When I send a 1.3MB photo, they get a 30KB file unless they 'request HD'.

This is terrible, how do I actually share a 1.3MB photo over BBM without this silliness?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 10:16 AM
    How is it terrible? If they want the HQ, they will request it. If you want to always allow HQ, then select that option in the BBM Settings.
    nico2004 likes this.
    11-14-14 10:21 AM
    I think a toggle like "Always send and receive HD pictures" would be better, so if both parties have it enabled, there's no silly requests involved in this 2014 with huge amounts of data and wifi everywhere.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.1418
    11-14-14 10:28 AM
    I think a toggle like "Always send and receive HD pictures" would be better, so if both parties have it enabled, there's no silly requests involved in this 2014 with huge amounts of data and wifi everywhere.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.1418
    That is on 10.3.1

I don't know about all messenger apps, but many, including MMS, send a reduced file with no option the get the full size photo. I like that BBM gives the option, and it's good that they have added "Always Request/Receive HD", although I wish I could set this by Contact rather then a global switch.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 10:33 AM
    That is on 10.3.1

I don't know about all messenger apps, but many, including MMS, send a reduced file with no option the get the full size photo. I like that BBM gives the option, and it's good that they have added "Always Request/Receive HD", although I wish I could set this by Contact rather then a global switch.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately, that's just "automatically accept HD requests". Someone still has to receive an extremely compressed photo, and then tap on the HD button.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.1418
    WWBlondieDo likes this.
    11-14-14 10:35 AM
    Unfortunately, that's just "automatically accept HD requests". Someone still has to receive an extremely compressed photo, and then tap on the HD button.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.1418
    Yeah, one build I had loaded had both Auto Request/Accept, but for some reason they decided to take the request part back out and added the button right on the message. That's not too bad though.

Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm likes this.
    11-14-14 10:45 AM
    Yeah, one build I had loaded had both Auto Request/Accept, but for some reason they decided to take the request part back out and added the button right on the message. That's not too bad though.

Posted via CB10
    Feedback from the beta community on it wasn't good. Simple as that.
    11-14-14 10:53 AM
    How is it terrible? Because I don't want to share crappy 30KB photos.... I want to share some actual photos I have on my phone with someone else. How is it terrible? Because for each and every photo, the other person needs to request that they are sent for a second time. Back to email. Sigh. Thanks for the replies guys.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 10:55 AM
    I don't know about some of you guys, but I have very limited data. I prefer to get a compressed photo rather than receive a HQ photo. If it's interesting enough then I'll request the HQ. I know some people think why can't I just send a HQ photo at the beginning, but again, it's for the receiver's end that really is what matters. If you set it to automatically accept HQ photos, then if you didn't care about sending the 5mb file then an extra 30k wouldn't hurt you so much.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 11:02 AM
    What about someone you know well who does have good data and whom you have a frequent need to share photos with? It would make so much sense to allow it per contact.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 11:07 AM
    I don't know about some of you guys, but I have very limited data. I prefer to get a compressed photo rather than receive a HQ photo. If it's interesting enough then I'll request the HQ. I know some people think why can't I just send a HQ photo at the beginning, but again, it's for the receiver's end that really is what matters. If you set it to automatically accept HQ photos, then if you didn't care about sending the 5mb file then an extra 30k wouldn't hurt you so much.

Posted via CB10
    What do you think about what I just suggested?

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.1418
    11-14-14 11:15 AM
    Again, just my opinion, even if the person receiving you know has good data, you make the assumption that they would want the photo in HQ. What if the person was abroad and was roaming, wouldn't they want the option of getting a HQ photo and receive it compressed before getting a bigger charge? That can mean a good amount of $ for a photo on roaming. And if you say the person didn't care that is why the HQ option is there. They just need to tap on it. I still don't see why this is bad. Again, this is just pure opinion.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 11:17 AM
    What do you think about what I just suggested?

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.1418
    Your suggestion is okay, but again if one didn't care about the data as much then there's no issue for the extra kb's. By tapping on the HQ is good enough should suffice.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 11:21 AM
    Well, what about family, what about husband and wife, brother and sister, people who want to share files and photos and know exactly where the other person is. It just seems really silly that two people can try to share files and choose to share photo X, and the other person gets a thumbnail quality photo X.

There simply should be an option "Share file as is". And if receiving it is a *real* issue, then why not do it in reverse, the recipient gets a HD file transfer request and can confirm they want it or "Request LD"

If people know each other, know their approximate whereabouts, and know what they want to share, it makes sense that they are simply allowed do this

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 11:22 AM
    How to you send a photo via BBM (serious question)-img_20141114_122258.png

In the latest version of BBM you can have auto accept HD request. And the request HD is directly in the chat next to the picture so it can be requested immediately.

I'm not sure if this version is in beta or not. I'm running Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1016 and BBM that came with it

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 11:24 AM
    Thanks - yeah I have that turned on, it's about as good a workaround as I can expect, it seems.

Thanks for all your comments guys.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 11:53 AM
    Well, what about family, what about husband and wife, brother and sister, people who want to share files and photos and know exactly where the other person is. It just seems really silly that two people can try to share files and choose to share photo X, and the other person gets a thumbnail quality photo X.

There simply should be an option "Share file as is". And if receiving it is a *real* issue, then why not do it in reverse, the recipient gets a HD file transfer request and can confirm they want it or "Request LD"

If people know each other, know their approximate whereabouts, and know what they want to share, it makes sense that they are simply allowed do this

Posted via CB10
    I think in this case as you said they just click the HQ button instead of the photo. This way there's no redundancy as you pointed out. It's just a matter of getting used to it. They press the HQ if they want HQ or press the picture if they don't.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 12:02 PM
    When I send a 1.3MB photo, they get a 30KB file unless they 'request HD'.

This is terrible, how do I actually share a 1.3MB photo over BBM without this silliness?

Posted via CB10
    Brian, I love this feature. In this way the picture is sent in less than a second. I save data usage too. If they want higher quality pictures just tap on the HQ button.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 12:09 PM
    completly agree with you brian,
    blind followers in 2007 was also justifying fee for receiving email on blackberry by paying bes fee was right and all...

please wake up.. op has genuine grudge. is this kind of joke of HD and NON HD??? i mean if its slow connection its all about his network issues, it will take more time to recieve it, as simple as that... need less time, switch to 3g, need extra fast get lte....
    i mean how OP sounds terrible here???
    even to send a pic through bbm there are so many extra clicks to be done to send it... does it mean i am terrible thats why i am irritated? grow up guys.... blackberry is changing try to be honest by urselves...
    11-14-14 02:13 PM
    you know guys why wats app is 3 time more valuable company than whole of blackberry?

they kept it simple, from a 80 yr old to 8 yr old kid can do things easily, smooth without much taking from the basic thing which it does: msg and sharing multimedia...
    on the other hand, BBM is taking things from simple to complex UI by pushing features which is not at all what a messenger is intended to do. ex: channels, stickers, updates(what i am listning to) or did a user change its picture or not and most importantly UNRELIABLE service on other platforms.
    do less thing but make it perfect.... BBM has become so complicated to use by not so tech savvy peeps that u cant force them to use it, as they have to figure out each and every thing to do, from sending pictures to requesting HD. groups are a mess now. to be in the group click several times to see the chat then again go back and see half pictures with comments..... wow no wonder BBM does not even come to top 5 msg apps which was once undisputed king on the hill.....
    11-14-14 02:22 PM
    It is designed to save people's data plans. It is very smart.

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8 / Against The Grain 2BD93EEE
    11-14-14 04:45 PM
    you know guys why wats app is 3 time more valuable company than whole of blackberry?

they kept it simple, from a 80 yr old to 8 yr old kid can do things easily, smooth without much taking from the basic thing which it does: msg and sharing multimedia...
    on the other hand, BBM is taking things from simple to complex UI by pushing features which is not at all what a messenger is intended to do. ex: channels, stickers, updates(what i am listning to) or did a user change its picture or not and most importantly UNRELIABLE service on other platforms.
    do less thing but make it perfect.... BBM has become so complicated to use by not so tech savvy peeps that u cant force them to use it, as they have to figure out each and every thing to do, from sending pictures to requesting HD. groups are a mess now. to be in the group click several times to see the chat then again go back and see half pictures with comments..... wow no wonder BBM does not even come to top 5 msg apps which was once undisputed king on the hill.....
    Just counted it takes 5 steps to send a picture on WhatsApp & it takes 4 steps to send a picture on BBM.

Maybe you are right. I have friends who deleted their BBM & tell me to use :
    - WhatsApp to text them
    - Viber to do VOIP calls
    - email to send pictures especially if it is an animated GIF because WhatsApp compress the picture & the animations is stripped
    - Line when I want to use stickers to communicate with them
    - print out documents, take a picture of these documents & then send the pictures to them if I need to send documents to them.
    - facetime to do video calls not knowing that facetime is only for iPhones.

My friends much prefer to have these apps to do these things rather than just 1 app to do everything. I guess this is much easier for people to use. I'm still struggling to understand this.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 09:25 PM
    Just counted it takes 5 steps to send a picture on WhatsApp & it takes 4 steps to send a picture on BBM.

Maybe you are right. I have friends who deleted their BBM & tell me to use :
    - WhatsApp to text them
    - Viber to do VOIP calls
    - email to send pictures especially if it is an animated GIF because WhatsApp compress the picture & the animations is stripped
    - Line when I want to use stickers to communicate with them
    - print out documents, take a picture of these documents & then send the pictures to them if I need to send documents to them.
    - facetime to do video calls not knowing that facetime is only for iPhones.

My friends much prefer to have these apps to do these things rather than just 1 app to do everything. I guess this is much easier for people to use. I'm still struggling to understand this.

Posted via CB10
    Lol,
    I am giving you answers step by step not to clear ur ignorance but dhowing the real issues if bbm.
    1: steps taken for attachibg pics: well try to attach multiple pics and let me know who does it user friendly, easy and fast.
    2: wats app to text and viber to call: whats the problem in it if the service is easy to use and reliable, dosent we have so many photo apps apart from having photoshop app but its so user unfriendly thst many ppl use other apps for specific purpose. Esp if a 80 yr old want to use it or a 8 yr old. You cant even figure out how to add friends in bbm(for new person).
    3: animated gif: really?? I mean really its a big thing to have it? Ill say its on the road of flash.
    4: stickers: yes some kids like it, but fb messenger etc have those ryt and FREE too.... We project as a business tool, does a buss guy need all this? I wonder. Anyways good point to compromise on quality so that stickers and gif can be used.
    Print out docs: where in this world a person can do it? Take a scan app from ny plateform make a pdf nd send, or else there always have dropbox link to send. Ppl who do work on dics on the go store it on cloud. Isint it convinient and easy way?
    Video calls??? U jooking right, its not in ios nd android and audio calls are unreliable.
    Btw i use imo for voice nd video calls, snd wats app for communication, once i had 80+ bbm peeps, now have 8 that too inactive.
    And i am not a blind follower i pay for the gadgets whom i wish to justify my money. Bb q10 is my second phone coz still email mgt is best, rest other things are not so fine in q10 so use iphone as primary phone. But how many ppl do make a purchase desion base on email pref... Well i am not degrading you but yes blindly taking things are not good for a person, we pay for what we expect. If not then wirld show them the door..
    Sorry for my typo mistakes as obviously i am using iphone and even this crap dosent make me leave it as primary phone since its not so imp than having my banking app in iphone...
    11-15-14 12:39 PM