Seems we're getting x-plattform messaging AND calling? :-)

Code:
    Support for using Signal without Play Services
    This is now possible with beta calling, so non-GCM users are a
    part of beta calling by default.

// FREEBIE
    https://github.com/WhisperSystems/Si...7a2fc22444c24b
    02-21-17 12:19 PM
    let us know how it works...
    02-21-17 01:26 PM
    hi,

installed 3.30.3 from the beta program. conclusion so far, without extensiv testing:
    • uninstalled patched version; installation from play store worked flawless
    • registration only via call; sms does not work; you have to wait two minutes for initiating the call
    • standard android notification in the hub; additional notification after install/boot from signal "background connection enabled"; we will see how this will work during the day; my patched version lost the notification after some time, so I had to manually open the app in order to check the messages
    • messaging works without any hiccups with other devices/platforms; attachments too
    • same strange re-appearing after closing the app. means: swipe up & close -> after a second signal app re-appears but window remains blank/black. no content - only the back arrow on the bottom (looks like the runtime started without any app inside)
    • calling does not work so far but I get an error message "login failed"; so in this case possible some other issues comparing with the patched version; in the latter one, the call could be established but the other side couldn't hear you talking. neither was it possible to initiate the call. independent if direct call or by relay via ows server.

let's see how this will evolve.
    Last edited by jd smithers; 02-21-17 at 04:06 PM.
    02-21-17 02:08 PM
    Update:

- until now messaging works as expected. No issues at all
    - notifications work reliable
    - battery might be slightly more used but I can't tell if it is due to more usage (=screen on, sending/receiving) or because of background activity. Over night I do have 1% more battery loss, but I'm ok with that
    - calling is still flaky but it's been working on. There are/have been generic issues in the builds which not only affected bb plattform

I'll keep it updated.

Regards
    02-28-17 12:06 AM
    calling does not work so far but I get an error message "login failed"; so in this case possible some other issues comparing with the patched version; in the latter one, the call could be established but the other side couldn't hear you talking. neither was it possible to initiate the call. independent if direct call or by relay via ows server.
    Voice calls will not work on BB until this Bug is fixed. Sadly, it seems this will never happen.

If there is sufficient interest and if I have some spare time left I'll update my working Signal fork on GitHub
    02-28-17 07:00 AM
    Hi,

Did encounter the same behavior as you describe in the github issue with the patched version. The thing I'm wondering while using the latest beta w/o the play services that it even won' connect. Neither from nor to the blackberry. The dialing window appears but neither device is showing the incoming call window. It just keeps on ringing until it stops itself after some timeout. I'm no sw developer, so I'm not sure if it's the same reason but it kinda looks different because the first bugs since 3.30.0 have been fixed. But I would be willing to test or deliver some logs if necessary.

Regards
    02-28-17 10:33 AM
    I've just filled in GitHub a bug report about [also] the call connecting issue here,
    and it has been added to the 3.31.0 milestone [version without google play services] by the creator of Signal, so likely it will be fixed soon.

But the things that scares me is the send/sendto issue in RtpAudioSender.cpp found by Cosmomill:
    if its only a bb Android Runtime fault, its very unlikely that RtpAudioSender.cpp will be modified in the default, or beta, version of Signal.
    We could hope, though, that the beta version of Signal, without Google Play Services, will magically fix it [or have it already done] outside of RtpAudioSender.cpp.
    But I'm not too much confident in that.
    03-01-17 03:18 AM
    Mhh... after better reading about the issue, there _is_ the possibility that in Signal 3.31.0, since webrtc will be used instead of redphone, the send/sendto problem will disappear [-> RtpAudioSender.cpp is under redphone dir].
    Lets wait and hope!
    03-08-17 05:04 AM
    Nope.
    It seems that, with the BB OS 10 Android Runtime we're stuck to,
    there will be no future for audio Signal calls.
    Texts, attachments and notifications work well though, and battery's drain is ok too.
    03-09-17 09:40 AM
    03-12-17 05:49 AM
    I think that things have changed though, in the Signal build, from the writing of the referenced article.
    See eg "Dependency on Google Cloud Messaging" [google dependencies removal _is_ now a feature of beta Signal], and "The RedPhone server is not open-source" [it seems to me that the server source code is now available].
    About contact list, well, yes, but if you have a phone with a contact list, chances are that this list is not private anyway, and, more important, we're talking here about hashes, not names/numbers; yes the hashes possible space for telephone numbers is not so big, but its not like sending all our contact list content to some obscure server.
    About lack of federation... there is a current debate about it, there are pros and cons, but all in all, the source code is all here to be seen.
    03-12-17 07:01 AM
    Notifications work for me too. I'm just happy texting works. I'm using the Classic as a secondary device till K1.
    03-28-17 06:25 AM
    Sorry to wake up this old thread, but what's the status on this?
    Is the GCM-free version of Signal now working on a Blackberry Classic?
    Of so, does it need cobalt's Google Play services installed or not?
    Where should I retrieve the apk from?
    There is one available for download from OWS directly, and I was under the impression that it was the GCM-free version (while the one from Play Store would be the regular one, of course), but an earlier post here mentioned that he installed it from Google Play store?
    I installed the apk downloaded from OWS on my mother's BB Classic, which was newly reset before that. I was able to register via Sms and she also sent and received some messages. She also has the "background service running" notification from Signal.
    However, she hasnb't been receiving any messages that were sent to her in the past week.
    Reboot the phone and restarting Signal isn't helping.
    I'll be grateful for any hints!
    10-25-18 06:38 PM
    Browser registered protocol handlers can use sms and other protocols with https if that sheds any light or hope on usability.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-18 04:30 PM