So, BBRY indicated that 80 % of the apps in the BB World are native and only 20 % are android ports. In another forum, however, I read a critical opinion claiming that only 1 % is in fact truly native apps and the 80 % claimed to be native are in fact Android apps revamped using the provided conversion tool. In other words, they do not use cascades and offer all the other benefits of the native BB10 apps. Is this true?
    05-05-13 09:51 AM
    I also wonder if they are counting PlayBook apps? Those should have never been ported. Even android apps are better than PlayBook apps on the Z10

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 10:25 AM
    That this really matter?

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 11:10 AM
    Depends how you define 'truly native'. There's a BlackBerry developed & sanctioned WebWorks SDK. This isn't native but yet it's built with BlackBerry specific tools and SDK.

If you define 'built with Cascades' as 'truly' native then the number is indeed rather disappointing. I don't think the percentage of Cascades apps is only 1% but it's certainly rather low at this point. My guess is 10-20% at best for non-games. With games the percentage is a lot higher as most of them are C/C++ games ported from iOS. The quality ones anyway.

Oh, and whether it matters? Depends. It's possible to build a kick *** experience with WebWorks that's barely (if at all) distinguishable from a Cascades app but a lot of them aren't really done that well.

I would see it is important that there are as many apps as possible that look and feel like true BlackBerry apps. It is to me anyway. Android ports work and I'm happy to be able to run apps that would otherwise not be available with it but hey, it's not nearly as nice as the same app having been built with BlackBerry tools.
    05-05-13 11:16 AM
    Thank you guys for the insight, I now feel that I fell into a troll�s trap regarding this matter
    05-05-13 03:21 PM
    Valid question... but like many things it is left up to speculation.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 03:33 PM