Actually it is narrow minded to think that the only way you can do something is with an app.
    Wow - sounds like the words of Jim Balsillie when the iPhone came out.
    03-13-13 10:00 AM
    You need to realise that this is a new OS, when Apples IOS first came out you didn't have all of these apps, give the developers time and hopefully we will see more apps come in the future.

Posted via CB10
    You are absolutely right. It is five years later and the Z10 was delayed twice (or was it three times) to get it right and launch with the applications people want. I understand all you need is a browser, but people actually want Skype and Netflix and Instagram and Lync and a whole bunch of others. And the developers are apparently Committed. Which is a bit different than delivering.

Comparing this to when the first iPhone came out is nonsense. The iPhone changed the game (and BlackBerry FKA RIM) missed the boat and have been playing catchup ever since.
    03-13-13 10:02 AM
    Two points... expectation and reality.... again.. what do users expect from a first gen device...if it was out for 9 to 12 months and this was the case I could understand the OP issue...but really.... How do you "make" a developer do an app for an untested platform.... another great example of the me generation who has to have everything now...and when they do not all you hear is complaints.... Maybe people should have waited as I plan to..... till the phone has what I need....
    03-13-13 10:08 AM
    You need to realise that this is a new OS, when Apples IOS first came out you didn't have all of these apps, give the developers time and hopefully we will see more apps come in the future.
    Posted via CB10
    However, when Apple's iOS first came out there was zero competition. Today, BB10 devices are sitting on shelves next to several competing models. The discussion isn't about whether a browser can do what an app does. What does matter in the mass consumer market, folks who are not loyal to a certain phone brand and have no idea forums like CrackBerry even exist, expect certain things from their phone and BlackBerry & BB10 devices are going to have to deliver these things or consumers will go elsewhere for their devices.
    cooliosam likes this.
    03-13-13 10:10 AM
    Yeah I understand what you're saying about there was no competition back then but if you look at it from a developers point of view they are more than likely looking to see how well BlackBerry 10 will do / is doing and then decide whether or not to create an app for it, like you said they have been playing catch up for a while now and there would be a lot of time wasted developing g if BlackBerry 10 were to fail (which I personally don't think it will as I think the os is a million times better than Apple)

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 10:24 AM
    However, when Apple's iOS first came out there was zero competition. Today, BB10 devices are sitting on shelves next to several competing models. The discussion isn't about whether a browser can do what an app does. What does matter in the mass consumer market, folks who are not loyal to a certain phone brand and have no idea forums like CrackBerry even exist, expect certain things from their phone and BlackBerry & BB10 devices are going to have to deliver these things or consumers will go elsewhere for their devices.
    Great point, I have been saying the same thing. I have always looked at history and have learned some valuable lessons from it which have kept me self-employed for the past twenty years, heres one example:

I remember when a great engineer named Preston Tucker who came out with a car that was way ahead of it's time and had stuff that no other competitor had. The problem was that the rest of the world had already adopted to the other three manufactures i.e. GM, Ford & Chrysler and you seen what happend to the Tucker.
    03-13-13 10:55 AM
    The apps will come. The Android runtime is a stop gap measure, but since BlackBerry made all the right choices for the future of app development native apps will replace Android apps over time.

BB 10 is not the only new platform. There is also Tizen, Firefox OS, Ubuntu, Sailfish OS, and more.

But you know what all those platforms have in common? HTML 5 and and Qt. That's the future of apps and BlackBerry is leading the pack
    03-13-13 11:24 AM
    The phone is hardly a month old. Yes apps are important. (not so much to me but to the rest of the world) I believe you will see most of these apps show up eventually. If you didn't think that there would be a lack of popular apps within the first month of the release of a entirely new phone with an entirely new operating system I don't know what you were thinking or smoking but pass it this way please. The major ones people cry about are either available side loaded, here or coming shortly. Everyone has some app they want and need and it's the most important app to them. But there are millions of users and probably most of them have a different opinion of what that app is that will 'make or break' the phone for them. Many decent apps are here. Not all of them, many are coming, not all of them and some can be side loaded. for a month old phone with a new eco system I'd say its not a bad start.

The app I want more than any is the SiriusXM Canada app. Guess what it's not here yet and theres no time line. I'm not going to jump ship. The phone works flawlessly for me in most other ways.
    I hope the apps that everyone needs show up soon. I have a feeling most will. It's a new platform it just may take time. And if they don't come then maybe you'll have to consider a different platform that will suit your needs better?
    03-13-13 11:55 AM
    apps you mentioned are becoming glorified launchers when mobile websites are taking over the job

Posted via CB10
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    03-13-13 12:05 PM
    Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 12:39 PM
    Wow - sounds like the words of Jim Balsillie when the iPhone came out.
    When the iPhone came out it didn't have ANY apps...

If you're going to try to troll, at least get the facts straight.

Posted via CB10
    bitek likes this.
    03-13-13 02:44 PM
    Yes, I'm a troll. Had BBs since before you were in long pants.
    Not a troll - just a reasonable voice amongst the fanboys.
    03-13-13 02:46 PM
    @Zero - here - How Jim Balsillie First Discussed the Competitive Threat of iPhone to the BlackBerry - Forbes - read something before you make another ignorant post.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    03-13-13 02:48 PM
    I am not big on apps, but i do believe not everything can be done through the browser. Do I feel that HTML will be the next step in mobile applications, absolutely, but we are nowhere close to that point yet. To say someone is wrong because an app they need is not available, really isnt the right way to approach the situation, since everyone's situation is going to be different. Most developers, like most analysts, probably believed that Blackberry was dead. How could you not, a phone company that hasn't put out a new phone in over a year doesnt seem like a healthy environment to develop for. So in the developers defense, why put time into a company that may not be around. Also, do you think they were going to research daily to see how Blackberry was doing? I dont think so. I think now that the attitude of the Media has changed, so will the devs and with that the applications. So now comes the waiting game and the words that I hate the most "coming soon".
    03-13-13 03:09 PM
    I have to say the lack of apps is frustrating, if it wasn't for side loading the Z10 would be in the drawer collecting dust next to my dusty playbook ... i will be patient and see what comes out the pipe!

Sent from my Z10
    03-13-13 03:21 PM
    Sure. Sure.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 03:27 PM
    Also, I found a Craigslist app in bbw by mistake ten minutes ago. Some of you aren't even trying.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 03:29 PM
    I have to say the lack of apps is frustrating, if it wasn't for side loading the Z10 would be in the drawer collecting dust next to my dusty playbook ... i will be patient and see what comes out the pipe!

Sent from my Z10
    I am from the USA and I was just showing my shiny new BB Z10 to a couple of folks at Starbucks who had a iPhone 4 and a Galaxy S3. They picked it up and said how it felt simular to the iPhone and that the screen was beautiful, the BB Hub and BB Flow was cool, but the first question they asked me was, is the New BB App store any better then my old blackberry was?

I did not know what response to give them based on whats currently available, I went on to explain how OS10 is much better then the old OS and so on, but they said they liked the quality of the iPhone and Android apps and how they used the them for everything from banking to comparing the cost of a product in the store and would be willing to change, if the Blackberry offered the same functionality, Hum?

As I said in my previous post, the phone culture is different here and I am hoping that when the Z10 launches here for the general public in a couple of weeks, there are at least a couple of commonly used apps that exist in the competitors platforms that are available in the OS10 BB World to spark they're intrest in the Z10. Otherwise the salesperson in the store is going to point them to a product that does.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    03-13-13 03:57 PM
    Also, I found a Craigslist app in bbw by mistake ten minutes ago. Some of you aren't even trying.

Posted via CB10
    I also found the same app and paid the 4.99 they wanted for it and it needs some serious work but I can live with it for now, but remember the standards to which all apps are being judged have already been set by you know who.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    03-13-13 04:02 PM
    Agreed. Launched with 70000 apps, but like 69990 of them are useless.
    Downloaded and tried them all, have you?

I think it makes sense to point out the specific apps that I missing. Write BB's dev relations team. Ask the developer if they have plans too.

Just avoid making sweeping comments about a library you have not tried all the apps in. :-)
    03-13-13 04:06 PM
    Reasonable for sure. Glass half empty typically vs. Glass half full? Also true.
    bb10_fan likes this.
    03-13-13 04:09 PM
    Comparing this to when the first iPhone came out is nonsense. The iPhone changed the game (and BlackBerry FKA RIM) missed the boat and have been playing catchup ever since.
    The catch up was the real problem. The iPhone changed the game with its intuitive touch interface, slick performance and game changing browser. Out of the gate, it also lacked a boatload of things - copy and paste, third party apps, enterprise manageability, high end security features, multi-tasking, over the air updates.

Where you really saw the problems was in how quickly Apple moved to fill in those pieces. Every time RIM tried to improve (and they did try), it felt like Apple lapped them on something, while filling in another hole. It was like RIM was tripping under its rapid growth while Apple was sprinting under Jobs' well oiled machine.

Could be wrong on this, but it also felt like the old guard first thought they could simply update that creaky old java platform to be competitive. They kept trying to make improvements and it not quite doing it. BlackBerry 7.1 has tons of improvements when you put it next to BlackBerry 4.2.2. But you feel the creaky weight in many spots too when you compare it to iOS, Android, Windows Phone, WebOS ... and yes, BlackBerry 10. Then they realized (like Palm and Microsoft and Nokia) that they had to start over and bought the pieces to do so. Except building a platform is not a 'light' task, taking them 2010, 11 and 12 to do.
    03-13-13 04:16 PM
    Well put

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 04:23 PM
    Hey Chris! Thanks for the update on TD app for Z10...! Hope it will come sooner than later!
    Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 04:27 PM
    Reasonable for sure. Glass half empty typically vs. Glass half full? Also true.
    True indeed. After being called a troll by someone who has no idea about my history with BlackBerrys (yep, first one was a 950, then a 957 - sitting right here on my desk) then perhaps I am viewing it half empty.

I also don't seem to want to settle for half full. I expected more. I read about the hype (here) for months. Hype that couldn't possibly have been reached. Is the Z10 good. Yes. Absolutely. Great and game changing? Not in my opinion. Yes it is a 1.0 version. But I have read on this very forum that the PlayBook was the 1.0 version. Bought one of those full price on day one. Not my cup of tea (sorry Brits). The Z10 is certainly no PlayBook (I say that in a positive way as I think the PB was a failure) but it just isn't as good as the hype...
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    03-13-13 08:11 PM
146 1234 ...