So I recently upgraded to the passport for my personal and and classic for my work phone. Now I sell phones and I get flack about my phone preference on a damn near daily bases. Mostly it doesn't bother me because blackberry is typically the best and with bbos10 being able to run android apps I can shut down most. However something really has bothered me about my new Blackberries. As I upgraded I was looking to use the apps that I know the app world offers. Now there might not be ever app under the sun but generally app world has us covered in some way or another. My dismay came when I went to go download app I had and I was unable to. I'm not sure why this is but I feel the real issue isn't having all the apps but instead that the apps offered don't carry over to each new set of phone. I had this very same issue when I upgraded from my torch but I let it go but now I'm annoyed I am unable to get simple apps I have had forever.

Posted via Q10 a device that doesn't bleed personal information
    03-15-15 03:03 AM
    Yes apps need to be tweaked to work on different devices since Blackberry's devices are all very different especially in screen size like the passport. So if a developer did not make an app that was specified to be compatible with the passport you won't be able to download it. This isn't really blackberry's fault, just the developers. Some maintain their apps regularly while others don't. you should contact the developer and complain to them.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 03:46 AM
    Maybe the developer of said app has not upgraded it for 10.3+ or the screen requirements? Have you contacted the developer of the app you need so you can have a definite reason as to why it's not available. It's much better to do that than making yourself crazy and having to start threads for answers that only the developer can answer anyway.

BTW. I haven't noticed that you've mentioned the name of this app at all. Maybe others have tried with some success or can offer an alternative? More information would be prudent and helpful.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-15-15 03:50 AM
    It's not a question and there are a varity of apps. That this has been an issue for. I am aware of the differences between os's however I feel once an app is in the store for an older it should still work for the newer versions of the BBos.

03-15-15 09:00 AM
    Pure speculation, but some native developers may feel slighted now that BlackBerry is pushing Android apps through the Amazon app store. Not that they had much of a choice, but it had to feel like a slap in the face given it means that their native app may see less exposure.

Posted via BBCB10PP
    03-15-15 09:25 AM
    It's not a question and there are a varity of apps. That this has been an issue for. I am aware of the differences between os's however I feel once an app is in the store for an older it should still work for the newer versions of the BBos.

Apps work over updated os's. you said you updated to the passport from a classic, if I understood you correctly. That's a device issue, not os. When a developer releases an app on the app world, he has to specify which devices it can work on. If the app doesn't specify the passport as a compatible device for whatever reason , the app wouldn't be able to be downloaded from the app world to the passport. Unless the developer then updates that part and makes the app avaliable to the passport, it won't work.

Basic point being it's not really Blackberry's fault, it's just developers mostly. Now why developers don't update their apps regularly, that would be a good question.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-15-15 09:33 AM
    The way I see it BlackBerry Has several form factors, screen proportions, and differences between toolbelt, no toolbelt, full touch, qwerty, three row and qwerty with 4 rows and that's just blackberry 10. It's probably a nightmare for any dev to make their apps cross compatible.

Now contrast that with ios, android, WP and you start to see why they're ahead of the game. Making it easy for devs is the way to go. As it is iheart radio worked natively on my z10 and z30 but no luck on the passport so now I have to get it from amazon...

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 08:04 PM
    Are you coming from your Q10 to the Classic and Passport? Is your Q10 running 10.2.1? If so, it may just be that the apps you had on your Q10 are "air" apps, which would no longer work on 10.3.x. If that's the case, that would be why they haven't carried over during a device switch.

I've seen tons of threads with people surprised by that, despite that it's been published here many times. If that is indeed the case, there's not much that can be done about it. BlackBerry let the customer base know well in advance that this would be so.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 09:36 PM
    Are you coming from your Q10 to the Classic and Passport? Is your Q10 running 10.2.1? If so, it may just be that the apps you had on your Q10 are "air" apps, which would no longer work on 10.3.x. If that's the case, that would be why they haven't carried over during a device switch.

I've seen tons of threads with people surprised by that, despite that it's been published here many times. If that is indeed the case, there's not much that can be done about it. BlackBerry let the customer base know well in advance that this would be so.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    I am coming from a Q10. To both a Classic and a passport. I had figured it Was a difference between os 10.3.x and 10.2.1 and more still I. Figured it may have something to do with. The screen size. Regardless of the reason I think BlackBerry Should take steps to do something about this. If I can run. Android apps there should be no reason I can't run older blackberry apps. I mean hell none of those apps are made for the Q10 s screen and still some how work.
    What are these Air apps? I don't recall hearing about them. I'm going too look into it a bit more.

03-19-15 06:55 AM
    I am coming from a Q10. To both a Classic and a passport. I had figured it Was a difference between os 10.3.x and 10.2.1 and more still I. Figured it may have something to do with. The screen size. Regardless of the reason I think BlackBerry Should take steps to do something about this. If I can run. Android apps there should be no reason I can't run older blackberry apps. I mean hell none of those apps are made for the Q10 s screen and still some how work.
    What are these Air apps? I don't recall hearing about them. I'm going too look into it a bit more.

http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-d...be-air-runtime

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 07:14 AM
    OK so I did read about this. It didn't occur to me than that it would be a problem now. Thank you.

03-19-15 11:53 AM
    OK so I did read about this. It didn't occur to me than that it would be a problem now. Thank you.

No problem. Try what I suggested initially with emailing the developers of those apps. Some developers are just plain lazy, some don't want to take the time to brush up on alternate languages, and some are just looking for more interest before converting. They may have received 99 emails requests and your single email may be the one that goes over their quota to give them a reason to update. But you never know until you try.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 12:24 PM