Last night I "tweeted" to Alec Saunders (I hate the word "tweeted," and can't say it or type it seriously) about BlackBerry Traffic, and he suggested Waze while I "wait."

I'm a glass half empty kind of person, but in this case I'm gonna look at it as half full, in that "wait" implies that it will be coming (wait for it..) Sometime In The Future. Better than an outright It's Not Coming, right?
    Attached Thumbnails I think BlackBerry Traffic is coming-screen-shot-2013-04-27-12.52.29-pm.jpg  
    mundo472 likes this.
    04-27-13 03:00 PM
    Scrambling for crumbs again, I see....
    04-27-13 03:25 PM
    There will not be a BlackBerry traffic app. He probably meant a BlackBerry maps app with more traffic information (i.e. For BlackBerry maps to have all of the functionalities that BlackBerry traffic has).

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 02:02 AM
    There will not be a BlackBerry traffic app. He probably meant a BlackBerry maps app with more traffic information (i.e. For BlackBerry maps to have all of the functionalities that BlackBerry traffic has).

Posted via CB10
    Yea I'm pretty sure BlackBerry mentioned that there wouldn't be BlackBerry Traffic because it was all built-in or will be built-in to BlackBerry Maps.

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    04-28-13 02:07 AM
    Yea I'm pretty sure BlackBerry mentioned that there wouldn't be BlackBerry Traffic because it was all built-in or will be built-in to BlackBerry Maps.
    Here are the reasons Blackberry Maps is not even close to what the legacy Blackberry Traffic was/is:

BB Maps is missing many of the key features of Blackberry Traffic that were so handy, while using far more resources with unnecessary functionality like moving maps and all the unnecessary power, CPU and data consumption that entails to keep those maps constantly updated.

In addition, the legacy BB Traffic app had:

• Easy to read continuously updated color-coded graph of upcoming traffic conditions
    • Special clickable icons denoting special situations ahead (road work, crashes, other slowdowns)
    • Large continuously-updated "ETA" estimate for your destination
    • Click to send ETA to destination party via email/SMS/PIN, along with short message of user's choosing
    • Dedicated list of destination points for quick startup, including contact details for "ETA notices"
    • "Level of assistance" choice of low/medium/high for complexity of voice instructions
    • Dedicated screens:
    • Traffic conditions with live, color-coded ETA/remaining distance display and special condition icons
    • Turn-by-turn navigation list allowing preview of each turn in route until final destination
    • Travel statistics display with current speed, distance, elapsed/stopped time, average and maximum speeds
    • Single-task "next turn" display (similiar to current maps product)
    05-03-13 11:30 AM
    Here are the reasons Blackberry Maps is not even close to what the legacy Blackberry Traffic was/is:

BB Maps is missing many of the key features of Blackberry Traffic that were so handy, while using far more resources with unnecessary functionality like moving maps and all the unnecessary power, CPU and data consumption that entails to keep those maps constantly updated.

In addition, the legacy BB Traffic app had:

• Easy to read continuously updated color-coded graph of upcoming traffic conditions
    • Special clickable icons denoting special situations ahead (road work, crashes, other slowdowns)
    • Large continuously-updated "ETA" estimate for your destination
    • Click to send ETA to destination party via email/SMS/PIN, along with short message of user's choosing
    • Dedicated list of destination points for quick startup, including contact details for "ETA notices"
    • "Level of assistance" choice of low/medium/high for complexity of voice instructions
    • Dedicated screens:
    • Traffic conditions with live, color-coded ETA/remaining distance display and special condition icons
    • Turn-by-turn navigation list allowing preview of each turn in route until final destination
    • Travel statistics display with current speed, distance, elapsed/stopped time, average and maximum speeds
    • Single-task "next turn" display (similiar to current maps product)
    Okay, but I'm guessing the likelihood is that the functionality of Maps will be improved to include these features. And, in the meantime, Waze looks pretty good.
    05-03-13 11:33 AM
    Okay, but I'm guessing the likelihood is that the functionality of Maps will be improved to include these features. And, in the meantime, Waze looks pretty good.
    Not only do I not have much confidence that all that functionality will be included in BB Maps (especially considering how sparse BB Maps has always been from a feature standpoint), I have no interest in "crowd sourcing my location" with Waze, just like I have no interest in using something like bit torrent to open up my computers to every bonehead in the universe to leech files from me and potentially find ways to break in to my systems over my internet connection in order to save a little time on one other download I want.
    05-03-13 11:56 AM
    Not only do I not have much confidence that all that functionality will be included in BB Maps (especially considering how sparse BB Maps has always been from a feature standpoint), I have no interest in "crowd sourcing my location" with Waze, just like I have no interest in using something like bit torrent to open up my computers to every bonehead in the universe to leech files from me and potentially find ways to break in to my systems over my internet connection in order to save a little time on one other download I want.
    I saw a comment where Alex Saunders had tweeted to the effect that there were lots of updates coming for Maps and recommended using Waze in the meantime

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    05-04-13 12:16 AM
    I saw a comment where Alex Saunders had tweeted to the effect that there were lots of updates coming for Maps and recommended using Waze in the meantime
    I saw the same one, but it was easy to spin that short tweet many different ways, one way could be that there might be plans to bring "BB Traffic-like" features to BB Maps.

I'm getting increasingly skeptical about his tweets anyway.
    05-04-13 05:01 PM
    Let's email them! [email protected]

I just sent the following email to the BB Traffic support team. Maybe BB will take notice and do something about this:

Dear BlackBerry,

I recently upgraded my BB 9930 with the Z10 and was more than disappointed to find the app I live by isn�t compatible with the Z10: BlackBerry Traffic. I am impressed with the overall functionality and usability of the Z10 but the lack of BB Traffic is a real deal breaker. I know that you�ll find many BB users share this major concern. In fact, a simple Google search will reveal the most frequently inquired phrase �BlackBerry Traffic for Z10��

[included a screenshot of google search]

Time and time again, I have personally �converted� Android and iOS users by giving them a simple demo of BB Traffic. BB Traffic became part of my day, every single day. It was a pure and solid display of what BB can do and how they separate themselves from the others.

I can go on and on about how the current Z10 apps (BB Maps, Google Maps, Waze, etc) don�t even come close to the beautiful and simplistic nature of BB Traffic but again, a simple Google search will reveal all the obvious reasons.

The Z10 is crisp, neat, sharp, has a great camera, has a logical menu structure and amazingly useful hand gesture commands� all of this nice, but it doesn�t shave off 20-40 minutes off my daily commute to and from work which saves me gas, time, and makes my wife very happy. Please bring back this magical application for the Z10.
    05-05-13 03:15 PM