It's like any other android application.. choppy and non-responsive for the most part.

It works but running android apps on BlackBerry is a pain.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 06:43 AM
    This is a preview. The actual app hasn't been released yet.
    05-20-13 06:54 AM
    Works fine for me albeit it is quite laggy and it takes a few mins before it logs me in. Also i have found with me being logged into Skype but no active frame, my battery life was absolutely horrendous and my battery was getting quite warm even though i wasnt using it.

But for the time being it does the job but i dont know what it is with these damned Android ports, majority of them are absolute rubbish and cause more issues than necessary. I know the Android runtime will be updated soon so that may fix alot of issues. One Android port i had was the ebay app, dear god that was a pile of trash with the way it just ate my battery up.

Seriously though i hope Skype make a native proper version for us BB10 users...i always knew it was going to be an android port when they announced it but seriously Blackberry needs to do something and get these big name app developers to make these apps native.
    05-20-13 06:59 AM
    Don't use it then. Simple. Beggars can't be choosers.
    Hey, I'm extremely pessimistic about BB's future, but have we gotten to this point? :-) Crackbeggars???
    05-20-13 07:22 AM
    With all the time they're putting into it, I still don't understand why they didn't just make a native app to start with.

Posted via CB10
    True. *Yawn* Yeah, I deleted it for the same reasons.....even reinstalled- just in case. Nope, SOS. So, another app I can do without for now. I may reinstall it later.
    05-20-13 07:29 AM
    With all the time they're putting into it, I still don't understand why they didn't just make a native app to start with.

Posted via CB10
    You obviously don't understand app development...
    05-20-13 07:32 AM
    Awful app. Made with Windows 3.1 mentality. Laggs. Zero user privacy. (http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ything-808008/)
    I guess its good enough for people who want some kind of video chat. No go for messaging only.
    05-20-13 10:08 AM
    Works for me fine... video quality is grainy though.. the native BBM video quality is way better... dont use either much though to be honest
    05-20-13 11:50 AM
    You obviously don't understand app development...
    maybe not as well as you do, but maybe you can help me to understand? From the info I have, I made a pretty objective post here:

It's a preview version but mine doesn't stay logged in when not in active frame. It's 50/50 for me. So I get no calls or messages when not running most of the time. When open the features works, a little laggy, but again it's not a simple port and repackage and they have been developing for months.. the CB10 app was created by one guy in one month, and it is quality stuff. Sure, Skype probably has more work to do in the back end and wherever else, but with the time they've spent and the time they're continuing to spend until an official, non-beta release, they could have maybe made a native app.

Posted via CB10
    Can you enlighten me? This is my stance on the subject. I know apps cost a lot of time and money, and you can see my understanding of this in my quoted post above. So? Let me in on some extra scoop.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 03:45 PM
    For me it has not been a good experience. The app is buggy and lags. It's pretty worthless. Hope they make a native app soon

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 08:48 PM
    I honestly have to say, this is a unresponsive and laggy app that barely works as intended... how is this supposed to be used in this condition?

Is it laggy and unresponsive for anyone else or did I do something wrong.

Posted via CB10
    The sound level is my biggest problem. Can barely hear who I'm talking too.
    05-20-13 09:35 PM
    Having read through the comments in this thread, I have found my own impressions are echoed in a lot of the statements I've seen.

Some of those are:
    - it's laggy, but it works, but it's laggy, but it works (usually), but it's laggy (usually)
    - a native app would rock

However, since I installed Skype I noticed a capability disappear today. From the day I installed it, I was able to switch audio devices during either an audio-only call, or during a video call. There was a little button along the bottom ribbon of the screen in between the Mute Audio button (second from the left) and the Show messages button (second from the right). The little button allowed me to switch between Speaker and Earpiece.

As of today, I still have that little button when I am in an audio-only Skype call, but not when I am in a video-skype call. In fact, when I am in an audio-only Skype call, as soon as either of us enables video, that button vanishes.

The reason this affects me is because I use a BlueTooth headset. I used to be able to use in on Skype video calls on the Z10, but now when a video Skype is initiated (either by calling or by adding video to an established ) the audio reverts (or defaults) to speakerphone, and without my button to switch to headset, I can't use the headset. Even if I cancel video and take the call audio only, switch to headset (with the re-appearing button), then turn video back on, the audio reverts right back to speaker.

Before today, I did not have that behaviour. The button to select audio devices was present during a video call. Not sure what happened.

I have reset the phone, I have uninstalled and re-installed Skype a few times (both from BB World initially, and now also using the leaked bar), settled back on the BB World version, and also signed in using my skype ID as well as my MicroSoft ID.

No joy.

I;ve been in touch with Skype Tech support and sent them screen shots, they will (hopefully) pursue the matter on their end... in the mean time, anyone else had this issue?
    05-20-13 10:41 PM
    So far I have very reliable experience with BlackBerry 10 Skype app, it performs almost as well as my Note 2. I have been Skyping with my family in Australia on a regular basis without any issues.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 12:59 AM
    So far I have very reliable experience with BlackBerry 10 Skype app, it performs almost as well as my Note 2. I have been Skyping with my family in Australia on a regular basis without any issues.

Posted via CB10
    You don't have serious battery drain with Skype installed???

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 08:17 AM
    I've uninstalled, rebooted, updated my leak and still cant get my camera to respond with this app on my STL100-3 with T-mobile
    05-21-13 10:48 PM
    It is a little laggy and some of the buttons dont work that well on my Q10, but IM and video calls work well. My problem is with sharing files.... in that it won't. After selecting a photo or something, it will return me to the chat box but thats it... oh apart from it will wipe the chat history and generally get all buggy, which is quite annoying. Anyway, grateful for the app which I'm using a lot, but really hoping for a native on.
    05-22-13 06:52 AM
    Works well for me as well.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 06:57 AM
    Who cares about Skype soon when Bbm gets launched on iPhone and Android. Skype and WhatsApp will no longer be needed
    I care about Skype as it means I can chat to family in South America who don't use smartphones.

Oh and when BBM goes mullti-platform... iPhone and Android users are goona ditch whatsapp and switch why exactly?
    05-22-13 06:57 AM
    I care about Skype as it means I can chat to family in South America who don't use smartphones.

Oh and when BBM goes mullti-platform... iPhone and Android users are goona ditch whatsapp and switch why exactly?
    the ones with blackberry friends or people that used to use BBM.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Dave Bourque; 05-22-13 at 11:17 AM.
    05-22-13 07:08 AM
    I sideloaded the Android app as soon as I got my Z10 and it has worked perfectly since. The video quality is great. I have experienced no issues.
    05-22-13 10:44 AM
    I was going to start a new thread "How to improve Skype by making it native and using peek & flow"... but then I saw this topic... but as I write this, I think a separate post would be better.
    05-22-13 11:54 AM
    I honestly have to say, this is a unresponsive and laggy app that barely works as intended... how is this supposed to be used in this condition?

Is it laggy and unresponsive for anyone else or did I do something wrong.

Posted via CB10
    Weird I tested it twice and it worked for me just fine
    05-27-13 05:44 AM
    I wonder if the different experiences expressed here are due to different OS's installed. I noticed improved performance of Android ports (Waze, for instance) as I installed later and later 10.1 leaks.
    05-27-13 06:03 AM
73 123