I have used BB for years but only have one personal bbm contact. And even with that contact we usually end up just texting out of habit. Everyone in my office has work BB's so we bbm daily on our work phones because I created a bbm group. It works great and is very convenient but the only reason we bbm rather than use another messaging service is because we're all on bb's and we can't install apps anyways.

I don't have experience with whatsapp, imessage, or any other group messaging apps. What's the advantage to bbm over other apps or even just sending out group texts? Once bbm is released for iOS and Android how would I sell it to friends and family? Is it just the possibility of video chat and screen sharing that may be released in future versions? We can already video chat with Skype. And aren't most users, at least in the US, on unlimited text plans so they can already text as much as they want?

So what's the selling feature that will convince people who already use whatsapp or whatever other messaging services are out there to switch to bbm?
    07-03-13 06:53 PM
    The selling feature with BBM out the gates is nostalgia I think. That's what's selling me anyways. I'm an iPhone user but I always loved my BlackBerry devices, only got rid of it because of the issues with legacy OS that never got fixed or still persist. BBM has improved vastly since the last time I used it so I am looking forward to using it again and I'm sure a bunch of people that used it in the past will be surprised and excited to use it again.

I know my company is on watch for when it goes live because today, everyone has a mix of BlackBerry, Android and iOS. If they can get everyone on one platform, it will be super easy to shoot messages back and forth to individuals between departments and offices. Looking forward to it!
    07-03-13 06:59 PM
    Why isn't your company already doing this with whatsapp or another option?
    07-03-13 07:02 PM
    I have used BB for years but only have one personal bbm contact. And even with that contact we usually end up just texting out of habit. Everyone in my office has work BB's so we bbm daily on our work phones because I created a bbm group. It works great and is very convenient but the only reason we bbm rather than use another messaging service is because we're all on bb's and we can't install apps anyways.

I don't have experience with whatsapp, imessage, or any other group messaging apps. What's the advantage to bbm over other apps or even just sending out group texts? Once bbm is released for iOS and Android how would I sell it to friends and family? Is it just the possibility of video chat and screen sharing that may be released in future versions? We can already video chat with Skype. And aren't most users, at least in the US, on unlimited text plans so they can already text as much as they want?

So what's the selling feature that will convince people who already use whatsapp or whatever other messaging services are out there to switch to bbm?
    Hi and welcome to the forums of CrackBerry!
    BBM is simply the best messenger to use. It is easy, secure, you can exchange photos and voice notes seamlessly. I use Whatsapp. Not ready for primetime, as far as I am concerned. I use it only because some of my friends went to iphones. It is nearly impossible to send voice notes to whatsapp now, you need to use an external recording program to do it.

BBM is so popular and desirable than when a fake version of the app appeared in the Google play store over 100,000 downloaded it before they realized it was a hoax. You won't have to convince anyone to go to BBM. They will all flock.
    mark37724 likes this.
    07-03-13 07:03 PM
    So does it basically offer the same features as other apps but we're hoping it works better?

I still don't understand what's the attraction to these types of apps vs. texting? I can send photos, videos, etc, over text. The only reason we use bbm at work is because I'm a bb geek and when we got bb's I set up everyone on a bbm group. I suppose we could group text just as easily but no one cares enough about their work phone to even bother figuring out how to text. They get their emails, make phone calls, and use bbm.
    07-03-13 07:26 PM
    One word: Reliability
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    07-03-13 07:56 PM
    BBM channel is one thing to look forward too.

Well not all country have a reliable sms/mms capabilities to send pictures, videos, or files. IM is way cheaper.

Posted using The Z10
    07-03-13 09:58 PM
    It seems to me that the main attraction of BBM is to obviate the need for a Blackberry device. It will facilitate the ability of someone currently on a Blackberry-exclusive network to try out non-Blackberry hardware. I fail to see how BBM attracts owners of other hardware to Blackberry. BBM may be neat, reliable, and secure but the functionality is already experienced by users of other platforms for free. I suspect that's why Blackberry is dragging their feet on this. Their market research probably reveals that it will cannibalize their hardware sales more than anything else and they can't possibly charge enough for BBM to make up for it.
    07-03-13 10:11 PM
    I suspect that's why Blackberry is dragging their feet on this.
    I'm pretty sure they're working as fast as they can to meet their end of summer deadline.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 10:18 PM
    I thought they said "summer", not end of summer, so could be anytime.Am I wrong?
    07-04-13 09:14 AM
    Haha, exactly! This thread is hilarious. Well, and sad too. No one has come up with even one unique selling point. Let's face it. BlackBerry is already unable to perform the tasks that it has now. It can never outperform companies like WhatsApp that only have one product and think everyday about how to make it better.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 09:19 AM
    That's what I'm trying to understand...what is the selling feature of bbm? My parents have switched from bb to iphone, my brother and sister are iphone, my other brother and I are still die-hard bb, and my wife is android. Once bbm is available, what am I telling them the reason is they should all install it and start using it to communicate? We can already text eachother. We already send photos/videos via mms.
    07-04-13 12:04 PM
    That's what I'm trying to understand...what is the selling feature of bbm? My parents have switched from bb to iphone, my brother and sister are iphone, my other brother and I are still die-hard bb, and my wife is android. Once bbm is available, what am I telling them the reason is they should all install it and start using it to communicate? We can already text eachother. We already send photos/videos via mms.
    Aside from the fact that I don't have an unlimited text package, and mms is really expensive, I love bbm because it is reliable, and you have visibility into your message with D and R - you never are wondering if someone got your message or not, or whether it even made it to their phone. Secondly, bbm groups is awesome. I have shared calendars and lists with my family. Voice and video chat is really great, sound is super clear. I like using voice only chat because you aren't always somewhere where you want to be doing a video chat - basically free long distance (especially on wifi)

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 12:31 PM
    I thought they said "summer", not end of summer, so could be anytime.Am I wrong?
    I'm just hoping that they keep their promise unlike promising to release BBOS 10 for the Playbook and now recently saying that due to difficulties they won't be releasing it and will probably stop support for the Playbook.
    07-04-13 05:48 PM