The playbook port of DOSBox works great. Is anyone working on porting DOSBox to BB10?

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    10-04-13 06:49 AM
    The playbook port of DOSBox works great. Is anyone working on porting DOSBox to BB10?

Posted via CB10
    Worked with the debug token on 10.1
    Haven't tried it on 10.2

Composed by me. Written by Z10 (STL100-2/10.2.0.1767)
    10-04-13 10:47 AM
    Does this somehow mean I can play kings quest on my bbry?

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 10:59 AM
    Can someone post a link to a dosbox bar file for bb10?

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 07:22 PM
    google is your best friend when you are not able to find anything
    10-04-13 07:27 PM
    I don't recall where I got it but I just installed the 1011 dosbox that I've had on my playbook on the z10. It appears to work but the font size is a bit TINY! Vern Buerg's List opened on the 2013 DEVICE!!! Still amazing.
    10-04-13 08:05 PM
    google is your best friend when you are not able to find anything
    I'm guessing you think it's not trolling if you smile at the end?

Google it. Wow. Thanks for nothing.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 08:05 PM
    I don't recall where I got it but I just installed the 1011 dosbox that I've had on my playbook on the z10. It appears to work but the font size is a bit TINY! Vern Buerg's List opened on the 2013 DEVICE!!! Still amazing.
    Is that a different version than the one in the PlayBook App World?

Or did you get the Bar file from the PlayBook?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 08:09 PM
    It is a version that was floating around, I think, before it appeared in appworld. The issue is that I canNOT read the Labels at the top and bottom which show function keys and cursor/mouse things. They are blurred or something. And bringing up the keyboard is hit and miss. There may be better versions.

Actually, I just found a version in appworld - dosbook BUT it appears to have similar problems to what I observed. I can't get the keyboard up at all and the "buttons" are again blurred. It is probably designed for the q10!
    10-05-13 09:25 PM
    It is a version that was floating around, I think, before it appeared in appworld. The issue is that I canNOT read the Labels at the top and bottom which show function keys and cursor/mouse things. They are blurred or something. And bringing up the keyboard is hit and miss. There may be better versions.

Actually, I just found a version in appworld - dosbook BUT it appears to have similar problems to what I observed. I can't get the keyboard up at all and the "buttons" are again blurred. It is probably designed for the q10!
    I'm have a Q10 on Rogers in Ontario and Dosbox isn't showing up in appworld. If think the problems with the keyboard overlay can be addressed by changing the button size in the sdl-controls.xml file.

I'm not sure how to address the keyboard issue. Hopefully A7omic can help!

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 12:13 PM
    I'm have a Q10 on Rogers in Ontario and Dosbox isn't showing up in appworld. If think the problems with the keyboard overlay can be addressed by changing the button size in the sdl-controls.xml file.

I'm not sure how to address the keyboard issue. Hopefully A7omic can help!

Posted via CB10
    Been away for a couple of days. Where is that xml file? I looked around the folders and did not see it? I did use my old conf file that I used with the pb. Or where can I find reference if it can be user-created?
    10-08-13 05:16 PM
    Just a bump. Anyone got any info on getting this going on a z10. I can bring up the internal keyboard, but it doesn't work. Tried to look for the config/xml files but couldn't find them. I checked out the source, and it defaults to the current working directory, so I guess it has a config installed with it. Would really like to get this working - new to BB, so I don't know how to delve much deeper yet.

Cheers.
    11-03-13 08:43 PM
    I haven't been able to find any DosBox bar files and it doesn't show up on AppWorld for a Q10. So I decided to build it myself, starting here:
    DosBox – From GitHub to Your PlayBook | Open BlackBerry News

It builds, but this is a world of pain. Both master and next branches work, although badly (next is slightly better).

First, IMHO, the documentation for the 10.2 API plain sucks. For instance... if a keyboard event is raised, it is accompanied by some flags. WTF do they mean? Any pointers to decent documentation are welcome. Maybe it's me and I need to learn to use Google as someone suggested above (yeah, right.)

Second, I can't believe that the github projects have not seen noticeable activity in last two years. Especially regarding the SDL project which is critical to make this work. Anyways, not complaining; that's why I decided to try fix it myself. It does raise the question whether SDL has a future w/BB10 or not.

Third, the Q10 hardware is a PITA. One of the first issues seems to be that buffered 8-bit screen support is gone (works on PlayBook). Could be SDL, could be me... definitely the crappy documentation doesn't help. Managed to work around it to get it booting, but hopefully not at the expense of CGA/EGA/VGA emulation (not there yet). The keyboard is also a royal pain. Scan codes are all messed up, and SDL has no support for the "sym" key (which the PlayBook does not need). Just figured a workaround for it but it is messy.

Anyways, got to work for a living so no much time available for this. Good news is that it is easy to build and test. If anyone has C++ expertise and pointers on where to get decent documentation or deal with the issues above, please do let me know. Happy to divide and conquer.

Cheers!
    11-30-13 11:05 PM
    JDoeMT - good luck. The version I've loaded does not look right on the Z10's screen as I noted above.
    11-30-13 11:51 PM
    It works! Well... sort of.

The version I've loaded does not look right on the Z10's screen
    Just managed to start Prince, looking 100% copacetic. Can you do me a favour? Can you visit the URL on my previous post and see if you can get it going on the *.bar you have? Not that it will help me much but at least will tell me how much time have I wasted so far for not much.

Audio works... screen works... game is unplayable because keyboard has no arrow keys nor modifiers, but it responds to the space bar. I'll play with some mappings tomorrow if I have a chance. I still have an "extra" key to work with: the $. The designer for the Q10 keyboard must have thought every email had to be about dollars as to give it it's own key. If I got "sym" to work, I can find a use for that one.

I have no clue (yet) how to package this build as a *.bar and how to post it here (or elsewhere). Once I figure that up I'll post it for someone to give it a try. Beware, though... I have a Q10, so no clue how this might behave on a Z10 (or Z30, or Q5, or anything else). I have no "virtual keyboard" although if the issue is related to the 8-bpp issue there might be an easy way out. It would be awesome if you could post a screenshot to see how bad it is. Anyways, at least it's freshly compiled on BB10.2 and I can step through the code.

Cheers!
    12-01-13 12:19 AM

Found this video on Youtube. Needed a thread to post the link-this one popped up.
    12-27-13 03:47 AM
    Any news about Q10 keyboard mapping? I was unable to find a way to make the keyboard working.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 09:34 AM
    Got keyboard working. It needed changes to the SDL code. The build I ended up with is a Q10 exclusive (haven't tested it w/a Z10 or the emulator).

It doesn't work perfectly. I have modified the mappings and I can get most keys of a 101-key keyboard, but I ran out of options to emulate the F keys.

I am now able to play Warcraft II (that's how I got embroiled in this - it was a challenge) but it's slowish (faster now that I built a release version) and addicted to battery juice. Mouse emulation is also weak. More changes are needed in the SDL layer. Right now you can only "click" or "click + move" but there is no way to just "move" or to "drag". Right click is impossible (haven't thought a way to implement it.) Will make a small fix soon to allow "moves" independently from a "click".

Latest code also fixes orientation. Nice to see from video above that is messed up in Z10 too. I thought it was a Q10 problem.

Unfortunately work comes first, so I'm not touching it anymore until I get some more free time. I uploaded the *.bar in case anyone is interested but I refuse to support the app in case of bugs, issues, bad karma, weight loss or anything else. It will give you some functionality but you need the keyboard mapping file that I will attach later (need to get it out of the phone first).

Pics:
    DOSBox for BB10 Z10 Z30 Q10 Q5-img_00000155.jpgDOSBox for BB10 Z10 Z30 Q10 Q5-img_00000157.jpg
    DOSBox for BB10 Z10 Z30 Q10 Q5-img_00000159.jpgDOSBox for BB10 Z10 Z30 Q10 Q5-img_00000161.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JDoeMT; 01-07-14 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Attached BAR file, fixed typos & too many images
    FF22 and magsasaka like this.
    01-06-14 02:13 PM
    Config and map files attached.

They should be unzipped and copied to<device>:/accounts/1000/shared/misc/.dosbox/ I do not know how to make them part of the BAR file to make it easier for anyone interested. If I figure it out I will update the BAR and remove this note. My suggestion is to download the Momentics IDE, use the QNX System Information perspective and load them there once the BAR is installed.

Without these files, it will still work, but:
    - Keyboard is only uppercase/lowercase. No ":" or "\" so pretty impossible to navigate DOS.
    - No directory auto mounted, so nothing much to do one DosBox starts

If you give it a try, please let me know how it goes.

I will also try package the changes I have done and post somewhere, but unsure how or where. The SDL code repository has not been touched in like two years, so I doubt anyone is home.
    Attached Files
    FF22 likes this.
    01-07-14 10:20 AM
    I will see if I have better luck with this on my Z10, yes ZEE!!!! But the one I use on my Playbook does not work well at all on the ZEE!
    JDoeMT likes this.
    01-07-14 12:36 PM
    Awesome. Good luck. Should work. The Q's screen is 720x720 which doesn't really map to the Z's (the ZED's... ) but I can do some quick adjustments for you.

You will really need the map file (the config you can avoid if you want to, but I recommend it). The .dosbox folder gets created after the first run of the application, where the keyboard will behave badly (but well enough to type "exit" and enter). If you can't even type "exit" without the map file, forget it... means the virtual keyboard of the Z is very different from the real one on the Q (the scancodes are different in that case).

Momentics will let you copy the file via drag & drop. Might be a bit of a pain to install it and then configure it to use your Z10, but probably worth in the longer run if you like to meddle with your phone. If I'm preaching to the choir here, my apologies. If you have a better way of getting a file loaded, please teach me a new trick.

The mappings are what I could do with the keyboard and still find sensible. I wanted to post a diagram but haven't got time to make one. Uppercase/lowercase should work. SYM plus most keys (plus SHIFT) will do what is expected. Notable exceptions are "P" which I mapped to ; & :. SYM plus IJKL (or UHJK, can't remember) gives you arrow keys. $ key is CTRL. It sounds nuts but hopefully you don't want DosBox to run WordStar. ALT is right SHIFT (or LEFT... can't remember). The map file is not terribly intuitive but feel free to open it with a text viewing app (again, I advise against WordStar) to see what was done.
    Last edited by JDoeMT; 01-07-14 at 02:09 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-07-14 01:12 PM
    Something just possessed me (spirits - maybe I will imbibe some to assure myself).... I went over to the Google Shop and found a DosBox app and installed it using Snap. It seems to run on the z10 in some basic fashion. I will have to move stuff to its folder and see a bit more. So this was only a preliminary test. I'm not sure if function keys are available yet or not.

Its name is:

adosbox
    01-07-14 09:45 PM
    Got DOSBox running on a Q10, but it doesn't seem to create a folder in which to put the map and config. Shared file permissions are on for DOSBox. Any suggestions for what I might be doing wrong?
    01-20-14 05:51 PM
    Got DOSBox running on a Q10, but it doesn't seem to create a folder in which to put the map and config. Shared file permissions are on for DOSBox. Any suggestions for what I might be doing wrong?
    Hi. Depends what version you are running. Most of the time I've seen the folder created in /accounts/1000/shared/misc/.dosbox . I assume it starts (that is, you have a black screen with a Z:> prompt.)

Most probably your problem is that this folder is invisible to the File Manager, so you will not be able to access it through it. An alternative is to use Momentics (the BB10 development tool) which is a bit of a pain to set up but will let you see the full contents of your phone. Once "connected" to your phone you could try changing the permissions of that folder so it is visible in File Manager.

I have modified the version posted above so that the folder is r/w by everyone and the name is just "dosbox" (no dot). Attached on this post. That way you will see the folder in File Manager and should be able to add the map file and overwrite (or edit) the config file. Cheers!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JDoeMT; 01-21-14 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Found out why folder is not visible.
    altaf.s likes this.
    01-21-14 01:58 PM
    I have modified the version posted above so that the folder is r/w by everyone and the name is just "dosbox" (no dot). Attached on this post. That way you will see the folder in File Manager and should be able to add the map file and overwrite (or edit) the config file. Cheers!
    The modified version works like a dream, thanks so much!
    DOSBox for BB10 Z10 Z30 Q10 Q5-img_20140121_205504.png

DOSBox for BB10 Z10 Z30 Q10 Q5-img_20140121_182652.png
    JDoeMT likes this.
    01-21-14 09:28 PM
51 123