There seem to be 2 ways to share dropbox folders.
    One in the website desktop version seems secure as I invite my wife to share a folder then we both can use it to exchange files and pictures.
    But then I try using the BlackBerry 10 app and try share and select email from a list inc facebook and an email is generated that shows the web address of my data which can be browsed even without logging into dropbox it seems?
    11-09-13 03:04 PM
    Dropbox isn't secure, recently they have admitted to scanning content.

Use bittorrent sync, it's encrypted, doesn't require a cloud and you don't have a size limit.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 03:54 PM
    Personally, I like and use Dropbox a lot. I have the paid version and use 2-factor authentication. With the 2-factor authentication, I feel it's very secure.

@dunaway - Posted with TMO Q10 via CB10
    11-09-13 10:37 PM
    No, consider Dropbox insecure unless you encrypt all your files prior to uploading.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 10:46 PM
    Personally, I like and use Dropbox a lot. I have the paid version and use 2-factor authentication. With the 2-factor authentication, I feel it's very secure.

And does the BlackBerry dropbox app support this?
    11-10-13 01:22 AM
    And does the BlackBerry dropbox app support this?
    Yes, in so much as when you set up or sign into Dropbox with the app, it forces you to enter in your password and the verification code sent via text.

My philosophy on security/privacy is to take reasonable precautions, similar to what we do in real life, i.e. I lock my cars doors so someone won't steal it or the stuff therein, but if a thief really wants my car, he can get in (break the window). The same is true for my house...I lock my doors, but if someone wants in bad enough, they can get in (although they will likely be greeted by a Glock). I could drive an armored vehicle and live in a castle with a moat, but that's not practical, IMHO. Similarly, with my tech/data, I take reasonable precautions against most intrusions - strong passwords and two-factor authentication on all accounts - but if someone really wants to hack you, they probably can.

11-10-13 01:25 PM
    It's too bad dropbox doesn't have the ability to encrypt files with a private key before uploading.

That being said, neither do any of the free services that I'm aware of. Who does?
    11-10-13 02:14 PM
    It's too bad dropbox doesn't have the ability to encrypt files with a private key before uploading.

That being said, neither do any of the free services that I'm aware of. Who does?
    Bittorrent sync encrypts the folder with a private key

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 06:05 PM
    Doesn't seem to have a BB app for it. Hope they make one soon

SQN100-3 pin:2AF2C952
    11-10-13 06:40 PM
    Bittorrent sync encrypts the folder with a private key

Posted via CB10
    I don't want to sync a remote folder, I just want access to it, securely.
    11-10-13 06:59 PM
    There seem to be 2 ways to share dropbox folders.
    One in the website desktop version seems secure as I invite my wife to share a folder then we both can use it to exchange files and pictures.
    But then I try using the BlackBerry 10 app and try share and select email from a list inc facebook and an email is generated that shows the web address of my data which can be browsed even without logging into dropbox it seems?
    I think I'm missing something. Whenever I share something from Dropbox or Box via email, there's no link. It sends an attachment.

Posted via CB10, Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.641
    11-10-13 07:20 PM
    I don't want to sync a remote folder, I just want access to it, securely.
    It allows a secure access to files that you own. I use between different devices to securely access my files.

If I want to share a file I put it in a folder and send/give the private key of that folder. Only the contents of this folder will be accessible and only by the person you shared the private key with.

It's way more secure than Dropbox or any cloud based service as your encrypted files are viewed only by the intended recipient. Furthermore there isn't a size limit.

If you want more security encrypt the files in a TrueCrypt container before sharing.

BitTorrent Sync it's not available to BlackBerry yet.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 07:45 PM