So with the recent changed in the company, the privatization, the layoffs, the change of focus back on enterprise; is it the end of the app era for BB10?

I don't see any reason for non-enterprise developers to continue putting out apps if there aren't consumers to buy them. I'll still want a BB10 device if its available outside of enterprise environments, but the number of "consumer" sales will drop far below what they currently are. And that's saying something.

So are we saying goodbye to various mapping/finance/banking/misc apps, as well as games? Are we saying goodbye to Instagram (which kevin still insists is on its way....for some reason)?
    09-24-13 09:33 AM
    More than likely, yes.
    Anyone who currently has something in the pipeline will way the cost/benefit of either releasing or trashing it. Very few development houses will start any new projects. In fact, this likely started even before Blackberry's announcement of withdrawal from the consumer space. This most recent news just solidified that the decision was the correct one, and knocked everyone else off the fence.
    09-24-13 09:38 AM
    Yup. I asked similar question earlier. I've side loaded but not everyone (including me ) wants to do that.

Z10
    09-24-13 09:39 AM
    So with the recent changed in the company, the privatization, the layoffs, the change of focus back on enterprise; is it the end of the app era for BB10?

I don't see any reason for non-enterprise developers to continue putting out apps if there aren't consumers to buy them. I'll still want a BB10 device if its available outside of enterprise environments, but the number of "consumer" sales will drop far below what they currently are. And that's saying something.

So are we saying goodbye to various mapping/finance/banking/misc apps, as well as games? Are we saying goodbye to Instagram (which kevin still insists is on its way....for some reason)?
    From what I gather from blackBerry' response to this article Dear CrackBerry: Is it a mistake to buy a new BlackBerry now? | CrackBerry.com I would expect them to keep on getting apps into the platform, just less focus on trendy stuff and more effort into productivity things. That means that mapping/finance/banking/misc apps are probabbly going to be their focus really, along with other tools to get stuff done.

But I see your point, most developers swallow whatever the media feeds them and will probably halt any app they were working on till they actually get that this all means.
    09-24-13 09:40 AM