Is because when it downloads and installs from BB World, it not only asks me to accept the app permissions, but allows me to turn on and off each aspect of the app permissions. With Android you just eat it, and maybe you can turn on or on location services after the fact. With BB10 apps, right from the get go I can say "No, you don't need access to my camera!"

BB10 native apps forever!
    06-25-14 04:14 PM
    What I hate most about Android Apps on my Z30 is the text selecting and editing. It is so much better on BB10 apps. I'm not sure exactly how BB plans to handle the Native/Amazon situation, but I think it's possible that native developers might be pleasantly surprised, rather than disappointed, if the move allows the user base to grow - resulting in an increasing number of people seeking out the superior native apps. I also have a feeling that the vast majority of people here on CrackBerry who have purchased native apps from BB World in the past will continue to look for them when available.
    campbecw, cbosdell and LoneStarRed like this.
    06-25-14 05:22 PM
    What I hate most about Android Apps on my Z30 is the text selecting and editing. It is so much better on BB10 apps. I'm not sure exactly how BB plans to handle the Native/Amazon situation, but I think it's possible that native developers might be pleasantly surprised, rather than disappointed, if the move allows the user base to grow - resulting in an increasing number of people seeking out the superior native apps. I also have a feeling that the vast majority of people here on CrackBerry who have purchased native apps from BB World in the past will continue to look for them when available.
    Nifty theory. It makes sense. Now let's hope that it plays out that way!

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    06-25-14 05:27 PM
    But I believe this is another big reason why people review apps terribly in BlackBerry World. App doesn't work properly because of not allowing some permission

Posted via CB10
    jayemmbee likes this.
    06-25-14 07:23 PM
    Is because when it downloads and installs from BB World, it not only asks me to accept the app permissions, but allows me to turn on and off each aspect of the app permissions. With Android you just eat it, and maybe you can turn on or on location services after the fact. With BB10 apps, right from the get go I can say "No, you don't need access to my camera!"

BB10 native apps forever!
    10.3 uses android 4.3 runtime . You can adjust android app permissions on 4.3 as you may know.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    06-25-14 07:28 PM
    Well but if the app is properly coded, it will detect the missing permissions and explain why that one is needed.
    Example : most s4bb apps refuse to start until you give bbm permissions so they can spam your friends (that's why they're on my personal blacklist - I can't believe they are BlackBerry elite, they should be banned by BlackBerry World )

Posted via Z10
    06-25-14 07:28 PM
    I actually prefer the Android approach. It's intrusive, yes, but do you not see the bad reviews due to technologically impaired individuals denying essential permissions?

Hell, do you not see here some saying "there's something wrong with the CB app because I can't attach pictures", always followed by "turn on the shared files permission"?

I'm with Nem.
    jayemmbee likes this.
    06-25-14 07:41 PM
    10.3 uses android 4.3 runtime . You can adjust android app permissions on 4.3 as you may know.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    Didn't, thanks!

Q10SQN100-2/10.2.1.2174
    06-25-14 07:46 PM
    I'm really unsure, and not convinced, that the reason apps get bad reviews in BlackBerry World is because people are turning off permissions that cripple apps. I'd be interested to see the comments analysed to see if that's indeed the case.

But frankly, I care little about popularity of apps. I want an app I can control. Why the hell does this game need access to my microphone? It's not voice controlled. Why the hell does this app need my contact list? I don't want people spammed.

That's the kind of control my style of user looks for, and believe that is the style of user Chen's BlackBerry is aiming at. So, I hope this keeps up.

My main point was, BlackBerry is about security, and the fact that we can experience it at such a basic level as downloading and installing apps is a big big plus in my mind.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    FF22 likes this.
    06-25-14 09:47 PM
    Example : most s4bb apps refuse to start until you give bbm permissions so they can spam your friends

Posted via Z10
    Actually bbm permission allows app to change user avatar and status message but not to send bbm messages. Moreover, each such action is presented with a confirmation dialog so the user can say no even though the bbm permission was granted.

In general, BlackBerry over protected their devices and that partly was a problem of consumer adoption.

Posted via CB10
    campbecw likes this.
    06-25-14 09:56 PM
    People over react to the permissions

You want to deny every. Permission as if you got launch codes on your phones or that the app will go door to door salesman on your contacts

But when the app doesn't work properly because you denied permissions you want to complain without merit

Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm likes this.
    06-25-14 10:11 PM
    People over react to the permissions

You want to deny every. Permission as if you got launch codes on your phones or that the app will go door to door salesman on your contacts

But when the app doesn't work properly because you denied permissions you want to complain without merit

Posted via CB10
    I believe this is not related to permissions.
    If a poorly written application drains battery or exits on its own or show any other problem then users would complain and switch.
    On the other hand, a properly tested application written for BB10 that was not granted some permissions will show a message to the user why those permissions are required. I usually deny all the permissions upon install and some apps warned about limited functionality.
    campbecw likes this.
    06-25-14 10:20 PM
    I believe this is not related to permissions.
    If a poorly written application drains battery or exits on its own or show any other problem then users would complain and switch.
    On the other hand, a properly tested application written for BB10 that was not granted some permissions will show a message to the user why those permissions are required. I usually deny all the permissions upon install and some apps warned about limited functionality.
    This +1

06-25-14 10:25 PM
    Actually bbm permission allows app to change user avatar and status message but not to send bbm messages.
    If the permission is granted, everyon can see that I installed the app on my BBM profile.
    I don't like this, and most s4bb apps detect this and will avoid running if the BBM permission is rewoked
    06-26-14 05:36 AM