Web-searching,
    I found one comment
    insightful:
    "Actually there is no difference.
    All these messengers are proprietary bulls**t, nobody really need.
    Use jabber / XMPP. For chat it is what HTTP is for the web.
    "
    It's a comment about XMPP, which allows interoperability -- the opposite of a closed,
    platform dependent messaging system.

I'm a novice with smartphones AND with may related subjects: mass texting is one.
    It seems that the big new web-based SMS services are growing fast because they
    bypass the $-per-text charge of many SMS and MMS systems. It seems that they
    are all expanding beyond texting so they make me think "leading towards BBM"

I went looking + learning about the latest batch of hopefuls. (cf alternativeto.net)
    Whatsapp, Skype, Talkatone, Fring, Facetime, Tango, Viber, Vtok, Liveprofile,
    Notes:
    It seems to me that (beyond SMSing) in every case the person you�re communicating to
    must have the same Software "X" installed, unless you pay $. ( Correct if this is wrong.)
    There are many ways to "SMS chat" / call / video to mobiles / PCs / Mac s all at same time.
    Some multiplatform more than others, better integrated to Google, Facebook, MSN, Yahoo.
    Some MMS capable (photo/ video/ audio note/ "share a contact" / share a location).
    Some "push notification" better than others. ETC.
    Skype/ Skypeout, Fring/ Fringout , Talkatone, Whatsapp, Nimbuzz, Imo, Gtalk, Vtok
    LINE = works on iPod Touch, iPad, PC, etc using either a phone # or an email address.
    Facetime = Apple only + only for video calls. On wifi, or wireless_better_than 3G
    Tango = Facetime alternative, works on 3G wireless too. Viber = iPhone only

BBM is a non-starter for me. So far.
    No-one I know has BBM. My z10 is my first smartphone.

Can BBM be morphed into something XMPP cross platform? This has been raised before,
    and those who dislike the idea seem to all be oldtimers who cannot articulate anything more
    than a "no". BBM may well be an amazing messaging app but I haven't used it once.
    No-one has explained it to me. I have no BBM contacts. I haven't used BBM
    video or voice once since Feb 6th. If BBM disappeared today I wouldn't realize
    a gol-darn thing was missing. (The preceding is a paraphrase of post #79 from
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...06/index4.html

btw (!) LiveProfile has not been mentioned in Crackberry forums for a long time, and
    I can't find it in BlackBerry world in my z10. (!).
    So, using my z10 browser, i go to LiveProfile - Stay Connected and click on the link
    to get liveprofile for BlackBerry, and it gives me this message ( duh (!) ) :
    "You must go to LiveProfile - Stay Connected from your BlackBerry browser to download."

So, if I dream big dreams, I'll guess that LiveProfile is the secret weapon that shall be
    released inside BB10.1 to extend BBM in the most intelligent manner imaginable.
    Either this or someone has dropped the ball bigtime and nobody among Crackberry users
    is willing to mention it.

March 2013 it was reported that GoogleTalk was blocking invites sent
    from non-Google servers. (This is a " jabber server / XMPP " topic.)
    Matt Landis Windows PBX & UC Report: Google Blocking XMPP Invites From Federated Partners

Related topic : Whatsapp versus whatever
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...74/index2.html

There is more to learn about: oovoo / webrtc

I don't have any more time to go web searching until next week.
    So, you young folk should feel free to pollute this thread as you wish.
    Some of your comments shall most certainly be instructive and informational.
    There are millions of useful details not yet added. And clarifications too.

YEs I realize that I've confused Chat and BBM all in one discussion.

Disclaimer:
    I have no notion how BB10 OS connects to the NOC for BBM and for push services, and
    I hardly even know what the NOC is. I'm sure there is a lot about BBM that I don't know,
    since I've never used it and I have no-one to ask about it.
    Last edited by Davidro1; 04-18-13 at 03:52 PM.
    04-18-13 03:29 PM
    ooVoo is supposedly great for cross platform video chat, and their BB10 is rumoured to be coming soon. It is definitely coming, but I couldn't tell you when.
    Of course Skype is on the way to BB10 as well.
    04-18-13 05:17 PM
    FaceFlow should be added to the list I suppose as well... Z10 app available now, iOS and Android coming soon...

Free Video Chat - Quick & Simple | FaceFlow
    04-18-13 06:29 PM
    Test out viber here!!

Viber for BlackBerry - Free calls and Free messages on blackberry (this is the ota link - phone browser link)
    04-19-13 05:40 PM
    Test out viber here!!

Viber for BlackBerry - Free calls and Free messages on blackberry (this is the ota link - phone browser link)
    That's only for OS5, 7

Posted via CB10
    04-20-13 01:15 AM
    Test out viber here!!

That's for legacy BBOS devices, not BB10.

This is how you CB10, son!
    04-20-13 01:17 AM
    I bought a screen protector the other day, and the z10 screen on the packaging had an oovoo Icon, and not the same icon that you get upon sideloading. One can only wonder if the picture is from blackberry or not, because really, what would the manufacturer get for doctoring up their own z10 home screen picture for their packaging? I suppose we'll just have to wait and see...
    04-20-13 09:44 PM