What I don't understand... is how can so many companies be closed minded to not even consider throwing their android app into a converter to see if it runs under BB10? And why in the community is it seen as a red herring?

For the ones who are too cheap to consider building native, this HAS to be the first step, to give them a hit of the sweet CrackBerry juice. Convert your lame Android app, see what the users say, and if the feedback and userbase is there... SPEND the time to build native. "Oh wow, we got 100,000 installs of our converted fart app on a platform with 3% userbase of what the big guys have. Maybe we should consider building a native app, because there's a great feature we could take advantage of like toast, actionable notifications, etc..." Am I crazy here? That would be one of my paths to success for getting these devs to consider the platform if I were making the calls.

There's got to be BIG plans for the Android runtime for the BB10 team to have put so much time and effort into getting it in place. Such a unique feature should not be perceived so negatively and squandered.

Port-a-thons and dev bounty programs don't attract the big guys. The big guys are what bring userbase. They don't need your patronage, BlackBerry. Programs like these attract the low hanging fruit, the app generators, app factories, etc. AKA the stuff that has been getting you all that bad press lately. Change needs to happen! NO OTHER PLATFORM has the ability to run Android apps like we can, in addition to a host of high quality apps built natively. That can be more than a stopgap solution. That is the low cost of entry option for developers to participate in the process and give App World time to get its ____ together. Let them see how their converted app does, and based on real data, decide whether or not to develop for the platform.

What would you, the CB community, set as directives for App World success? Give us your top 10.
    1. Streamline process to convert Android to BB. Include workflow to update the converted apps as new versions release.
    2. Make the 4.x Android runtime the best one available. Remove the stigma of converted apps.
    3. Kill the "we have no plans to develop for BlackBerry at this time" response dead in its tracks. Want a low risk, low effort way to expand your userbase in an eager market? Give BlackBerry a look.
    4. Brand Android-converted apps in a section of the catalog. Promote the high profile converts. Put an android-green BB logo in the corner so it's clear.
    5. Develop transition program to let established "converts" publish native apps and promote these all as "wins" on a Tumblr blog or something public.
    6. Handle abuse of the BB App World strongly and swiftly. Don't allow developers to game the system with thousands of apps. Those are not the developers you want! No more doublespeak excuses for app gap. Respond to bad press with action.
    7. Set standards, allow App World flagging/reporting of apps to let users help.
    8. Promote high quality apps (this is kind of being done with the Built for BlackBerry program). Become the Canadian Cadillac of app catalogs!
    9. Have a success story. Find the young kid developing a BB app and make a commercial out of it.
    10. Listen to the community. Don't be lazy.
    08-22-13 10:04 AM
    08-22-13 10:06 AM
    Because, relatively speaking, hardly anybody has a Blackberry nowadays.
    08-22-13 10:09 AM
    Because, relatively speaking, hardly anybody has a Blackberry nowadays.
    Thank you.
    We know.
    What are some things that can be done to change that?
    08-22-13 10:11 AM
    Thank you.
    We know.
    What are some things that can be done to change that?
    I was merely responding to your very first paragraph.
    08-22-13 10:15 AM