Hi, does anyone have any suggestions for Chinese phrasebook, character recognition apps for a visit to mainland China shortly? BB Q10 user here. Ideally they should be able to run locally, without necessarily being internet-connected.
    07-15-15 11:50 AM
    Hi when I went a few years ago I used 1 called "Qingwen" and another called "Pleco". Now back then I had iPhone so your gonna have to search for the android versions.

Pleco is probably the most comprehensive Chinese dictionary you will find, I had it on my Z30 for a while too.. you can get additional features packs to use the camera to translate Chinese characters that way too..

Both of the apps I mentioned also do mandarin and Cantonese (when I went Pleco only did mandarin which is why I had 2 apps)

Alternatively Google translate I think has the feature now to translate with camera, but not sure if Google translate requires Internet connection.

Hope that helps. I only needed it myself a few times since my friends I was with are Chinese. Did use it once in Shanghai to ask somebody where the washroom was but then he replied in English lol

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 12:23 PM
    Thanks. Does Pleco work offline then? The pricing doesn't seem terrible if I can get the OCR to work on BB10.
    07-15-15 01:08 PM
    Yah I am pretty sure it downloads the whole dictionary so it's offline. And I never did test the OCR so can't really give input there, but I did try the OCR with Google translate and it worked. Was but buggy, but I don't have an actual android phone to see if it's just the tech or the hardware

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 03:33 PM
    It's a big app, like some dictionaries are for different regions of China I believe. Took a bit of getting used to, but handy for sure, has helped me learn some of the basics of Chinese anyways even if I can't really pronounce it properly

Posted via CB10
    Eupathic Impulse likes this.
    07-15-15 03:35 PM