My wife lost (or had stolen, we don't know) her Z10 in Costco today. My daughter was with her and called the phone. The guy answered! She asked him to bring the phone to the front desk. At that point he played stupid. So she called me. I hopped over to Blackberry Protect and locked the phone. Then confirmed the phone was still in Costco. Had it display a message that the phone was being tracked and if he took it to the desk no questions would be asked. Meanwhile my wife and daughter were scurrying between the membership desk and the manager. The perp had it in Costco for almost an hour while I refreshed the screen. Finally decided to have it make a noise. It was shortly after this the clerk waived my wife over and gave her the phone. She said some guy brought it to the desk while it was making noise. He said: "I just found this." and left. The clerk said the noise was awful so she silenced it. I am thinking I am glad he didn't have the sense to turn the phone off or leave the store right away.

Blackberry Protect saved the day. And made me look pretty good...ahem.
    04-28-13 10:42 PM
    That sound is horrible. I tried it out when I set it up. One minute of ear busting screech.
    fastpitch_dad and AbsoluteT23 like this.
    04-28-13 10:48 PM
    Winning with BlackBerry 10.

~STV
    04-29-13 02:31 AM
    Most thorough protection suite for a phone I've seen yet and best of all its integrated deep into the OS as it should be. Once it has cloud backup it will be so far ahead of its competition that it will be years before it is even seen again.

Just remotely being able to change the password is increadibly powerful and combined with the Lock Screen massage raises your chances of getting your device back drastically. In theory anyways.
    04-29-13 04:02 AM
    My wife lost (or had stolen, we don't know) her Z10 in Costco today. My daughter was with her and called the phone. The guy answered! She asked him to bring the phone to the front desk. At that point he played stupid. So she called me. I hopped over to Blackberry Protect and locked the phone. Then confirmed the phone was still in Costco. Had it display a message that the phone was being tracked and if he took it to the desk no questions would be asked. Meanwhile my wife and daughter were scurrying between the membership desk and the manager. The perp had it in Costco for almost an hour while I refreshed the screen. Finally decided to have it make a noise. It was shortly after this the clerk waived my wife over and gave her the phone. She said some guy brought it to the desk while it was making noise. He said: "I just found this." and left. The clerk said the noise was awful so she silenced it. I am thinking I am glad he didn't have the sense to turn the phone off or leave the store right away.

Blackberry Protect saved the day. And made me look pretty good...ahem.
    REALLY glad to hear this worked out in your favor... After reading your post I started testing Protect with my Z10. Over the last day I have found that the View Location function simply does not work very well, at least for me. First time I ran it, it found my phone right away. After checking back a while later it would not refresh the location unless I turned airplane mode on and then off. Tried locating the phone from a couple of different outdoor locations during my travels today, same result.

Tried displaying a message on the phone and Protect was unable to connect to the phone to display the message, again had to switch the radio on and off at which point the message was displayed and I had to unlock it.

With my 9850 I was always able to almost immediately pull up the phone's location on Protect. With the Z10 I am afraid I would lose my phone if in the same situation as the OP.

Has anyone else tested out locating / locking their Z10s remotely and had the issues I'm seeing?
    Jsolts likes this.
    05-01-13 09:59 PM
    Good reason to get a Q10. If you lose one you can use the other to connect to Protect.
    05-01-13 10:14 PM
    What I would really like to see added to BB Protect is the ability to remotely take a photo choosing either the front or rear camera. This way if someone snatches your phone and they're playing with it looking at the screen you can at least take a photo to see who it is that has the phone.

Or also the ability to remotely initiate a live, two-way speakerphone conversation with the person who has the phone

I'm sure if there are legal implications regarding privacy etc preventing this from being a reality.. The phone could then be used as a spy tool if it had that ability, but not if perhaps it makes a loud noise attracting attention to it before taking a photo (so that you can't hide the phone in a women's washroom or something like that)...
    05-02-13 07:24 AM
    REALLY glad to hear this worked out in your favor... After reading your post I started testing Protect with my Z10. Over the last day I have found that the View Location function simply does not work very well, at least for me. First time I ran it, it found my phone right away. After checking back a while later it would not refresh the location unless I turned airplane mode on and then off. Tried locating the phone from a couple of different outdoor locations during my travels today, same result.

Tried displaying a message on the phone and Protect was unable to connect to the phone to display the message, again had to switch the radio on and off at which point the message was displayed and I had to unlock it.

With my 9850 I was always able to almost immediately pull up the phone's location on Protect. With the Z10 I am afraid I would lose my phone if in the same situation as the OP.

Has anyone else tested out locating / locking their Z10s remotely and had the issues I'm seeing?
    I'm experiencing this exact same thing. First time I did it, everything was functioning. I recently tried it again, now it just won't connect.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 07:43 AM
    I have this message ready for the day I need to use protect to display a message.

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a reward, I can tell you I have none. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you return my phone now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I WILL look for you, I WILL find you, and I WILL kill you."

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 08:15 AM
    ^^^^^ This made my morning!

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 08:35 AM
    This is a good story and moreover it shows greed and honesty both coexist in each of us. The two traits constantly challenge each other.

Post via CB Z10
    05-02-13 09:44 AM
    I'm experiencing this exact same thing. First time I did it, everything was functioning. I recently tried it again, now it just won't connect.

Posted via CB10
    I have not been able to locate my phone at all since my previous post despite several reboots and logging in and out of Protect. What is going on here?
    05-02-13 01:36 PM