If insta10 by nemory and pintagram are examples of what future native apps will look and feel like (like a cross between android apps and cascades), I think BlackBerry is on the right path.

Seeing that on android 5.0, google is trying to introduce their new language, how will this affect BlackBerry 10 ports and "hybrid" apps?

I think native apps like whatsapp clearly show that native still beats an apk or port when done right.

Full hub integration, actionable notifications, instant reply from hub, flow, universal search integration and the like will never come from any android app im sure.

So im hoping that BlackBerry is still trying to push for native apps.

What do you crackberry devs and experts think?

Posted via CB10
    01-30-15 07:39 PM
    They are still pushing for native apps, just not the apps the majority of their consumer base wants. Apps that can be used for business and production are the focus.

And third party still isn't the future. Think about it...Android and iOS are consumed by 80% - 90% of mobile users. So when or if ever they want to try BBRY, they will search popular apps and not find the real thing - most likely not even giving a third party app the time of day.

Why?

Security concerns ("Who is this developer and will they have access to my info? Sketchy!")

Not being able to say that you actually have the real app ("I have that app. Its a bootleg though. ")

No true support...unfortunately in many apps in BBRY World. (" Oh man, the new update on the real app has this or that. I want that. When will the developer update this app?")

I mean...look at the two mobile platforms that are struggling. What do they have in common?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-30-15 08:54 PM
    And don't get me wrong, its great that's BBRY has a few dedicated developers, but there's just a very long road ahead in regards to great native support.

01-30-15 09:05 PM
    If insta10 by nemory and pintagram are examples of what future native apps will look and feel like (like a cross between android apps and cascades), I think BlackBerry is on the right path.

Seeing that on android 5.0, google is trying to introduce their new language, how will this affect BlackBerry 10 ports and "hybrid" apps?

I think native apps like whatsapp clearly show that native still beats an apk or port when done right.

Full hub integration, actionable notifications, instant reply from hub, flow, universal search integration and the like will never come from any android app im sure.

So im hoping that BlackBerry is still trying to push for native apps.

What do you crackberry devs and experts think?

Posted via CB10
    John Chen semi hummiliated this point with the app neutrality. Nemory is a great developer, and I believe BB need to bring more devs or bring interested people to it. Then, when BB gets a good quantity of quality devs, they could try to bring native important apps. Still, those should be more business-production-communication apps, instead of social and unimportant networks. Maybe some entertaining apps (Spotify & Shazam), except games that consumes too many CPU.

Obviously (without offense for sure!), native are better than android ports. I am only using Shazam and Google Maps apks. That can be observed when you use GNU/Linux and use WINE to install Windows apps. The quality is surely inferior.

In conclusion, BB should bring devs and foment the creation of apps. Then, avoid that "app neutrality" issue, because that's how consumerism works (They serve the majority, in this case, iOS, Android and WP).
    01-30-15 09:08 PM
    Pintagram is far from being native.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 01:40 AM
    John Chen semi hummiliated this point with the app neutrality. Nemory is a great developer, and I believe BB need to bring more devs or bring interested people to it. Then, when BB gets a good quantity of quality devs, they could try to bring native important apps. Still, those should be more business-production-communication apps, instead of social and unimportant networks. Maybe some entertaining apps (Spotify & Shazam), except games that consumes too many CPU.

Obviously (without offense for sure!), native are better than android ports. I am only using Shazam and Google Maps apks. That can be observed when you use GNU/Linux and use WINE to install Windows apps. The quality is surely inferior.

In conclusion, BB should bring devs and foment the creation of apps. Then, avoid that "app neutrality" issue, because that's how consumerism works (They serve the majority, in this case, iOS, Android and WP).
    I think people have misunderstood Chen's point. He never said that this would force developers to code for every platform.... but I think the clear example that he mentions is when they've asked Netflix if they can bring their app to BlackBerry 10 and even take the costs to develop it they still said no. Otherwise people have way overblown John Chen's blog to some kind of big fail of the year.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 01:45 AM
    Native apps are still the best!!! More integration

Posted via CB10
    devin266, PapiPabs, hazary and 1 others like this.
    01-31-15 01:48 AM
    Pintagram is far from being native.

Posted via CB10
    It used to be so easy to tell between a port an native.

Now its all a bit blurred to me.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 02:18 AM
    More [useful] native apps would be awesome. Android apps/ports can be hit or miss. Many of them work great now that the OS/runtime has matured, but there are still far too many that are buggy. Especially when they need to be patched.

Plus, I would much rather support developers that put in the effort to make their app function exactly as it should on this platform using native tools.

Posted via BBCB10PP
    01-31-15 03:20 AM
    Plus, I would much rather support developers that put in the effort to make their app function exactly as it should on this platform using native tools.

Posted via BBCB10PP
    That's fine. The only problem is that many apps that are "native" are missing one or two features that are free on other platforms. Or the app costs for...let's say...video or headless. That's the underlining issue.

On other platforms, you pay to get rid of the ads. On BBRY, you pay to simply have the basic app features that should be there for free. That's ridiculous IMO and it has to change.

Desperation is a motherpucker.

Last edited by walt63; 01-31-15 at 08:12 AM.
    01-31-15 05:53 AM
    I mean...look at the two mobile platforms that are struggling. What do they have in common?
    They were both around before Android and iOS existed, and failed to adapt to a quickly-changing landscape?
    01-31-15 06:26 AM
    They were both around before Android and iOS existed, and failed to adapt to a quickly-changing landscape?
    Ding ding ding......and because of that, they both lack a mature and widely supported app ecosystem.
    01-31-15 08:10 AM
    That's fine. The only problem is that many apps that are "native" are missing one or two features that are free on other platforms. Or the app costs for...let's say...video or headless. That's the underlining issue.

On other platforms, you pay to get rid of the ads. On BBRY, you pay to simply have the basic app features that should be there for free. That's ridiculous IMO and it has to change.

Desperation is a motherpucker.

Agreed. That is why I said, "devs that put in the effort to make their app function exactly as it should".

The sad truth is, those developers are becoming harder to find. And who could blame them given the mixed messages/shake ups at BlackBerry recently. Just hoping that things may turn around at some point in the future so we won't have to rely so heavily on Android apps (however unlikely that may be). Forever the optimist...

Posted via BBCB10PP
    01-31-15 08:44 AM
    Hybrid apps are difficult to make but gave a lot of flexibility, that's what I needed : speed of native and I can extend functionality without wait for new API/SDK

-Marco

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 09:10 AM
    With Microsoft investing in Cyanogen, now, isn't it becoming quite clear that app developers only have to make iOS and Android versions to cover essentially all modern mobile devices? If the apps are glitchy on BB10 and Windows Phone devices then I'm pretty sure the developers who create and pay for apps can live with that. In fact, most developers would prefer that there be two platforms rather than one so that one company doesn't control all available features.

If you are a user and you don't like the app experience on your device then it's pretty easy to get a more compatible device at your next upgrade. It's not like users are locked in to their smartphone platform choices these days.
    01-31-15 09:26 AM
    With Microsoft investing in Cyanogen, now, isn't it becoming quite clear that app developers only have to make iOS and Android versions to cover essentially all modern mobile devices? If the apps are glitchy on BB10 and Windows Phone devices then I'm pretty sure the developers who create and pay for apps can live with that. In fact, most developers would prefer that there be two platforms rather than one so that one company doesn't control all available features.

If you are a user and you don't like the app experience on your device then it's pretty easy to get a more compatible device at your next upgrade. It's not like users are locked in to their smartphone platform choices these days.
    All true, but most that haven't switched probably prefer this platform over the others mentioned. I can't speak for everyone, but I have no plans on switching to either on my next upgrade. Have tried both, and while they have superior app selection and some bright points, BB10 is a better fit from an OS standpoint.

I'm fine with using the ported/patched/Snap-installed Android apps. Just saying, would be nice if some of the major app devs threw some effort our way. I understand why they don't, just saying...

Posted via BBCB10PP
    01-31-15 09:40 AM
    I'm fine with using the ported/patched/Snap-installed Android apps. Just saying, would be nice if some of the major app devs threw some effort our way. I understand why they don't, just saying...
    I'm sure that developer and those who pay for their projects understand this. It's just that 10% of their target customers saying "it would be nice" isn't going to show up on their priority list whatsoever, especially if they have access to an Android runtime.
    01-31-15 09:53 AM
    I'm sure that developer and those who pay for their projects understand this. It's just that 10% of their target customers saying "it would be nice" isn't going to show up on their priority list whatsoever, especially if they have access to an Android runtime.
    That would be the "I understand why they don't" part of the statement.

Hopefully, BBRY will come up with something compelling enough to win back enough market share to become a priority (not a priority on their end at the moment given the business-centric approach). Or, get the runtime to a point where more apps run without issue. The latter is probably the more likely case given runtime performance in recent leaks.

Posted via BBCB10PP
    01-31-15 10:04 AM
    Forever the optimist...
    Indeed

get the runtime to a point where more apps run without issue.
    I KNOW RIGHT! Geez. If that's their band-aid to close the app gap, 1. keep it on the latest version and 2. produce a device that's capable of running any app to it's fullest potential, ensuring that the experience is seamless for users coming from Android - which makes me want them to just make an Android OS (incorporating their encryption method). IMHO, that's the best solution.
    01-31-15 10:29 AM
    Indeed

I KNOW RIGHT! Geez. If that's their band-aid to close the app gap, 1. keep it on the latest version and 2. produce a device that's capable of running any app to it's fullest potential, ensuring that the experience is seamless for users coming from Android - which makes me want them to just make an Android OS (incorporating their encryption method). IMHO, that's the best solution.
    It would take more effort to secure android than to simply continue to improve their android runtime...

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 11:15 AM
    It would take more effort to secure android than to simply continue to improve their android runtime...

Posted via CB10
    True, but that's the lazy solution.

02-01-15 04:19 AM
    I'm sure most of us would agree that, for the foreseeable future, native app support looks bleak. I doubt were going to see anything dramatic occur within the next year or two which will change this from BlackBerry or developers.
    Look at it this way...Apple sells 60+ million iPhones a weekend - when they release a newer model - and Android pretty much seems itself due to price point. Chen feels an optimistic number would be 10 million a year! How many phones would BlackBerry need to sell to match the output of Apple and Google before developers start looking at BlackBerry as a new playground to make money? Your guess is as good as mine because there are too many variables, but I think most would agree it's not going to happen anytime soon.
    As for native app support. Some of the good devs we have building for BlackBerry don't even update their apps on a regular basis, or charge way too much for ad free apps, or customising, or hub integration, or even apps that still don't perform as well as native ones to iOS and Android. What I find funny is taking a look at apps built by BlackBerry several haven't been updated in months either. Besides us die hards...why would someone on another platform, who lives and dies apps, switch to BlackBerry 10? Security? Most fluid OS? The hub? Those are reasons thrown around by BlackBerry for two years now and their movement on bb10 devices hasn't changed much. What are we sitting at now for bb10 phones in the market? Anyone want to throw a number out there?
    02-08-15 11:30 AM