i have not seen a thread on bb10 data usage and blackberry maps. i had to give up unlimited data so, do you use a lot of data while using maps? or is it download the route and then the program takes over. its not like streaming a video.
    04-12-13 10:54 AM
    I doubt it's a streaming video. Most likely the maps are stored in the server, transmitted, and rendered on your phone in a hierarchical pyramid fashion. That is, the device will retrieve low-detail vector map data of a wide area surrounding your location/route, and only retrieve high-detail data of much smaller map areas directly surrounding your location or along your route as needed. Keep in mind that map data is usually handled as vectors (line segments, end points, mathematical relationship data), as opposed to traditional 'raster' (i.e. pixel) data used for things such as google maps' 'satellite view'. Downloading vector information is much more 'data efficient' than downloading raster data, and thus should (if done right) result in only moderate data consumption.
    04-12-13 11:17 AM
    In another thread, someone tested BB Maps and Waze on the same route, and found that BB Maps used about 4x more data. I haven't tested this myself, so I can't confirm it.
    04-12-13 12:46 PM
    You can check data usage for the BB Maps app by running it along side the Data Usage Counter app

Available at the BlackBerry World

05-08-13 11:16 AM
    i have not seen a thread on bb10 data usage and blackberry maps. i had to give up unlimited data so, do you use a lot of data while using maps? or is it download the route and then the program takes over. its not like streaming a video.
    Fire Chest Usage can help you track and manage data usage. It's free in BB World.

Balckberry maps and data usage-available_now_2.png
    QtHelex and andrewwdai like this.
    01-26-14 07:39 AM
    We should have some kind of firewall app to control which app(s) can access via 4g or wifi. I understand this probably difficult because it may require changes in some system files, just like Android firewalls normally require "root".
    01-26-14 07:50 AM
    We should have some kind of firewall app to control which app(s) can access via 4g or wifi. I understand this probably difficult because it may require changes in some system files, just like Android firewalls normally require "root".
    This planned feature is a long way off (months?) because of limitations in the BB 10 API. It's like climbing a rope with one hand tied behind your back.
    01-26-14 08:02 AM
    Beginning with firmware 10.2.1 we get a built in tool to make visible which apps are consuming data and when. The next step would be indeed a tool to deny all kind of network access for certain apps.

All apps which were mentioned so far in this thread are perfectly for monitoring data usage on a montly basis.

If it is about checking how much data was used the past hour I prefer always BaSA. Not free, but maybe worth the few bucks since it offers a lot more:

A press on the "Calculate" Button would at example show here the used cellular data traffic in those 108 minutes with up to 10 seconds resolution.
    FireChestApps likes this.
    01-26-14 08:57 AM
    On official Version 10.2.1.1925, built-in Device Monitor will give you this information. Here is a screenshot from my location services. I have a Garmin in my car so my data shows zero, but you will be able to see your own personal usage.
    Balckberry maps and data usage-img_20140126_141840.png

Trusted Member Genius
    01-26-14 04:21 PM