I've been getting device storage full messages and pulling my hair out trying to get to the bottom of it. I've deleted a bunch of apps and now all of a sudden box bubbled up to the top of the list as taking up 1.2gb. It wasn't there until a reboot.
    Box.com taking up massive space-img_20140228_203539.png

My question is how do I stop this from taking up so much space? I want the backup of my pictures to the cloud but I don't want a separate copy of files pinned on my device and can't seem to find a way to unpin them or at least move this to my SD card.
    To be clear I'm running the box app supplied by BlackBerry. Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 07:43 PM
    you should be able to set the option to "save to media card" in the camera. So it would save all picture there. Box must be keeping a local copy also on the device itself causing the large increase in size.
    02-28-14 07:54 PM
    Thx Howarmat. I should have also specified I have set camera to save to SD card. My pics are going there and going to the cloud but then seemingly back down to the device memory.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 08:03 PM
    Thx Howarmat. I should have also specified I have set camera to save to SD card. My pics are going there and going to the cloud but then seemingly back down to the device memory.

Posted via CB10
    If you're pinning them, that might be why. I have no SD card, my Box storage has 1.5GB there, and I'm syncing photos to it. That 1.5GB doesn't show for the Box app in Storage.

Box.com taking up massive space-img_20140228_201444.png
    Box.com taking up massive space-img_20140228_201539.png

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 08:16 PM
    Thx Reubechs
    I'm not seeing where I've pinned any. I went to the folder and clicked on several and they all give me the option to pin them - so that would tell me that they are not currently pinned. I assume.

Here's my data screenshot

Box.com taking up massive space-img_20140228_212324.png

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 08:27 PM
    Log out of box, restart, check space usage.
    02-28-14 10:22 PM
    Thx Sally Mack
    I logged out and it went down to 472mb. So I deleted box, rebooted and the rest seems to have gone away. I've downloaded it again and logged back in. I will report back if that doesn't fix it for good. : )

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 09:15 AM
    The sync is the problem there.
    03-01-14 12:58 PM
    Agreed. Your files haven't synced yet. Box keeps a copy on the device, until the files actually sync to the cloud. Get yourself near some serious Wifi bandwidth, then Sync Now, as the button says when you swipe down from the top in the app.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 04:26 PM
    That's the weird part. I've been in great wifi coverage at home and wondered the same. Here's the odd part though. Why would it copy files from my SD to internal memory before sending to the cloud. That's a serious flaw if they do it that way. Doesn't make any sense. I sachesi'd my way to 2102 and still no silly box business so I hope I'm beyond that now. Thanks for everyone's help!

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 04:33 PM
    I've had to delete Box and reinstall it recently, for this problem. My account is set to sync immediately, regardless of wifi availability. Plus, I'm around good wifi almost all day (except when in the car or shopping, both of which are rare.)

Deleting and reinstalling the app worked for me.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 04:50 PM
    That's the weird part. I've been in great wifi coverage at home and wondered the same. Here's the odd part though. Why would it copy files from my SD to internal memory before sending to the cloud. That's a serious flaw if they do it that way. Doesn't make any sense.

It's not uncommon for apps or processes that sync data to make a temp copy of the data so they are not trying to sync something while it is in the middle of trying to be manipulated by another process. After the first pass they can re-check the originals to see if any new changes have been made since the start of the sync process, and then reconcile those.
    03-01-14 05:30 PM
    It's not uncommon for apps or processes that sync data to make a temp copy of the data so they are not trying to sync something while it is in the middle of trying to be manipulated by another process. After the first pass they can re-check the originals to see if any new changes have been made since the start of the sync process, and then reconcile those.
    Fine but it still needs to do housekeeping at some point and clean out the "temporary copy/cache" or does the "next sync" wipe out the prior one?
    03-02-14 09:29 AM
    Fine but it still needs to do housekeeping at some point and clean out the "temporary copy/cache" or does the "next sync" wipe out the prior one?

Yes, as I said in the example above, those would be temp copies. I don't know enough about how the Box app works to know if that is what is happening or not.

If it's keeping it there long-term, I think someone pointed-out above that the sync may be failing, so it never completes the sync and thus the temp files remain.

Some apps are just shoddy at cleaning up after themselves, or at resource consumption in general.
    03-02-14 11:39 AM
    Thank you! I was experiencing the same thing. Box was gigantic (2GB) even though my photos & videos are on the SD card. Within the Box app it reported as 3.3GB, but the Z10 was reporting Box is taking up 2GB (another large one is iGrann at 570mb)
    Anyway, I signed out of Box, but it took about 20-30 seconds before it actually logged out. The local storage space went down to 1.9GB. Signed back in and pressed Sync Now, said everything is up to date. So I logged out again and removed the app (which immediately freed up my 2GB), rebooted, re-added app. For now everything seems fine and I have a few more gb of breathing room.
    03-10-14 03:02 PM