Hello CrackBerry community!

Welcome to the public BETA release of my newest project.

Human guinea pigs wanted!

I'm the developer of stuff like ClipMan, Turbo Reader and BaSA which you might have already read about. I ran a public beta for 10 months for BaSA within this community and thanks to the overwhelming help and feedback from countless members I were able to create propably one of the best battery and system tools available at BlackBerry World.

Since Version 1.0.0 of BaSA finally arrived last week it is time to unveil what I was already working on the past few months:

BlackBullet

BETA: BlackBullet - a native client for pushbullet.com-icon_480_beta.png

It is like BaSA was a few months ago absolutely unfinished and unpolished, but since BaSA was such a huge success I hope together we're again able to turn this into something huge.

BlackBullet is a native client for pushbullet.com - This is a service which offers nifty and handy machine to machine communication, even if the devices are not within the same network.
    You can sent texts from your desktop to your BlackBerry as well as a link to a website from your BlackBerry to your Firefox browser.

Pushbullet has official clients and plugins for Windows (beta), Firefox, Chrome (Opera), Android and iPhone: https://www.pushbullet.com/apps - A client for Mac is also in preparation.

So you get able using this app to sent a link from your BlackBerry to a iPad to read a article on a larger screen.

BlackBullet integrates itself already into the sharing (invocation) framework of BB10, so you can simply share text or links to it and push it to a different device.

But the Pushbullet service and hence our BlackBullet app has even more to offer, it integrates itself into the network of IFTTT.com which welcomes you with "Put the internet to work for you." at their website. You can create based on stuff which happens on the internet recepies and let this service execute stuff automatically in the background. Sending out notifications to pushbullet gets offered too, and this is where BlackBullet comes to play.
    This way I'm myself getting notified since some weeks as soon as (okay within the first 10 minutes) a new article at CrackBerry gets posted (feed trigger connected to the rss feed of CrackBerry) and I get the latest stock price of BlackBerry as soon as the markets closed directly to my HUB as well as a lot of other useful notifications. To drive this kind of geek toy into a extreme BlackBullet has already talk2watch integration which can forward any kind of pushbullet (and IFTTT) notification directly to your pebble smartwatch at your wrist.

BETA: BlackBullet - a native client for pushbullet.com-img_20140818_161114.png

Is this a free app? And if not, why?
    The very basic functionality is completely free and you are able to download the app and check it out if it is a project you may like at some point and is worth for you to support it or not. The app contains again a few plasters you might already know from BaSA. This is simply because I don't work for pushbullet, I'm not in any kind of relation with those, I don't get anything from the money they seems to earn with pushbullet or anything like this.
    I know, I'm like the most developers anyway unable to make a living with the stuff I publish, so I could also simply release it for free like I've done with some simpler stuff in the past. But since I develop apps I learned with each complain to hate the Android mentality: "I want it now and I want it for free!" and hence it is in the end still a lot of hard work to create a app some more advanced features of BlackBullet are blocked and I will ask to spent me a Coke for the effort I had with the development. I hope everybody is fine with this, nobody is forced to use what I'm creating in my spare time and I'm not willing to share it with people which don't want to spent me a Coke.

BETA: BlackBullet - a native client for pushbullet.com-img_20140818_161058.png

What is already working:

Core functionality like signing in and other essential stuff as well as this push types:
    • notes
    • links

Currently not scheduled features:
    • Notification forwarding (lets see what BlackBerry Blend will deliver first, this could get added at a later point)
    • Answering SMS messages from desktop PC (we will get this feature via BlackBerry Blend, I'm sure we don't need such a clumsy like at Android)
    In the meantime you get already able to push a text from your Desktop directly to the BlackBullet client and in case you have the app ClipMan installed you just need to wait until the green front LED flashes green for a short moment and you're ready to paste a longer text to BBM

So far not supported push types:
    • files (hopefully soon)
    • address (I'm working on it)
    • lists (at a later point)

Also not working: Headless support and direct push functionality
    This one is the biggest drawback of the current beta. BlackBullet runs so far not headless and receives notifications with in average 3 minutes delay when minimized. If you bring BlackBullet in foreground it should work in realtime just like the Android and iOS clients. But not when you put your BlackBerry in your pocket.

This is (sadly) how it works currently. I'm in contact with the team behind pushbullet and they helped already a lot to get able to deliver a good pushbullet expirience at our devices. They even bought temselves a BlackBerry Z10 to get able to check out BlackBullet. But, they have currently only the Apple push service and the google play store services running at their server and we need to be a little bit more patient until they get able to add the BlackBerry push service to their network. But they are one it, they are interestend and they have already read the most parts of the documentation, they own now a Z10 and I'm full of confident that we just need to be a little bit patient until they have enough time.
    (they are working currently on something big in the secret and are extremely busy since a few days, so lets see what they may announce soon)

So, IMHO some great news mixed with some smaller bad ones.
    I would say let the public testing begin and see where this leads us...

Ah, and feel free to give good reviews at BlackBerry World to support this project. In case you're unhappy with something I would prefer if you could post it here in public. This way I'm able to ask for more details and can try to fix the issues (bugs) you found. I know, this app is far away from perfect, because of this it is clearly marked as a unfinished beta release. It hopefully won't break anything, but you can never know! I'm here a one-man-show and I'm not working for a big company. So I have no app testing department or a design group which helps me to get able to provide good app design. So I'm depending and relying on your feedback.

Let me take this chance to say thank you to khehl for the idea and the group of about 15 brave developers and power users like DJ Reyes which were testing this already behind the curtains for some weeks. Thanks folks! You're the best.

Happy testing!
    smart548, LP_Rigg, m1kr0 and 25 others like this.
    08-18-14 12:54 PM
    Trying app. Thanks.
    QtHelex likes this.
    08-18-14 12:58 PM
    In case you have no idea what you could use pushbullet for, what about setting up a FHEM home automation system:
    BETA: BlackBullet - a native client for pushbullet.com-1406980914743-fhem-home-automation.jpg
    (here you got notified that your Playbook charger was disabled automatically - in german)

Thanks to LinuxQ for the image.
    08-18-14 01:02 PM
    Oh yes!
    QtHelex likes this.
    08-18-14 01:32 PM
    I've downloaded the app and tested it. I really like it and plan on paying for the pro version when that comes available. One issue I've had during the 5 minutes of use, sometimes when I receive a note from my computer to my Q10 my talk to watch app opens giving me an error? Any ideas why that happens?

Posted via CB10
    QtHelex likes this.
    08-18-14 01:35 PM
    Oh, this shouldn't happen. Do you have talk2watch or talk2watch pro installed? Only the pro version delivers the needed stuff to let other apps communicate with it.
    08-18-14 01:46 PM
    Awesome!

Posted via CB10
    QtHelex likes this.
    08-18-14 01:51 PM
    Downloaded and ready for testing. I support BB10 native developers coz #IchooseBlackBerry

On my Awesome Z30 ? 10.2.1.2975
    Umaima_B_Dia and QtHelex like this.
    08-18-14 01:52 PM
    BETA: BlackBullet - a native client for pushbullet.com-img_20140818_145318.png I get this error and I have talk2watch not the pro version

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 01:56 PM
    Tl;dr!

By which I mean you had me convinced after the first paragraph. =)
    Installed and upgraded, can't wait to see where this goes!

If you need or want anymore people to test sandbox versions or do/check translations you can always give me a call!

Channel: C0007CC89 | CB10 signed.
    QtHelex likes this.
    08-18-14 02:02 PM
    Awesome! Will test ASAP

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 02:07 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140818_145318.png 
Views:	3176 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	291558 I get this error and I have talk2watch not the pro version
    Woah, this looks ugly!

I don't have the normal talk2watch version since I upgraded directly to pro the moment I received my pebble which was a lot more expensive compared to talk2watch. I guess I need to block this somehow at my own.

By the way, on what firmware ar you currently on? Looks like a beta to me, maybe this could cause also a issue. (developing here only on release builts to ensure compatibility)
    08-18-14 02:08 PM
    Yes I am on 10.3.700 with the added bars that could be the issue. Honestly it's nothing worrisome for me. I'll keep you posted, I only posted this to make you aware of the issue that's all complaints here looking forward to headless and file sharing capabilities!!!

Posted via CB10
    QtHelex likes this.
    08-18-14 02:14 PM
    Impossible, I've started the beta just 4 hours ago and BlackBullet made it already to the front page of CrackBerry: BlackBullet - A native client for Pushbullet enters beta | CrackBerry.com

I guess I won't sleep tonight...
    tryfe, scaffme and MrDj91 like this.
    08-18-14 03:40 PM
    Fantastic! Upgraded to the Pro version immediately!!

Posted via CB10
    QtHelex likes this.
    08-18-14 03:52 PM
    Hey QT

Q: if I get a notification to a new story say on CB will your app give me a link to open the CB app?

"Hip to be Square" - Huey Lewis and the News
    08-18-14 03:54 PM
    This is a great app. Only two things could be improved: 1) I don't mind leaving the app open for it to work but I really like apps I leave open to have a scene cover (even if it's just the app icon) and 2) when used with ClipMan and a link is shared, it copies the title as well as the link making it less useful than it could be.
    08-18-14 04:39 PM
    I just supported you by bought this app. I hope you add new features in future.
    QtHelex likes this.
    08-18-14 05:01 PM
    I just supported you by bought this app. I hope you add new features in future.
    For sure! The next update is already in preparation.
    petertinh likes this.
    08-18-14 05:03 PM
    Q: if I get a notification to a new story say on CB will your app give me a link to open the CB app?
    Sadly not, I answered this already a hour ago over here: BlackBullet - A native client for Pushbullet enters beta | CrackBerry.com

Not now, but a good Idea. So far it just provides a link to get to the website via the browser.

The CB10 app needs some kind of invocation to be able to open the correct article from within a different application.

I applied myself already several months ago to join the development team but just run into the reconstruction timeframe of the dev team. I'm currently extremely busy with the development of BlackBullet, but I will try to reapply at some point to participate at the CB10 app, too. Then this feature is the first I will get to integrate it and I will add a corresponding filter at BlackBullet.

Thanks again for the idea.
    So, I will add this to my to-do-list. But lets finish everything else first.

But what you can do when you add the CrackBerry rss feed to IFTTT (this is the Link: http://feeds.feedburner.com/crackberry ) you can add using the blue PLUS symbol more than just the link. So you can get the headline and the abstract as a notification to the BlackBerry HUB and decide based on this if it is worth to open the CB app immediately or not.
    kadusch likes this.
    08-18-14 05:07 PM
    This is a great app.
    Thanks a lot.

Only two things could be improved: 1) I don't mind leaving the app open for it to work but I really like apps I leave open to have a scene cover (even if it's just the app icon)
    Yeah, this needs to get done. It's basically routine piece of work, but needs to get done and may need a whole weekend to get everything properly in shape at a Z10, Q10, Z30 and to make it worse PASSPORT. So I decided to leave it for now as it is and finish at least the core stuff. I will also add the file and address notification type before I will create the active frame (or scene cover) according to my current schedule. I hope you're patient enough, but it will get added for sure.

and 2) when used with ClipMan and a link is shared, it copies the title as well as the link making it less useful than it could be.
    Mmh... could you share here more details?
    What is the drawback of the current behavior? You could be forced to mark the whole link again at ClipMan to separate it from the title, right? Hmm... yeah, if it's this what you mean this behavior could get improved. If you copy it manually within BlackBullet only the link should get copied, right?
    I guess I need to think a little bit about this one. Thanks a lot for your feedback!
    kadusch and travisredpath like this.
    08-18-14 05:16 PM
    I bought it right away!

I have now all news of my sports magazine directly at my BlackBerry HUB. Thats simply AMAZING!
    tryfe, QtHelex and BCITMike like this.
    08-18-14 05:44 PM
    Nice app, started setting it up then ifttt.com crashed. So I'll have to do my testing later. But from my little tinkering so far this app needs to be headless.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 06:37 PM
    Love it. Great job!

Posted via CB10
    QtHelex likes this.
    08-18-14 07:18 PM
    And I just upgraded as well. Good luck with the development.
    QtHelex likes this.
    08-18-14 08:38 PM
631 123 ...