I am just wondering if anyone has any apps that they would like on the upcoming BlackBerry 10 phones. Just trying to get an idea of what everyone wants the most of.

I have had a few people say Pinterest since there is no BlackBerry app.

I am posting it in this form to get non-developers opinions on apps that people want (since I know developers always have some ideas). Also I hope I will be able to make more then one of the suggested apps.

I hope this will also help other developers to make BB10 apps that people really want.
    Last edited by Big BB; 05-15-12 at 04:20 PM.
    05-15-12 02:51 PM
    Personally, I find the Wikitude app too cluttering. It seems to do too much.

With that said, I like the idea of using Wikitude to find BBM friends on a map.

So it'd be awesome if you can make an app that lets BB (or any smartphone) users find either other on a map/GPS. Or maybe integrate it with Google Maps or something; the execution is really up to you.

Cheers
    05-15-12 05:23 PM
    I would like to see a personal assistance app like siri.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650
    using Tapatalk
    05-15-12 10:52 PM
    Personally, I find the Wikitude app too cluttering. It seems to do too much.

With that said, I like the idea of using Wikitude to find BBM friends on a map.

So it'd be awesome if you can make an app that lets BB (or any smartphone) users find either other on a map/GPS. Or maybe integrate it with Google Maps or something; the execution is really up to you.

Cheers
    The only problem with that is all of your friends would have to have the app also and give permission to view their location. Would be interesting to work on one though.
    05-16-12 10:20 AM
    I would like to have the official IMDb app. It's still missing

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using CrackBerry Forums App
    ingris, Plazmic Flame and meganVee like this.
    05-16-12 03:55 PM
    The only problem with that is all of your friends would have to have the app also and give permission to view their location. Would be interesting to work on one though.
    Luckily for me [unlike many others on this forum =( ], all my mainstream friends (don't know what to say for "main group of friends") are all still on BlackBerry =) The 7 of us from elementary/middle school are still tight. I wanted to suggest this idea because we recently drove to Mt. Tremblant for a snowboard trip with three cars and it would've been nice to have such an app since we all left Toronto at different times and our chalet's address did not show up on Google Maps.
    05-16-12 04:33 PM
    How about an app that calculates up the grocery products that you get at the store. Say you're using the barcode and can scan the price and the app remembers this information and calculates up how much everything is before you go to the cash register. (I know this is for the BB10, but Is there Anyone that knows of an app like this for the 9900? If so, please send me to the right link, or forum. Thanks)
    meganVee and Mecca EL like this.
    05-17-12 12:01 AM
    I would like to have the official IMDb app. It's still missing
    I have already looked into making an IMDB app, it just IMDB does not have an API* to get the information for the app. I have been looking into a few unofficial APIs that a few have made.

*API - is a way to get the information requested. Think of the API as a restaurant waiter you would ask for what you want (all movies that Harrison Ford is in) then the waiter would bring you what you requested.
    05-17-12 08:13 AM
    Luckily for me [unlike many others on this forum =( ], all my mainstream friends (don't know what to say for "main group of friends") are all still on BlackBerry =) The 7 of us from elementary/middle school are still tight. I wanted to suggest this idea because we recently drove to Mt. Tremblant for a snowboard trip with three cars and it would've been nice to have such an app since we all left Toronto at different times and our chalet's address did not show up on Google Maps.
    If you have google maps app then you should be able to use google latitude it lets you view your friends locations on your map.
    z1nsane and DocDRM like this.
    05-18-12 12:44 PM
    How about an app that calculates up the grocery products that you get at the store. Say you're using the barcode and can scan the price and the app remembers this information and calculates up how much everything is before you go to the cash register. (I know this is for the BB10, but Is there Anyone that knows of an app like this for the 9900? If so, please send me to the right link, or forum. Thanks)
    The only thing is that barcodes are for a product not for the price of the product, because each store has their own price for the same product as other stores.

If the stores would allow access to their database for the product price then the barcode could be used, or if they could on board they could just put QR codes on the label with would be very easy to get the required information for the app (a lot of leg work to get stores on board).

another thing to use could be number recognition using the camera for price labels, but store might have multiple number on the label.

would you be ok with enter the price in manually.

I will look into other ways of access the necessary information.
    05-18-12 12:53 PM
    I have already looked into making an IMDB app, it just IMDB does not have an API* to get the information for the app. I have been looking into a few unofficial APIs that a few have made.

*API - is a way to get the information requested. Think of the API as a restaurant waiter you would ask for what you want (all movies that Harrison Ford is in) then the waiter would bring you what you requested.

Thank you for your reply. So does this mean that IMDb.com would be the only one that actually can develop a IMDb app, because they have the right APIs?

05-21-12 03:03 PM
    Thank you for your reply. So does this mean that IMDb.com would be the only one that actually can develop a IMDb app, because they have the right APIs?

It means that only IMDB could build an app that's much better than their webpage without all sorts of time and trouble that probably won't pay off

The webpage works great, and I'll make you a quick free app to open it in a chromeless browser window if you want.
    big bb likes this.
    05-21-12 10:29 PM
    It means that only IMDB could build an app that's much better than their webpage without all sorts of time and trouble that probably won't pay off
    SCrid2000 is right. Any developer that makes a IMDB app would not be as good as an Official app made by IMDB, because third part APIs could work one day but not the next.
    05-22-12 09:58 AM

The webpage works great, and I'll make you a quick free app to open it in a chromeless browser window if you want.

Wow, thanks a million! Chromeless browser sounds really nice. It would be great if it's not too much work for you ofcourse.

05-22-12 03:09 PM
    K it's made.
    Screenshots:

You can download it from Free SCrApps Apps.
    This is actually made for the PlayBook, but it should work just fine on the Dev Alpha, with the exception of the dropdown menu, which for some reason doesn't work on it (and makes the dropdown button in the top righthand corner somewhat useless)

The source is available at https://github.com/OpenSourceBBx/IMDb-Weblauncher
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 05-22-12 at 10:23 PM.
    dibbis and AT_Nepal like this.
    05-22-12 08:52 PM
    How about an app like ShortcutMe for BB10? Assuming you can pull out the menu whenever you want like on the PlayBook.
    05-23-12 11:03 AM
    How about an app like ShortcutMe for BB10? Assuming you can pull out the menu whenever you want like on the PlayBook.
    I had been thinking of one like that also, I was thinking of using the bezel doing different gestures to get to what you want.
    05-23-12 11:32 AM
    K it's made.
    Screenshots:
    Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

You can download it from Free SCrApps Apps.
    This is actually made for the PlayBook, but it should work just fine on the Dev Alpha, with the exception of the dropdown menu, which for some reason doesn't work on it (and makes the dropdown button in the top righthand corner somewhat useless)

The source is available at https://github.com/OpenSourceBBx/IMDb-Weblauncher
    Thank you very much :-), it has a native app feeling. I actually do not own a BB10 Alpha device, but I use it on the Playbook.
    05-23-12 12:38 PM
    There is sooo much money to be made dev apps for BB 10. Many major business players need BB10 apps. CME. DTN most agriculture industry leaders I know for sure. Too bad I cant switch to writeing code for these phones. Would be a great opportunity indeed!! Need phone management apps like call blockers and call mangement too. Stuff for small business and independant contractors. LIKE ATT office at hand solution , virtual secretary. call reject apps for unknown callers etc.
    EsJayDee likes this.
    05-31-12 07:44 PM
    There is sooo much money to be made dev apps for BB 10. Many major business players need BB10 apps. CME. DTN most agriculture industry leaders I know for sure. Too bad I cant switch to writeing code for these phones. Would be a great opportunity indeed!! Need phone management apps like call blockers and call mangement too. Stuff for small business and independant contractors. LIKE ATT office at hand solution , virtual secretary. call reject apps for unknown callers etc.
    I agree with you, I just recently convinced to the company i work for to go with BB10. I was not to hard since i am their only developer. I will be working on an app that is for delivery drivers to keep track of what they drop off and take pictures and get signature from a manager and all information would be sent back to their servers. I am also working on a similar app for my wife's work for their sales reps so they have the information they need and to place orders while they are visiting clients. I also have an app that will keep track of the movies you own and who has borrowed them, my sister has a ton of movies and would forgot if she already owns the movie and would end up buying the same one lol.
    EsJayDee likes this.
    06-14-12 12:36 PM
    I had a few apps. Some already exist but some are new.Here is a few:
    -A motivational app for youth: you give yourself an objective, you add different steps on how to get there and you have a bar that shows you how close you are to finnishing. Then, you get points.
    - An app for authors: you can input all the main points, chapter by chapter and have a plot graph.
    - A geocaching app
    - For nature lovers: depending on your location, you have a different list of leafs. You have to find them and take a picture of them, if you succeed you get points. That app can also help you learn new tree species.
    - An app that lets you take panorama pictures.
    - (more for the playbook size): and architecture app that lets you design houses, dimensions, room placement and stairs.

I have more ideas but for now this is enough
    07-20-12 10:56 AM
    Oh and i forgot:
    i would really want to have (for the playbook or for a bb10 device) a simple video editing app. I want to cut and add music to videos from my device. You could also make a premium version with effects and other options. Finally, dont forget to add the possibility to upload strait to youtube
    07-20-12 11:03 AM
    Oh and i forgot:
    i would really want to have (for the playbook or for a bb10 device) a simple video editing app. I want to cut and add music to videos from my device. You could also make a premium version with effects and other options. Finally, dont forget to add the possibility to upload strait to youtube
    Something like that might come with BB10 - it's called JayCut. I don't have much info about it though.
    07-20-12 04:35 PM
    For nature lovers: depending on your location, you have a different list of leafs. You have to find them and take a picture of them, if you succeed you get points. That app can also help you learn new tree species.
    That is interesting, it could also be used by people that just want to know a type of tree or plant, could also have information about the plant (like how to take care or it, where they are found, etc...)

An app that lets you take panorama pictures.
    There is going to be a panorama app. I think it was orlando that they show it off

(more for the playbook size): and architecture app that lets you design houses, dimensions, room placement and stairs.
    I would like to try making this one, even though it is a big one
    08-03-12 08:56 AM
    BB10 needs to open the bridge to the gps for the playbook. The gps is not precise enough.
    I took a trip and used Magellan Compass Maps on my playbook with my 9810. Magellan would say i was off my route because there would be another road next to the interstate.
    The gps of the phones work better and have access to the cell towers to pin point you.
    DocDRM likes this.
    08-14-12 08:27 AM
124 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD