Well,

Been a loyal BB user since Pearl 8130, upgrading to Storm 1, Storm 2, Torch 9800, Bold 9900 and now Z10 all on Telus.

All I can say is wow! It was definitely worth the wait! So...now that I've had this device for roughly 2 weeks, going through the many nice apps via BlackBerry App World I've really started to take more notice and pay much more attention to why apps need to access certain parts of the phone.

One app for example is 2 for 1 flashlight
    It's perfect for what it does but why does it need to access my shared files? Some apps (PhotoFun Free) are completely greyed out when you go to permission details. I can't opt to slide it to off like other apps. I can understand some need to connect to bbm which I hate when it updates my profile...I don't need to shout out to all my contacts that I'm using or on a particular app that's why I like to turn profile updates off.

Anyhoo...should we really be concerned when apps want access to certain data and yet doesn't give us the option to turn it off in application permissions?

What's your guys/gals view?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by qphone; 02-18-13 at 08:15 AM.
    02-18-13 07:59 AM
    these are all ported android apps, they are just converted with a simple step, the publishers (who took someone else's android apps, most of them have copyright issues) just want to get USD 100 or a free device, these ported apps may not really want to access your profile but since the original android apps has such permission request: android forces apps to declare the permissions during the installation, the bad ported ones then inherit the same request.

they don't care the difference between android OS and blackberry OS, they don't care why a flashlight app needs to access your contact.

so, delete it, and find a native one.
    Last edited by sh2sg; 02-18-13 at 08:50 AM.
    02-18-13 08:39 AM
    these are all ported android apps, they are just converted with a simple step, the publishers (who took someone else's android apps, most of them have copyright issues) just want to get USD 100 or a free device, these ported apps may not really want to access your profile but since the original android apps has such permission request: android forces apps to declare the permissions during the installation, the bad ported ones then inherit the same request.

they don't care the difference between android OS and blackberry OS, they don't care why a flashlight app needs to access your contact.

so, delete it, and find a native one.
    Yeah what's weird with some of these apps that were most likely ported from Android are that:

1. It does ask you after installing and opening seeking permission to access certain files
    2. When going to Application permissions, the option to close certain access is "GREYED" out (Not working)

Here's an example of the General Application Permissions Page:

Here's most likely an Android Port which shows the options to close access "GREYED" out. (Not working)

Here are two native BlackBerry Apps which also ask for permission for certain areas but at least the slider bars to turn on and off are NOT greyed out. (Working)

Flixter

CBC

and here's one for QR Scanner Pro which asks to connect to BBM but at least I can slide "Profile Updates" to off

So I'm wondering if in fact having an android port let alone a native app with "GREYED" out (non-working) on/off options bad and should be deleted?
    shivaji likes this.
    02-18-13 12:27 PM
    I've been wondering similiar 'cause apps like Overdrive and Zinio seem to insist on full, seemingly unlimited permissions and then contrary to sign up do NOT allow you (nowhere) to change (this personally experienced on Playbook platform)

While doing a search previous to spotting this thread, this article popped up;
    BlackBerry 101 - Application permissions | CrackBerry.com
    Still pertinent (even over 2yrs old), as a generic heads-up and FYI !

Our recent chatter over on another thread not actually dealing with app permissions;
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...issues-773068/
    excerpt,
    "..... Yesterday, 03:20 PM #7 ..... Quote Originally Posted by Cracklen View Post
    Zinio does not seem to work here either ! Have PCformat loaded , tap on the stick arrow starts the spin but just as quickly up pops error 1009 !? Might be 'cause I always decline their software access to "personal data on unit..." which they also say is changeable later. but I've seen that statement within Overdrive setup also and it don't work a-tall. Another that never did find the stated scrn where they say changes can be subsequently made.
    So zinio loaded but not working ....just spinner action like it is trying and trying to dwnld ! You DO have to grant Zinio Permissions or it will NOT run. And you are correct, Overdrive was the other app (Kalemsoft, was also like that), where, if you denied the Permissions, they did not appear in the Security Permission List and you were SCREWED!! There was no way to fix it after the initial denial. I had to do a Security Wipe and reinstall to grant permissions. And something I installed the other day, asked for a Permission and I granted it, expecting to change it later - well, it is not in the list to change it either.
    This inconsistent behavior and limitations on levels of Permission are somewhat disturbing. "

I'm going to delete Zinio (boycott til they open up their permission choices) as I have enough anyways to read w/o digital tablet format of publications. And likely do the same with Overdrive and table it with both our public lib. and the overdrive corp. ..... back to a hard/tactile, less invasive format !?

imho
    02-18-13 03:58 PM
    Is there a risk if when down load a app on say my Q10 and it asks for shared files to be turned on before it allows me to use the App.
    12-29-13 02:46 PM
    Is there a risk if when down load a app on say my Q10 and it asks for shared files to be turned on before it allows me to use the App.
    If a app doesn't get access to the files. Some of its functions won't work. Such as the sharing function for pics or whatever.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Goldwing07 likes this.
    12-29-13 02:50 PM
    And some are designed so that unless you grant the permissionS, you canNOT even use them at all. They immediately close.
    12-29-13 06:04 PM