While I do not mind most 'app generator' apps, a few of them really get under my skin. The map apps and books are not too bad, you can just skip them.
    But for example the "App for x" method, they are basically misinforming paying customers through their format. Because those apps do not offer the service they appear to be.

Usually I would ignore this, but those type of apps always shows up as Trending and Top Paid. To me this proves they succeed in scamming customers (not all of us have the tech-know-how to detect scams).

I wonder if a reporting system for scams like this would make a difference, and improve the quality of BBWorld. I would like to hear some other opinions on this.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    Last edited by MrGlenn; 12-08-13 at 01:28 PM.
    Sally Mack and the_igg like this.
    12-08-13 10:10 AM
    Not commenting on any particular app by the way.

I would imagine that it is not unique to BBWorld but all App Stores. The issue has been going on since the Playbook and its ton of ebooks and one particular developer of another series of apps. And the issue is that the developer is (has this changed) permitted to remove bad reviews under the guise of misinformation.

Now, carefully, providing feedback here on Crackberry can help but with adequate info on why something is good or bad - defamation or slander should be kept to a minimum.
    12-08-13 12:30 PM
    You are right I should not have singled out a developer, I edited it to be more in general terms.

Of course reviews and feedback here are good for us, but the majority of BlackBerry owners do not come here and rely on BBWorld to be accurate and trustworthy.

The apps I refer to also have random 5* reviews as soon as they are released, adding to the illusion. What follows is a stream of negative reviews that may be removed, overall these apps still end up with 3-4 stars. I feel this is just the wrong way to approach it.
    Even more now that Android ports are becoming more available, BBWorld just ends up looking like a cheap knock-off instead of the 'high quality' alternative it could be (quality over quantity).

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-08-13 01:37 PM
    Actually, I don't appreciate the many local offline map apps that proliferate, nor many of the ebooks. I would like to see a better way to filter and search through app world. The effect of these 'clutter apps' is that they keep users from finding decent ones. And yes, maybe there is some value to someone for a handful of these apps, but for me they are an annoyance.

Many of them are automatically generated, and don't incur a human labor cost on the side of the app developer (or if so, it is minimal), and so they are much like spam emails. All it takes is a handful of people to purchase, and the (tiny) investment pays off.

Better filtering might help, or as you suggest, users might be able to flag an app as bogus or spam. All this would be up to interpretation, but it might help. Sound like a simple solution.

Bob
    pgg101 likes this.
    12-08-13 02:17 PM
    Yes I totally agree. A report button would be good. So, all those con artists trying to pass off app generator apps as the official apps and charging for it... SMH... And some people get conned and give bad reviews, only for them to remove the reviews. Sigh. Hate these kinds of scams. I want to report these idiots
    12-09-13 09:43 AM
    For apps like the fake Whine app that make money off people expecting it to be something else. Yeah it needs a report function.
    12-09-13 09:47 AM
    Well I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way, I hope at least on BlackBerry's side they can make it a little easier for devs to complain if someone is obviously trying to copy their name/style and charge people for it.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    12-09-13 11:14 AM
    So once again, BBWorld amazes me. This time they actually have the 'App for Spotify' app as a banner!?
    Unbelievable that they would give a developer team a spotlight when basically all they do is make news-feed apps with popular names.
    Reading the reviews shows just how many people 'fall' for this kind of advertising, because they trust App Stores content.
    Does BBWorld need a 'report' function?-img_00000085.png

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    12-19-13 07:10 PM
    Going to shamelessly bump my topic, because the problem has once again arisen.
    _____

For a while it seemed like BlackBerry had brought down the hammer on 'anonymous' developers that were submitting dozens of "App for [crap]" apps. They steal logos from official companies, or even third party developers, and the app itself is nothing but some news feed. Of course technically they do not pretend to be an official app, but everything about the way they are presented is misleading.
    Not to mention the fact that they use generic accounts to leave positive reviews to make sure their apps hit the Top lists in BlackBerry World. And any negative reviews from people that got scammed are promptly removed.

I sincerely hope once again BlackBerry will reconsider giving us an option to report apps/developers, or at least give us the option to put them on a personal Blacklist. Although I guess with the current direction the company is taking, this seems unlikely...

-edit- If you are a part of the Beta Zone, and feel this is an issue please leave your voice here.

tl;dr: Do not automatically trust "App for [x]" apps. A lot of them are fake/useless and just steal the name and icons from official sources.
    04-06-14 08:51 PM
    I'd love to block any app that starts "app for xxxx". No quality control here.

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2141/Telus
    04-06-14 09:26 PM
    YES. I couldn't agree more. So sick of stuff like this:

Does BBWorld need a 'report' function?-img_20140401_174208.png
    Does BBWorld need a 'report' function?-img_20140405_100513.png

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 07:42 PM
    I see a certain contacts app that's costs $99.99. What could possibly make a contacts app worth that much? Is it a mistake?
    04-08-14 12:09 AM
    Viber. Like 4 fake versions of them. I'm actually surprised ppl bought these apps lol darwin?
    04-08-14 03:00 AM
    Viber. Like 4 fake versions of them. I'm actually surprised ppl bought these apps lol darwin?
    Maybe some people assume that a reputable company like BlackBerry which touts its security and professional won't have an app world full of scams. Crazy assumption I know.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 10:50 AM
    Well to be fair, as soon as you read the descriptions they always say "Tips and tricks for" or "News about", they never claim to be actual apps. The worst part (IMO) is the way the use official company branding, because that implies they are somehow affiliated. BlackBerry obviously does not pay attention to the latter.

The take home message here is: do not blindly trust the reviews and always read the description/view the screenshot. Some of these "App for" apps are actually legit, and quite decent! But most of them are just a waste of money.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    04-08-14 12:42 PM
    Maybe some people assume that a reputable company like BlackBerry which touts its security and professional won't have an app world full of scams. Crazy assumption I know.

Posted via CB10
    Or... or.... they could read. Looking at the pics displayed alone, none of them show calls being made. I get what you mean but, ppl are responsible for them selves at the end of the day. Can't hid behind "BlackBerry" for every dumb choice they make. Like ppl who installed leaks and ***** that BlackBerry update messed up their phone. Shaddap
    04-08-14 01:49 PM