I noticed a much faster drain shortly after installing BlackBerry Travel, and Battery Guru confirmed it...even after a restart the fast drainage persisted. Once I deleted Travel, it immediately returned to normal. Anyone else see this? I did see one other mention of it in the BlackBerry World reviews for it already...

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 01:16 AM
    I actually noticed the same behavior.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 03:43 AM
    Might be happening to me too. I'm on 67% now whereas in would usually be on 80%.

I haven't used the app since yesterday so it seems to be increasing usage in the background.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 06:36 AM
    There's an option to turn off automatic trip scanning.

I don't travel that often. So don't need it scanning all the time.

Can turn on when closer to traveling.

That may help battery?

Posted via CB10
    allhookedup, JerBru and madx80h like this.
    03-22-13 06:52 AM
    I noticed while I was scheduling a trip that the phone was heating up considerably...I'll try turning off auto scanning. thanks for the tip.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 07:15 AM
    I noticed it yesterday as well. I since set my trip scanning to enable with a prompt to see if it makes a difference. Keeping an eye on it
    03-22-13 07:17 AM
    I was just wondering the same thing because my battery life has been noticeably shorter since I downloaded Travel. I also loaded up a few other apps yesterday, but Travel is the only one that seems to want to search for updates/run in the background (somewhat). I turned off Automatic Trip Scanning to see if that helps things.

In my opinion, when an app like this is closed, it should be closed. However, I can see how having it monitor flight status, etc, would require it to run constantly. I might end up deleting it if ends up running down my battery too much. BB Travel can pretty easily be accessed from the Browser anyway, though obviously not as nice!
    03-22-13 07:18 AM
    Good call I could not figure out what it was buy yes it started yesterday right after install.

Thanks for the heads up.

Deleting...

Posted via Jedi mind trick...
    03-22-13 07:20 AM
    I've removed trip scanning and it seems to have done the trick.

The app is too good to delete so hopefully this was the solution and that they will bring out a fix soon.
    03-22-13 07:35 AM
    Can anyone who observed this note what the actual increased power consumption was (numerically)? I haven't seen the same effect on mine but I believe I turned off such scanning features in the first minute of running it.
    RichardAitch likes this.
    03-22-13 08:26 AM
    turned off auto trip scan, and it stopped the bleeding.

Looks like a bug that needs to be fixed. I suggest everyone "Contact the developer" through your app world menu in the app. This needs to be fixed, I don't want to have to remember to turn it on when I know I have and itinerary coming in and remember to turn it off once I'm at my destination....etc etc.

All the reviews on BB world are all 5 star reviews (at first blush it seemed app was perfect), but we need to let BB know there are some issues.
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-22-13 08:30 AM
    I noticed the battery drain too. It was quite significant. Trying with scanning disabled to see if it makes a difference.
    03-22-13 10:21 AM
    If this "battery drain" issue is true, it's like saying, " thank God, the app is still unavailable to our device"... until an update fix the issue...

Posted via Z10
    RichardAitch likes this.
    03-22-13 11:09 AM
    I noticed the same thing after downloading the app. Phone had 100% at 8am, down to 49% by 11am (usually 70%). Turned off the auto trip scan and phone is back to normal.
    It does raise the question how some apps cannot run in the background on the Z10 but have to be minimised as a tile in order to function and that some functions of other apps are able to continue to function, such as trip scanning in this instance, when the app is not minimised.

This is what I have experienced - battery drain even when the app is not 'opened'.
    03-22-13 11:28 AM
    Not really... 3rd party apps can't, that doesn't mean 1st party apps don't have an api

Posted via CB10
    RichardAitch likes this.
    03-22-13 11:38 AM
    Well after going into 'Permissions' and removing access to Device Locations & GPS Locations this also seems to have helped.
    03-22-13 12:19 PM
    BB Travel is an amazing app. Best available hands down.
    I use it whenever I travel. Constantly amazed at the updates and the info provided. On one business trip I was reminded that a hotel was not booked for one segment. I was staying with a relative.

My question is. Why would you leave a travel app running if you do not have any trips planned?

Super pleased to have it available for Z10. I will Buy a second battery if necessary
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-22-13 12:45 PM
    Just deleted it. Battery drain mad. Prefer to wait for a fix. All this lack of testing doesn't bode well really.
    03-22-13 01:26 PM
    My question is. Why would you leave a travel app running if you do not have any trips planned?
    Well, the concept behind BB Travel is that it monitors for you and you don't have to actively manage it. So the trip scanning and push notifications will happen regardless.
    RichardAitch likes this.
    03-22-13 01:31 PM
    I just turned off Location and GPS and I'm at 62% we'll see if that helps... i loved having BlackBerry Travel on my 9900, I raved about how good it was to everyone with an iphone or android... i hope this battery drain issue gets fixed soon.
    RichardAitch likes this.
    03-22-13 01:43 PM
    I'm not seeing excessive battery drain with BlackBerry Travel, I take it that it runs in the background on BB10?

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 01:46 PM
    I experienced the excessive battery drain yesterday (2 full charges!) however tripscan nor any permissions for that matter were enabled. I may just delete the app for now
    RichardAitch likes this.
    03-22-13 03:15 PM
    My battery was draining quickly as well. Thanks for the tip, scanning now off.
    03-22-13 04:35 PM
    Auto scanning is for sure the culprit. Just turn that off until you know trip info is coming in to you

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    03-22-13 04:38 PM
    I turned off auto scan and disabled location and GPS and the drain has appeared to slow down... hopefully they fix this bug quickly.
    03-22-13 05:20 PM
57 123