Many here on CrackBerry have been reaching out to app developers for insight on whether or not they will support BB10. I think the we may want to ask, how RIM and BB10 is supporting them and would we need an app for that?

What I mean by this that many developers are shifting to web-based applications - not having an app but a enhanced mobile web user experience. The iPhone is very dependent on mobile apps.* Though this was cool then, dependency on mobile apps is not the best mobile experience anymore - as some apps can only be accessed over WiFi and not simply data. People would like all the time access. Working in the web development and digital marketing industry, I'm seeing companies request HTML5 now more than ever for web development - all for its usability on mobile devices.

With this being said, BlackBerry has put a great deal of effort in developing a what many have called, superior mobile browser for BB10. Its HTML5 capabilities are perceived to be, "better that desktop browsers". RIM may be supporting the web-based app revolution now as soon or later, almost everyone will be there.

If my assumption holds to be true, there are two huge benefits that come to mind:

1. More memory on device. Less apps and more homepage bookmarks will let you maximize your storage for images, music, and documents, instead of application files. This will also keep the device running smooth and fast.
    2. From a developers perspective, its saves you time and money - which all devs would like to do. Building a web based experience that capability across all browsers is so more efficient for them. 1 place, 1 code, that's it. No one is left out. With all phones playing the touchscreen game, it a no-brainer. Also, many apps outside of games and utilities are free. Companies like ESPN are paying for a resource that's not making them money. I cant see that happening for too long.

What are your thoughts? If your mobile web experience is really good, would you still need an app for that?

* I'm not bashing (my disclaimer for all the iPhone crazies)

Sent from Bold 9930 #blackberrybychoice
    Last edited by walt63; 12-18-12 at 07:55 AM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-18-12 07:31 AM
    I'm with ya! I've always favored using the browser, when it accomplishes the same task an app is for. This direction makes perfect sense, for the user and service alike.
    12-18-12 07:42 AM
    In defence of apps:

1. Not all apps require, or work best with, data - if I go out running in an area with low/no coverage I need an app and gps, not a data connection.
    2. Some apps are built to cope without data - the offline sync playlists on Spotify for example
    3. Apps are (should be) optimised for mobile performance - could you play games online with the same fluidity?
    4. Some apps are about utility - a web based app to interact with say, the auto-signature on my device is no good
    5. Apps can be decidedly preferable for international travellers who don't want to consume large amounts of data through browsing
    6. Just like apps, web sites have to be optimised for different operating systems and resolutions - the (English) BBC iPlayer site works on my 9900, but not on my wife's 9860, the (English, BBC) 'Cbeebies' site works on neither.

Not to say that apps are the be all and end all, but I thought it right to add some counterpoints.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-18-12 08:05 AM
    I think for RIM it goes a lot further than simply wanting to eliminate the 'app game'. Having html5 right down to its core is also about giving companies the ability to brand their install of bb10. Dodge, for example, can now re-skin their bb10 install in all their cars on the fly. Trains/planes/factories/whatever will be able to bolt their applications right onto the frame of bb10, almost as if bb10 is a whitelabel os. I believe some inspiration was taken from the windows vs. mac wars of the past.
    -or i'm way off, we'll see.
    mikebest likes this.
    12-18-12 08:17 AM
    big difference in an app that is designed to give mobile users the info they need that ther device can utilize . . and a webpage that is designed for either someone with a very large screen and high speed unlimited data connection or a generic mobile user.

companies are spending big bucks so that they will have an "app for that". html 5 is good,and will be used a lot in the future. but device specific apps are going to be around for a while, the question is how many platform will companies support and how large of a marketshare do they need to be relevant?
    12-18-12 08:51 AM
    I've always preferred the web like it is at home. I don't have a gazillion apps on my pc and certainly not website apps.
    12-18-12 08:58 AM
    Yeah HTML vs apps will not go away keeps creeping up I think apps will fade slowly and only the social apps and games will be in the app store. Regardless RIM has positioned it self to not be lost whatever direction developers go thats teh biggest thing about moving to BB10 new RIM.
    12-18-12 11:00 AM
    I agree that the trend is moving more toward web development but at the same time apps aren't going anywhere anytime soon. . .RIM is in a good position with BB10 because it allows for relatively easy development on both sides of the coin. . .RIM needs apps NOW to remain relevant while preparing for the tide shift to web development (a trend BB10 is pretty set for IMHO)
    now. . .*insert shameless plug* . . .

Netflix: Offer Support for RIM Blackberry Devices
    http://www.change.org/petitions/netf...medium=twitter
    Hulu: Allow a Hulu Plus app for BlackBerry Playbook and BB10
    http://www.change.org/petitions/hulu...medium=twitter
    and . . .
    Pandora�: Bring App Support to the Blackberry 10 Platform:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/pand...medium=twitter
    you can also visit this thread if your interested in contacting other devs for the apps you want . . .http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...m-know-756442/
    12-18-12 11:10 AM
    In defence of apps:

1. Not all apps require, or work best with, data - if I go out running in an area with low/no coverage I need an app and gps, not a data connection.
    2. Some apps are built to cope without data - the offline sync playlists on Spotify for example
    3. Apps are (should be) optimised for mobile performance - could you play games online with the same fluidity?
    4. Some apps are about utility - a web based app to interact with say, the auto-signature on my device is no good
    5. Apps can be decidedly preferable for international travelers who don't want to consume large amounts of data through browsing
    6. Just like apps, web sites have to be optimised for different operating systems and resolutions - the (English) BBC iPlayer site works on my 9900, but not on my wife's 9860, the (English, BBC) 'Cbeebies' site works on neither.

Not to say that apps are the be all and end all, but I thought it right to add some counterpoints.
    I see most of your points, however;

Point 2. You simply validated my point.

Point 3. Mobile apps are optimized for the mobile performance, BUT not based upon the mobile browser. Mobile apps are completely different from web-based apps. Mobile apps are equivalent to desktop programs. Web-based apps are equivalent to a web-page shortcut on your desktop. The back-end functionality differs.

Point 4. Non-game and utility apps will never go but my perspective was more for websites (ESPN, Pandora, Facebook, Twitter, CrackBerry Forums, etc).

Point 6. You are still optimizing one site for all browsers, not building mobile applications for mobile platforms. You see that I put emphasis on the s indicating multiple. Reiterating the point that every manufacturer going touchscreen, altering the each mobile platform experience would most likely be minimum.
    12-18-12 11:54 AM

I see most of your points, however;

Point 2. You simply validated my point.
    Apps like Spotify don't work like that - although it saves to the phone, music is only accessible through the app, so if the app was purely web based and I were on a plane, overseas, or somewhere without a data connection I couldn't access my offline synced Spotify playlists without access to Spotify.
    12-18-12 12:13 PM
    the web-based app argument for the playbook and it's resulting market performance is a clear indicator of what the consumer wants.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-18-12 10:38 PM
    The BEST combination ? QT + QML + (C++). Period.
    02-13-13 11:44 AM
    I largely agree with you - in fact I prefer (and often tend to use) web based sites than download apps that merely convey information.

However, apps are still required for anything that delivers content that I might want to consume off-line - e.g. articles; videos (e.g. from BBC iPlayer) maybe even simple information (e.g. I have android apps that tell me about motorcycle parking restrictions for every single borough in London).
    02-13-13 12:03 PM
    Apps for purely web based content are rarely useful. I never use an app for YouTube. I just go in the browser. Same with shopping, I don't download a Best Buy app to look through their catalogue, I use their website. On the other hand, many services are better as apps. Podcasts, gaming, and other media uses are better as apps. It all has to do with the purpose, some are better as websites, and some are better as apps.
    02-13-13 06:02 PM
    I prefer an app where I can select stuff rather than scroll, zoom and type on a website. Sure the display is big but if I've got an app for that purpose it makes me faster and I don't waste too much time on the internet site.
    02-13-13 06:04 PM