With so little 3rd party messaging support, I am forced to use Gtalk to speak with my girlfriend while abroad (She can't install WhatsApp while abroad - annoying).

1. It does not sync with web chats
    2. Hub integration is shaky at best - seems to think my messages are unread, but doesn't mark them as unread and won't even delete it!
    3. Some messages come through to the Z10, some don't - all depends on if I am signed into Gmail on my laptop or not
    4. No call support - seriously?
    5. App is extremely limited in functionality

I'm getting so fed up with all these little bugs. Did they even test their apps at all? Most of them are terrible or mediocre. Come on BlackBerry, I'm really disappointed. I'm still on the 30 day window and I'm really close to switching for an S4.

EDIT - I'm on the Verizon Z10, which seems to be the root of most problems
    Last edited by pcarson92; 04-07-13 at 10:24 PM.
    04-07-13 10:02 PM
    Thanks for your time.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 10:08 PM
    This isn't a BB problem, it's a Google API problem.
    04-07-13 11:04 PM
    I agree with the OP having come from a Nexus 4. But having also used iOS there isn't even a good GTALK client for it either. Worked awesome only on Android. Sux, but not just for those on BlackBerry 10 but all non-Android OS's.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 11:12 PM
    This isn't a BB problem, it's a Google API problem.
    100% the case. The BlackBerry 10 version is as good if not better than every other Google Talk client that isn't on Android.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 11:19 PM
    I like the gtalk app.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 11:49 PM
    I like Gtalk... never face any problem except when the networking is not good
    04-08-13 07:25 AM
    It's an issue if you use it on your desktop and then switch to your BlackBerry. The conversation doesn't update itself on the device so you're always missing part of the conversation.

Don't get me wrong though I do like it. The point was that Google only allows complete integration with Android for it. So iOS, BlackBerry users don't get quite as good an experience with it.

Posted via CB10
    pcarson92 likes this.
    04-08-13 09:33 AM
    get your girlfriend to use a Z10 as well - all problems solved
    04-08-13 09:53 AM
    Yeah, I've noticed all those issues as well. They probably rushed it just to cover all the Android converts. Gtalk on Windows or Android wasn't anything to write home about though. Time will tell what happens with this babel crap too, but something like Skype, when released, may fill the gap.

Posted on a Z10 via CB10
    04-10-13 02:08 AM
    get your girlfriend to use a Z10 as well - all problems solved
    Yeah, let me spend $600 on a phone without a contract (on a college budget) and ship it to her. Great suggestion.
    04-10-13 01:57 PM
    It's an issue if you use it on your desktop and then switch to your BlackBerry. The conversation doesn't update itself on the device so you're always missing part of the conversation.

Don't get me wrong though I do like it. The point was that Google only allows complete integration with Android for it. So iOS, BlackBerry users don't get quite as good an experience with it.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for the only helpful post in the thread - I didn't realize this was an API issue.

My biggest complaint is the lack of syncing between phone and computer. Are you saying this is impossible with Google's limited API, or did BB just rush the Gtalk app?
    04-10-13 01:59 PM
    I haven't seen any non-official gtalk clients that can fetch previous chat history, but they could be out there. Hopefully this will be resolved when Babel replaces gtalk.

Thank you for the only helpful post in the thread - I didn't realize this was an API issue.

My biggest complaint is the lack of syncing between phone and computer. Are you saying this is impossible with Google's limited API, or did BB just rush the Gtalk app?
    04-10-13 05:03 PM
    Really guys, BlackBerry built the app, not Google. So blame Google for not putting any effort into supporting the platform. If they did, we'd probably see all the neat stuff android devices can do.

Are you going to complain that BlackBerry didn't built Google Maps for the Z10 too? Or did I manage to make my point?
    04-11-13 04:42 PM
    I found the Gtalk app to be much better on my Z10 than on my 9900. On my 9900, I never knew if I was logged in or not, so sending/receiving messages was shaky (at best). On the Z10, I've found that I don't get logged off and switching between computer and Z10 is much more fluid (although not perfect). I use Gtalk every day, so I hope Blackberry continues to improve the app.
    04-11-13 07:11 PM
    I have a question: the googletalk app takes a very long time to load if the active frame is not present. For instance, even after a hub notification alert, if I click on the notification, it goes to the googletalk app and takes a good 45 seconds to a minute to load the contacts and the chat. I saw videos on dev alpha devices when it loaded the contacts and chat instantly after it was launched. Is this just my experience, or is everybody noticing this?
    04-13-13 04:13 PM