You bash dev's for not making apps for BlackBerry then when one is released with a few bugs, you bash that too. Nothing is perfect in this world, even mother nature takes a couple tries to get it right. So STFD and support our soon to be great ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 07:12 AM
    You bash dev's for not making apps for BlackBerry then when one is released with a few bugs, you bash that too. Nothing is perfect in this world, even mother nature takes a couple tries to get it right. So STFD and support our soon to be great ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    Hi!
    I never got the point of bashing the devs. They are trying hard to make things right for us. Give them a chance and keep trying to contact them if something is wrong, I say. If making apps were easy for BB then I think more people would be cranking them out.
    ..Steve.. likes this.
    07-21-13 07:16 AM
    Haha you wanna see where the cry babies are? Check out the clueless reviews on Whatsapp, Twitter and WeChat. I'm not saying that all negative comments are bad, but please phrase it out properly and do your best to reach the developer so they can address the problem. Some comments are just like 1 star and the review only says "bad". smh...
    07-21-13 08:54 AM
    Some of the reviews in BB world are just terrible and inaccurate. Half of the negative "bashing" reviews are from people who just don't understand how to use the app. You also have the people who feel the need to point out how the app was developed and rate it based off of that criteria: "It's a port, 1 star". You never see people pointing out other frameworks (webworks, html5, AIR) just if it was ported from Android. People think that somehow developing an android application takes no time. A rating should be for how the app performs not for pointing out how it was developed and bashing it based on that. The reality is we need apps on BB10 and android is a great way to bring more applications to the platform. And for those of you who think that allowing developers to port over android apps won't lead to "native" built applications, go tell that to Songza
    07-21-13 10:44 AM
    Thread was retitled to better reflect the nature of the problem. CB is not the only place people complain about apps.
    07-21-13 10:51 AM
    Devs can always delete reviews they don't like though. Happened to me once. Lol. Review in app world can be deleted. Newsflash.

Posted via CB10
    Clifford Pilane likes this.
    07-21-13 11:07 AM
    Devs can always delete reviews they don't like though. Happened to me once. Lol. Review in app world can be deleted. Newsflash.

Posted via CB10
    And deleting reviews, IMHO, is dangerous with regards to ensuring the authenticity of the app environment. Bad.

I do agree that dinging an app just because it's a port is silly, but that is going to be the expected response to this situation. If Android users, for example, had to download iOS ports to extend device functionality, the reviews would be evil.
    07-21-13 11:20 AM
    If Android users, for example, had to download iOS ports to extend device functionality, the reviews would be evil.
    Developers often port apps over to other platforms including FROM iOS to ANDROID. Often developers who have an iOS app don't want to start from scratch when making an Andorid app, so to save money/time they port over certain aspects like major icons, graphics and SQLite database code.

Also, once the app is ported over to a .bar it's no longer a android app to "extend device functionality" rather it's now a BB app. How it was developed MAKES no difference. There are plenty of slow cascade apps. What matters is how the app functions. If it's slow, and lags then say so. But there are plenty of "ported apps" that run great and yet are bashed for being "a port"
    07-21-13 11:36 AM
    Developers often port apps over to other platforms including FROM iOS to ANDROID. Often developers who have an iOS app don't want to start from scratch when making an Andorid app, so to save money/time they port over certain aspects like major icons, graphics and SQLite database code.

Also, once the app is ported over to a .bar it's no longer a android app to "extend device functionality" rather it's now a BB app. How it was developed MAKES no difference. There are plenty of slow cascade apps. What matters is how the app functions. If it's slow, and lags then say so. But there are plenty of "ported apps" that run great and yet are bashed for being "a port"
    Point being that I think most people prefer native apps.

I agree: it should be about the functionality. I don't think it's fair that an app that works flawlessly should get negative feedback just because it's a port.

But I believe the reality is that folks will always prefer completely native apps, and will show this preference via feedback.
    07-21-13 11:53 AM
    Point being that I think most people prefer native apps.

But I believe the reality is that folks will always prefer completely native apps, and will show this preference via feedback.
    If it wasn't for the android ports: you wouldn't have an app. People should prefer any app that works. We need to get out of the habit as a community of classifying apps as native or not. Does the app work and function as it should. That's the only criteria that matters. Not how it's developed: cascades, html5, air, or android...

And if people think giving 1 star reviews in BlackBerry World will cause developers to make a "native" app then they are wrong. Devs want to see demad and bashing apps for how they are developed will only weaken demand.

I understand your argument and that people will inherently want native apps but in reality it doesn't mean much. And if that is the goal then bashing isn't helping.

Hopefully more discussion like this occurs because as a community we want to encourage developers to develop for BB10.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    07-21-13 01:03 PM
    If it wasn't for the android ports: you wouldn't have an app. People should prefer any app that works. We need to get out of the habit as a community of classifying apps as native or not. Does the app work and function as it should. That's the only criteria that matters. Not how it's developed: cascades, html5, air, or android...

And if people think giving 1 star reviews in BlackBerry World will cause developers to make a "native" app then they are wrong. Devs want to see demad and bashing apps for how they are developed will only weaken demand.

I understand your argument and that people will inherently want native apps but in reality it doesn't mean much. And if that is the goal then bashing isn't helping.

Hopefully more discussion like this occurs because as a community we want to encourage developers to develop for BB10.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    People don't complain that certain app is Android port just because it is Android port. It's because most of Android ports don't function properly. Maybe with 10.2 release, we'll have a better experience with those apps, but for now, they are against natural flow. Few examples:
    - Android ports are not integrated into OS properly. You almost never can use Share or Open in functionality with them
    - You almost never can use build-in sharing mechanism in Android apps (they have their own?)
    - They require tons of permissions and you cannot restrict them
    - Current Android player often recognize left/right swipes as Back action (one of the most annoying)

Unless developers of Android apps invest a bit of time to fix the most obvious problems, they will have many negative reviews. Actually, this is true for any app, native, AIR, HTML5 or Android. It's simply Android apps are in majority that have problems now.
    gen_accident likes this.
    07-22-13 04:23 AM
    only problem i see with andriod apps is we are getting quite a few pointless app that appear on google play now seeing as apps are lacking you notice them more hopefully later on they wont be in your face so much but tbh i except a ported andriod app to be more functional then one that i sideloaded and sometimes that aint the case my main problem is screen size my fave andriod game wont work on my q5
    07-22-13 05:09 AM
    As the developer of Instago kinda go with the OP.

A lot of 1 star reviews is people complaining that Instagram does not provide an app themselves. Then you have a lot of 1 stars for the fact that the app doesn't support uploads (big surprise and clearly stated in the descriptiob). Finally you have the people giving 1 star because they don't get how the app works (yes, you gave to log in before you can comment and like items. Shocking) .

True, I could mark the reviews as inappropriate in the Vendor backend, but why should I? It would not increase the overall rating. Also I think it's relevant got potential users what led to the bad overall rating - maybe it was relevant points the dev wants to hide or maybe it's irrelevant.

All in all I think the tone and attitude of comments in th BlackBerry World is rather negative. But maybe that's just me..

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 06:08 AM
    As the developer of Instago kinda go with the OP.

A lot of 1 star reviews is people complaining that Instagram does not provide an app themselves. Then you have a lot of 1 stars for the fact that the app doesn't support uploads (big surprise and clearly stated in the descriptiob). Finally you have the people giving 1 star because they don't get how the app works (yes, you gave to log in before you can comment and like items. Shocking) .

True, I could mark the reviews as inappropriate in the Vendor backend, but why should I? It would not increase the overall rating. Also I think it's relevant got potential users what led to the bad overall rating - maybe it was relevant points the dev wants to hide or maybe it's irrelevant.

All in all I think the tone and attitude of comments in th BlackBerry World is rather negative. But maybe that's just me..

Posted via CB10
    I'm afraid that you have a bit unique situation. You've stepped in a dangerous area - Instagram land. There are so many threads about Instagram of eager users that when you came up with an app that allows to browse through images, most people probably even didn't read description, they just bought it. Then they discovered they cannot share their photos (even if it clearly stated in app description) so they released their frustrations in comments/reviews. You should delete those reviews, because they have no value for potential customers. Also, if you've noticed, rating does change on mobile client of BBW after reviews deleted, but kept the same in desktop version (I do occasionally browse BBW on desktop and noticed this strange inconsistencies)
    07-22-13 07:15 AM