like anything that's Open Source. That's why I use Linux over Windows.
    03-25-13 08:52 AM
    WhatsApp can, and should, send him a cease and desist letter if they don't want his app accessing their PUBLIC facing servers. Or, they could require a self-published certificate to permit access. If they don't do those things, they are defacto saying we don't mind 3rd party clients. His app is like a mail client that accesses a paid mail service. The mail server doesn't care what client accesses it.

I would like to hear BlackBerry's side of this but, it is easy to believe they used OpenWhatsApp as leverage.
    bobauckland likes this.
    03-25-13 08:53 AM
    Regardless who is in the wrong, for PR sake, BlackBerry should send him a Z10 and a Q10 plus a $10000 check and let the matter rest. Yes I understand not every rant deserve that kind of reward. It's between the developer and BB, we do not have to know about the settlement. The developer could just make a retraction on his rant.
    a1s2d3f4g5 and bk1022 like this.
    03-25-13 09:03 AM
    I can see why this dev would be pissed. It is obvious that he put a lot of work into it, and BlackBerry helped him because they didn't think Whatsapp would be coming to BlackBerry. They should give him the $10,000 guaranteed money for good apps that they promised devs to help make this right, plus the special dev device. They need to do what they can to make this right because angry devs will scream the loudest!
    03-25-13 09:13 AM
    I'm thinking there is a simpler reason to all of this. He used "Whatsapp"As part of the name of his app. Similar to how you can't use the word "Blackberry" in the name of your apps other than "For BlackBerry ", it might be a trademark issue.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 09:31 AM
    Seems like BlackBerry leveraged Open whatsapp to get whatsapp for bb10 and they screwed him. I doubt they can allow Open whatsapp now but there must be something else they can do for compensation

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 09:43 AM
    The guy needs a new line of work. Quit crying and move on.
    ddlax22 and zyad like this.
    03-25-13 10:18 AM
    Very much expect this was a legal issue and that BBRY's hands were tied. Obviously PR nightmares like this are the kinds companies try to avoid.

Furthermore, what choice did BBRY have? WhatsApp is a major app. If they came calling and said "we'll go on BB10, but you have to scrap the Open WA knock off", it's not like there was much choice. I'm certain BB didn't do it willingly.

Lastly, if you work on a carbon copy of an app (essentially a knock off version), you're risking losing your work and investment when the original decides to throw their weight around (and their legal rights).

I feel for the app developer, but that's also part of the risk in working with unofficial versions of official things.
    03-25-13 10:49 AM
    Get lost crying baby, BlackBerry made a business decisions and just accept it like a grown *** man. Anyway your app sucks and you created an app based on "Whatsapp Code", go back to the drawing board.
    Check out his post on his website

The Open WhatsApp project

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 10:51 AM
    I'm concerned that BB didn't get him to sign an NDA and when the formal relationship with WhatsApp arose, they could have told him "let's put on the brakes here".

Without knowing more, it's possible that the relationship between him and BB could be like that of 7 year old rambunctious boy and his 50's era dad just home from work: dad sitting reading the newspaper smoking his pipe, kid runs into the room "I'm writing WhatsApp for BlackBerry 10!" and father nods "mmm hmmm. That's nice." without looking up from his news paper. I would need to know what "encouragement every step of the way REALLLY means. But that would have to come from BB, not the dev.

Sometimes people interpret the equivalent of "go ahead if you want" as "PLEASE DO IT YOU'RE SO SPECIAL AND PERFECT AND VALUABLE AND WHAT YOU'RE DOING IS SO IMPORTANT!"

It wouldn't be the first time a software developer misunderstood an interpersonal communication... and anyone who would post that on their website front page is a textbook case of "socially inept", IYAM.... that's not to say that I wouldn't be inclined to do it, but it's not "professional" or "the high road" or whatever, by any stretch of the imagination.
    03-25-13 11:05 AM
    I am siding with the developer. BlackBerry has failed here. The mere fact they supported him [and there's no point in him lying] shows that BlackBerry is at fault.

But not only that... Something else to consider, Tarek is Egyptian and from his twitter, I think he is currently residing in Egypt.

1. If you just browse the news about Egypt, for the past 2 years or so, this country did not witness any calm. It's been struck by turmoil after turmoil and this guy has managed to work under VERY unstable circumstances.

2. Egypt is not a country where basic needs are often met. And by basic need I mean electricity, water, etc...

3. And most importantly, in Egypt, the highest internet connection speed you can get is 4mb/s and you have to pay around $50 [$50 by the way, is EXTREMELY expensive when converted to Egyptian pounds].

I could be wrong with what I am saying, but for someone to go out of his way and do what he's doing, busting himself like that deserves some respect.

I hope BlackBerry pays better respect for someone who believed in their platform before those that should have.
    a1s2d3f4g5 and Berry_Pink like this.
    03-25-13 11:06 AM
    He should have at least sold the limited edition phone on Ebay...
    03-25-13 11:48 AM
    Someone sound but hurt

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 11:49 AM
    I wish everyone else would realize this!

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    Yep. There is ALWAYS 3 sides to a story. His side, her side and the Truth.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 11:57 AM
    Because there aren't any apps that access twitter, facebook, yahoo IM, msn chat, skype, etc that are made by a vendor other than the original one. Oh, wait, there are.

It's not another App, it's a copy of whatsapp. it access to their servers and user base.

Let's see:

He makes an app that uses another dev servers, and users, because, by his own words, BlackBerry told him to bring the app to the platform
    Then the real owner of these "servers" and "users" brings his own app to the platform, see this "copy" of his work and request BlackBerry to remove it, and they do it.

I don't know, I hate whatsapp, just as much as my fianc�e does, so I rarely use it, but in this case what could BlackBerry do? I mean his app, being better than the original is irrelevant in this case, is just a copy of another one, and above everything else, it does not only copy the functionality, but it gets access to Whatsapp user base, which I think will totally p1ss off Whatsapp.

Too bad for him, really he deserved better, but... It was just a matter of time.

(this is what i posted in that other thread about this.)
    03-25-13 11:58 AM
    Indeed, i got his email this morning..never got one when i first applied to download his app so read his little rant and rave about how badly hes been treated by BB.

I do feel sorry for him that hes been treated this badly by BB but as you said its his side of the story and i hope BB are big enough to post their version of what happened but also make some sort of compensation for the guy.

Up until that happens, im sitting on the fence with this.
    So am I. I really do feel for him and I do hope that BB does the right thing and compensate him for all his work and time spent building the app if his story is true.
    richardat likes this.
    03-25-13 11:59 AM
    whatsapp>openwhatsapp. nuff said
    03-25-13 12:03 PM
    Big fish eats the little fish. It's an annoying truth. Sorry for dev, but life continues...
    He is a great dev, and he will continue developing great apps for us. This is not the end... Keep it up.
    416to604 likes this.
    03-25-13 12:11 PM
    whatsapp>openwhatsapp. nuff said
    So because you prefer one over the other you could care less about the dev being possibly mistre....erm...smacked in the face by BlackBerry?

Wow that's so awesome of you
    03-25-13 12:13 PM
    I think that the dev should have contacted dev relations for a proper answer as to why his whatsapp client was rejected. My best guess is because of whatsapp branding. This would be in violation of copyright laws. If I was this dev I would have taken the high road and talked to BlackBerry directly to find out what the reasoning was before ranting. Unfortunately he didn't and this can look bad on BlackBerry for not communicating the issue in the first place. I hope they can rectify this and hopefully give us, the end user, more choice in apps. We shouldn't be forced to use WhatsApps application if there are others that do not violate Whatapps copyrights and don't divert subscription fees from them.
    Spawn12 and 416to604 like this.
    03-25-13 12:14 PM
    I wish people would stop polluting the thread with inane: that's one side of the story.

That's a cute axiom, and indeed, it's quite true; I'm sure we are all aware of that.

We are reacting to that side of the story. It goes without saying that if the story is untrue, our reactions would be different. You could say this about nearly every single story told on CB - and one could post over and over "this is one side!"

The sensible response is: assuming the story is correct in all relevant aspects: here is my response. (the first part is optional...again...that goes without saying....how could it possibly be any other way)

Instead...some have chosen to chant this truism in lieu of an appropriate response....as a mindless defense of BB.

However, if you do not wish to discuss the issue UNTIL you hear BB's response, then that is your perogative, and I'd encourage you to stay true to your philosophy, and remain silent in until such time.
    03-25-13 12:17 PM
    Big fish eats the little fish. It's an annoying truth. Sorry for dev, but life continues...
    He is a great dev, and he will continue developing great apps for us. This is not the end... Keep it up.
    The fact that he posted that rant makes me think he won't be doing more dev work for bb10. Which is a shame because he is talented.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 12:22 PM
    Although I feel for the developer, why would it matter that BlackBerry encouraged him through tech support to develop the app? If anything they did their job. I doubt they told him specifically to build this particular app. They are just trying to help him get his project working is all.

Using a company's server is not necessarily an infringement issue and the developer said he used his own code so from BlackBerry's perspective its all good legally.

The only fault that I could see would be whether they told him the reason or not for removal.

What he should have asked them before starting the project was what could happen from a legal standpoint if he developed the app the way he did.

edit...

Ok it seems from his side that they actually asked him to do it in which case he definitely has a point. Just a bad situation but when it comes down to it when you use another company's resources they have some control over you. He could have asked Whatsapp whether he could access their servers legally for his app which would have stopped everything at the beginning.
    Last edited by misdeismo; 03-25-13 at 12:47 PM.
    03-25-13 12:29 PM
    The guy needs a new line of work. Quit crying and move on.
    It sounds like you've been in charge of BB's ecosystem development policy. You are in sync with their level of arrogance and it's been doing wonders for the company.
    bobauckland and schmeat like this.
    03-25-13 01:18 PM
189 12345 ...