Just got a forced message from BlackBerry in the Facebook messaging app it's all over now

Posted via CB10
    11-30-16 03:58 PM
    It's all over for Facebook messenger-img_20161201_085841.png

Posted via CB10
    11-30-16 03:59 PM
    Can't send messages now they don't show up

Posted via CB10
    11-30-16 04:00 PM
    Guess it's time to move on now thought it would still work as much as I don't want to give it up I'm done now.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-16 04:01 PM
    Yup, just got that message today. This totally sucks donkey ****! Only reason I kept the old Facebook app installed was for the messenger in the hub. Going to give Messenger Pro a spin to see how it works.
    It's getting harder and harder to keep using BB10 when the app support keeps dropping left and right.

Posted via the amazing Passport
    11-30-16 05:58 PM
    Actually, I can send out messages, but the history of messages doesn�t update.
    11-30-16 06:05 PM
    Funny nermory updated his messenger app today :/

Posted via CB10
    11-30-16 08:10 PM
    So, I've been dreading this moment far more than the death of Whatsapp. Since it has happened today (and, yes, it seems that we can still send messages but not actually get updates of the conversations anymore), I've been looking for an acceptable alternative.

I've tried the official facebook "Messenger" app for Android about a week ago (in preparation for this gloomy day). It runs pretty smoothly but man what a battery hog! If I used my Passport as my daily driver, perhaps I could live with it but, even still, I don't want any one particular app to use that much battery... so, it got deleted.

I've had Nemory's Messenger for BB10. Seemed to run smooth but I also had a hit-or-miss experience with the Hub notifications. Paid for the pro version right from the beginning. Spotty notifications for a messaging app defeats the purpose so I no longer use this one. I must confess, it has been a good while since I've used it so there is a chance that this has been improved on since. That chance could be rather small though - those who can read through the lines would already know why.

Tried Messenger Lite for Android. A bunch of ads plagued me and there was no way that I could find to pay and get rid of them. That bothers me. I really don't like being ambushed by ads ever but especially in a messaging app. I will always pay for every app that I will keep on my device and, since I couldn't find an option for that here, that was also deleted.

Then I found an app called "Disa" and my search is complete. It's an app that you can integrate several messaging services into to have them consolidated (even conversations from specific contacts can apparently be consolidated into one conversation using this app). I haven't tried to use it for anything other than facebook yet but I must say it runs very smooth and stable for an Android app. The only downside I can find is that the notifications are delayed a bit if you don't have the app already open. This isn't a big deal because, for me, if someone wanted to reach me instantly, they wouldn't be using facebook to message me. The delay is only 3 - 5 minutes which, again, I am totally OK with. I haven't been using it long enough to report on battery consumption but I have a feeling it will be worlds better than the regular Android Messenger app. It also has a Whatsapp client so I'll be sure to give that a go, too, once Whatsapp draws it's last breath.
    nealjane likes this.
    11-30-16 08:17 PM

Then I found an app called "Disa" and my search is complete.
    Interesting. Please keep us updated on how you progress with this.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2836
    12-01-16 05:59 AM
    Just use this older APK of the official Messenger for Android (not the lite version).

here:

http://www.androidapksfree.com/apk/m...-apk-download/

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    12-01-16 09:04 AM
    Interesting. Please keep us updated on how you progress with this.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2836
    I've had it running for the day. Definitely more battery drain than what the native BB10 app had prior (which was next to nothing) but significantly less than the official messenger app for Android.

Notifications are reliable (only perhaps less than "instant" if you don't have the app open). The notifications are the same as any Android app. They go to then general "Notifications" tray in the Hub. I can't figure out how to use my own (or BlackBerry native) ringtones for the app which is the same issue I had with the Android Whatsapp. However, in this case, there are a decent bunch included in the app settings and a couple of them are acceptable (you will probably want to change it from the default "pixie dust" though!)

The app is very nice and polished and seems to have very good support and a good community behind the development. The fact that you can also use it for a Whatsapp client is great for us that don't plan on giving up on BB10 any time soon because essentially it will serve as 2 work-arounds in one.

Honestly, I'm happy with it.

Pros:
    Very reliable notifications
    Consistent and stable behavior (not so common with many Android apps)
    Polished and smooth UI
    No need for Google Services
    Free and no Ads!!! (can't find a catch - paranoid's beware!)
    Ability to consolidate with Whatsapp messages

Con:
    Hub integration is very limited (but same as any Android port)
    Battery drain (however, in my testing, significantly LESS than the official facebook Messenger (including the older versions))

Basically, it's free and you don't need to change anything you have set up on your device already (you can run it at the same time as other alternatives even- I still have the native BB10 facebook on mine too) so you've got nothing to lose by trying it out!
    nealjane likes this.
    12-01-16 11:49 AM
    I don't know what Facebooks logic is for blocking messages, since the protocol is up and running. If you open a message and write to it, the message is delivered.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-16 10:55 PM
    It's crazy and I'm as guilty as anyone but the "App Gap" is really maybe on average 5 or so apps to most people and not having instant mobile access is almost crippling. What does that say? I'm as guilty as anyone like I said.
    12-04-16 12:39 AM
    I have been using Disa for two days now. My experience mirrors yours, although I will continue with Whatsapp for BlackBerry as long as it is supported. I get instant notifications in the FB Messenger plug-in. I really like the overall concept of a single messenger app for all contacts, no matter what service the other contacts use.

tl;dr: it's not all over for FB Messenger. Far from it.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-16 01:54 AM
    I have been using Disa for two days now. My experience mirrors yours, although I will continue with Whatsapp for BlackBerry as long as it is supported. I get instant notifications in the FB Messenger plug-in. I really like the overall concept of a single messenger app for all contacts, no matter what service the other contacts use.

tl;dr: it's not all over for FB Messenger. Far from it.

Posted via CB10
    What about hub integration ?
    12-04-16 02:24 AM
    12-04-16 04:09 AM
    What about hub integration ?
    It's exactly as TheBirdDog describes.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-16 04:10 AM
    It's exactly as TheBirdDog describes.

Posted via CB10
    Which is: "Hub integration is very limited (but same as any Android port)"

Could you please be more specific ?

Thanks
    12-04-16 08:19 AM
    The notifications are the same as any Android app. They go to then general "Notifications" tray in the Hub.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-16 08:53 AM
    Which is: "Hub integration is very limited (but same as any Android port)"

Could you please be more specific ?

Thanks
    If you have an unread message, you will receive a notification in the general "notifications" part of your Hub. It will show you who your message is from and preview the first bit of the message...

You will not have separate notifications for multiple messages; it will ONLY show you the most recent. You also won't be able to look through old notifications to keep track of your conversations. You'll need to open the app every time.

Really, perhaps I should have said "No hub integration" as you just get a notification if you have a new message but there is nothing that let's you communicate through the Hub itself.
    12-04-16 09:09 AM
    Thank you very much guys !
    Really appreciate it.
    12-04-16 11:00 AM
    What are you talking about I meant fb messenger is all over for BlackBerry version I'm not talking about android ports. Native proper hub integration. So yes it's far over for it. Run android ports all you want I am too I'm just saying it's just that an ANDROID port so no point putting the too long didn't read stuff.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-16 08:52 PM
    What are you talking about I meant fb messenger is all over for BlackBerry version I'm not talking about android ports. Native proper hub integration. So yes it's far over for it. Run android ports all you want I am too I'm just saying it's just that an ANDROID port so no point putting the too long didn't read stuff.

Posted via CB10
    Then you can buy Messenger Pro from BBW, it's a native app.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-16 02:01 AM
    You serious lol....

Posted via CB10
    12-05-16 04:19 AM
    You serious lol....

Posted via CB10
    Why I shouldn't be ?

You have options to have messages from Facebook in BB10.3, just choose one and get over it.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-16 01:32 PM
37 12