Is anyone else having issues with BB Maps on 10.3.3? Yes, I realise hardly any of you use the app anymore but I love it for its simplicity and reliability, I don't need fancy maps when all I use is voice guide. Reliable, that is, until the recent OS upgrade. Maps will quite happily find my location, map a route accurately, warn me of traffic issues etc, etc all for about 10 minutes and then the signal just shuts down and no amount of rebooting or remapping gets it going again. Is this an issue with GPS or location services??

I understand that a few of you find Maps a joke but I don't so please no mocking or teasing posts, I would just like to know if there's a known fix without reloading the OS again.

Thanks
    rayporsche likes this.
    02-04-17 10:09 AM
    Is anyone else having issues with BB Maps on 10.3.3? Yes, I realise hardly any of you use the app anymore but I love it for its simplicity and reliability, I don't need fancy maps when all I use is voice guide. Reliable, that is, until the recent OS upgrade. Maps will quite happily find my location, map a route accurately, warn me of traffic issues etc, etc all for about 10 minutes and then the signal just shuts down and no amount of rebooting or remapping gets it going again. Is this an issue with GPS or location services??

I understand that a few of you find Maps a joke but I don't so please no mocking or teasing posts, I would just like to know if there's a known fix without reloading the OS again.

Thanks
    It's a shame you have to preface your question to avoid flaming.

In any event, although I use gmaps most of the time, I don't experience the loss of GPS as you indicate on BlackBerry Maps.

I'm going to try it again now and let you know.
    02-04-17 10:29 AM
    It's a shame you have to preface your question to avoid flaming.

In any event, although I use gmaps most of the time, I don't experience the loss of GPS as you indicate on BlackBerry Maps.

I'm going to try it again now and let you know.
    I don't like having to preface it that way too but the last time I posted something about Maps, albeit quite some time ago, I was torn several new ones and there are other things that I try my hardest not to bring up here due to bad experiences. Over all I do find CB better but I just don't want to deal with the BS if it all flares up again.

Thanks for looking into the issue. Appreciated.
    rayporsche likes this.
    02-04-17 10:50 AM
    I don't like having to preface it that way too but the last time I posted something about Maps, albeit quite some time ago, I was torn several new ones and there are other things that I try my hardest not to bring up here due to bad experiences. Over all I do find CB better but I just don't want to deal with the BS if it all flares up again.

Thanks for looking into the issue. Appreciated.
    Btw, still tracking well after 25 minutes.
    02-04-17 10:53 AM
    I'm jealous! Heading out soon, will give it another go and see what happens.
    02-04-17 11:30 AM
    My GPS sucks now. It doesn't find my correct location. Before it was very fast and accurate. Blackberry is starting to suck now. I hope the next update fixes this.

TMO  PP SE,SQW100-4/10.3.3.1435
    02-04-17 12:05 PM
    Worked perfectly on the way out, wouldn't work at all on the drive home despite tests showing adequate satellite coverage.
    02-04-17 03:16 PM
    Working for me. BlackBerry maps is my go to map app.

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche likes this.
    02-04-17 03:29 PM
    I'm on PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2163 and use BlackBerry Maps all the time, traveling 2--3 times per month, and just last week.

My advice, try and narrow the signs. What do you mean by signal just shuts down? The GPS location? The mobile wireless signal? Is it the app?

GPS location will (or should) function even with radios off.

Use something like Hello GPS to evaluate the GPS. In fact Hello GPS will be perfect for this.

Once you identify precisely what is not functioning as expected, you can decide next step.

Hopefully worst case is a clean OS reload.

Good luck.
    02-05-17 05:14 AM
    I'm on PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2163 and use BlackBerry Maps all the time, traveling 2--3 times per month, and just last week.

My advice, try and narrow the signs. What do you mean by signal just shuts down? The GPS location? The mobile wireless signal? Is it the app?

GPS location will (or should) function even with radios off.

Use something like Hello GPS to evaluate the GPS. In fact Hello GPS will be perfect for this.

Once you identify precisely what is not functioning as expected, you can decide next step.

Hopefully worst case is a clean OS reload.

Good luck.
    I already use a recent BB10 app called Sat Scanner which works brilliantly, the dev needs to come on CB and BB Central and pump his app! On the return journey, my PP found me easily enough but could map the route home saying that I wasn't connected to GPS. I ran a scan, it showed 20 satellites in view and I was connected to 7. Usually I connect to at least 8 but 7 should be more than enough to be able to map a destination accurately.

I'm trying to avoid yet another OS reinstall, I've done far too many in the last 2+ years for it to be fun anymore, if it was ever fun in the first place but it's increasingly looking like I'm going to have to.
    02-05-17 08:21 AM
    Understand. The time to reload, restore, setup accounts is the thing. For me anyway. It's easy enough. Just a pain for the time it takes.

Just thinking out loud....

So, the device is seeing the satellites.

The details are over my head, but something is breaking down in the communication between the app and the location services data. Or something is breaking down in the device's location services software. Problem is not the GPS.

You might start deleting apps that you even remotely think make use of location service. Obviously that is about everything nowadays. I would delete every user-installed app, restart, and test.

But my gut is a clean OS reload is what is needed.
    02-05-17 08:57 AM
    I have used bbmaps for quite sometime. I had the same GPS issue you referred to but it went away after some time. The only error I get now every once in a while is that Maps reports that my device is low on memory which is strange when I only have that app open.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 09:28 AM
    Seems like what ever the issue was Maps seems to have fixed itself. Just did a 60 mile round trip to pick someone up from the airport and decided to test Maps out despite knowing the route like the back of my hand. Maps performed flawlessly and with the traffic avoidance on the way back it reminded me why I love the app so much, even preferring it to my reasonably new Garmin.
    02-09-17 07:37 AM
    There are so many moving pieces to an app like BlackBerry Maps I'm not surprised. Apparently the issue was somewhere on the network or services side and not you.

And +1 on your remark about using Maps just for the traffic feature. It truly is great so long as you are in a location where you get it. I'm in a location now where I often get directed off the interstate onto back roads because of accidents and congestion and it's a different route around the mess all the time. Love it.
    02-09-17 10:48 AM