Background:

One application that I use fairly extensively that is currently missing from BlackBerry 10 is Groupon. The Android version works really well on BlackBerry 10 but because of the dumb implementation on Groupon's part, it required Google Play Services which is always a hack-job to get set up on BlackBerry 10 and has a tendency to cause all sort of other issues.

What I am asking:

Therefore, I would like to request for somebody to write a Groupon app for BlackBerry 10. The API can be found here Groupon API. The application has to be written in Cascades (i.e., native) for BlackBerry 10, be compatible with all current and future BlackBerry 10 devices including properly utilizing the screen space available on the BlackBerry Passport and other future large resolution devices, provide HUB integration for notifications that tie back to the application, has to be at minimum as functional and feature-rich as the Android application, and be professionally put together. I am after a high-quality application here, not a hack-job. I want to be frank about this because there are many bad applications in BlackBerry World. The application also has to be supported after development. I absolutely do not want to have somebody write this once and then never touch it again for any updates. Finally, the application has to fully comply with Groupon's terms and conditions for developing applications using the Groupon API.

What I'm willing to do:

Depending on who responds and what we manage to work out, I am willing to discuss some sponsorship for development, or possibly even a Kickstarter campaign. I am sick of having to rely on junky Android ports just to make my BlackBerry 10 work well.

If interested, please PM me or reply to this thread and let's get talking
    11-15-14 11:49 AM
    No takers?

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 02:38 PM
    Curious question, what could an app offer that the mobile site can't?

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 01:35 AM
    Significantly faster and more fluid access.
    Faster navigation.
    Better content organization.
    Better localization.
    Greater consistency.
    Better visual interface.
    Better account integration.
    Real-time actionable notifications.

A lot is offered by a native app in fact when compared to the mobile site. I won't compare desktop to app because that's even slower and clunkier.

Posted via CB10
    rhitdoph and KKruglov like this.
    11-17-14 10:21 AM
    That would be nice. +1
    11-17-14 01:41 PM
    Significantly faster and more fluid access.
    Faster navigation.
    Better content organization.
    Better localization.
    Greater consistency.
    Better visual interface.
    Better account integration.
    Real-time actionable notifications.

A lot is offered by a native app in fact when compared to the mobile site. I won't compare desktop to app because that's even slower and clunkier.

Posted via CB10
    What price are you willing to pay for the app and it's development?

I don't think that you'll get lucky. The mobile version of the website works just fine for the average, IMO.

My account integrate into the top right corner. Where is it in the Android app?

Anyway, what are the "actionable notifications" and "consistency"?
    11-17-14 02:24 PM
    Developing a BlackBerry app for Groupon has the same pitfall as developing third party apps for other online content providers: ultimately you are dependant on them for permission for your app to exist and they can shut you down at any point if they take fancy. You need to first read and understand their TOS and what restrictions they impose both now and in the future.

Additionally, as with many other content providers, using their API requires requesting a personal API key (client ID) which cannot be disclosed to anyone. Use of the API for an app would mean either embedding the key in the app (could be extracted by a malicious user even if encoded) or proxying of authorisation and/or API requests (expensive).
    The normal permitted use case is that the key is used exclusively server side.

If you are serious/desperate about developing this app, then I suggest getting in contact with Groupon first and see if they will support your efforts to make an official client. They are really the main benefactors of it, they probably just don't want to be saddled with any costs.
    Marios199546 likes this.
    11-17-14 03:42 PM
    1. Will Groupon allow it. Better check with them first. They control the API and keys.
    2. Is the API complete? Can you do everything that can be done with the iOS and Android versions of the Groupon apps.

When you have the answers, we can talk about the rest. I have used REST services in my Cascades apps and I have developed some of my own APIs.
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-17-14 04:14 PM
    I took a quick look. You will not be able to write a Groupon app with this API. There is no user API. Case closed. Ask Groupon to make an app.
    11-17-14 04:25 PM
    I took a quick look. You will not be able to write a Groupon app with this API. There is no user API. Case closed. Ask Groupon to make an app.
    What do you mean by "there is no user API"?
    11-17-14 05:54 PM
    What do you mean by "there is no user API"?
    There is no API to actually login to Groupon to purchase anything. If you can't login, there is no way to purchase or track your purchases. Take a look again at the API and you will see it is very limited. The only way to get around the lack of API details is to make the app a website which you already have access to via the browser.
    baarn likes this.
    11-17-14 06:06 PM
    If the price you're willing to give is great to the eye then why not

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 07:14 PM
    If the price you're willing to give is great to the eye then why not

Posted via CB10
    PM me what you think an effort like this would be worth

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 08:17 PM
    PM me what you think an effort like this would be worth

Posted via CB10
    Just post your offer maybe.. and not only me can see but also others that will be willing

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-17-14 08:45 PM
    I can't. I'm not really qualified to scope out the work. I need to know the amount of effort involved.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 09:11 PM
    Anyone?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 09:10 AM
    Anyone?

Posted via CB10
    You are most likely not going to get anyone. There is no public user API for logging in. So you will have have someone with the skills to figure out the login API and Groupon may not be happy about that and shut down the project.
    12-08-14 09:21 AM
    I would be willing to make one using Groupon's available API but as users have already pointed out, this would mean that logging into Groupon through the app wouldn't be possible

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 10:58 AM