View Poll Results: Would you like a WiFi Search, with Built-in Speed Test, and Management App ?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and i am willing to pay $4.99+ for an app like this

0 0%
  • Yes, and i am willing to pay $1.99+ for an app like this

0 0%
  • Yes, and i am willing to pay $0.99+ for an app like this

2 66.67%
  • Yes, but ONLY if it is free

1 33.33%
  • Yes

0 0%
  • NO

0 0%
    Here is another one in the series of App Requests.

1.) GPS Phone Locator for Lost or Stolen Phones
    2.) A Multiformat EBook Reader and/or Comic Book Reader
    3.) WiFi Search, with Built-in Speed Test, and Management

These are apps that I would want to have in my next BB10 phone. I would try and lay out the kind of functionality that I would like to see in the requested app, feel free to join in and suggest improvements etc.

• I would like if the developers would join in on the discussion and share ideas on what would be the best way to build such an app.
    • Should you decide to take up development of the said app, I would encourage you to share your progress in this thread and get feedback from the community.
    • I would also like to encourage multiple developers to take on the project since there are so many ways the same thing can be approached, and the more apps the merrier
    • I will also put up Polls with each App Request, so the developers can gauge the interest that people show for the said App.

WiFi Search, with Built-in Speed Test, and Management

There will obviously be a native settings thing for WiFi, and probably multiple third party applications, but the premise of this app will be to provide the user with more useful information at a glance, and greater control over the wireless connectivity of the device.

Greater Control
    1. The user should be able to "FIX" a wireless network, so that if the device moves out of range of the specified network, it should not try and connect to any other Saved/Open networks. Instead it should wait to go back into range, and only connect to that particular network.
    2. The user should be able to set a connection as a "Metered Connection", and set a limit on the total amount data transfer per month. This would also issue Notifications if the said connections reach 50%, 75%, 95% and 100% of the fixed limit.
    3. The user should be able to set priority for connection to wireless networks, based on Signal Strength, Internet Speed, Time of Day etc.

Useful Information
    1. Show all available WiFi Networks with common details such as Name, Signal Strength, Open/Password Protected, Saved/New etc.
    2. This app should have a Built-in Speed Test, and while at the screen where it lists all the available wireless networks, the user should be able to press a button and query all or a subset of all available wireless networks whether or not they have internet access, and at what speeds.
    3. It should also show the total amount of data used on any network, and reset manually or automatically at the start of each month, while archiving the last 6 months to enable the user to view history for any connection.

Perceived Challenges
    • If a WiFi connection is not initiated through this app, will it still be able to monitor data usage ?
    • Will the Active Frame for such an app have to remain open for it to apply settings like "FIX" and for monitoring data usage ?

Please participate actively in the Polls so the Developers can gauge demand.
    01-23-13 06:42 AM
    Developers do not have the required access to the Wi-Fi services to make an app like this possible, sorry
    Wi-Fi Service Library - Native SDK for BB10 - BlackBerry Developer
    01-23-13 06:56 AM
    BlackBerry Protect will allow for the location of stolen/lost BlackBerry devices on BlackBerry 10.
    01-23-13 06:57 AM
    Developers do not have the required access to the Wi-Fi services to make an app like this possible, sorry
    Wi-Fi Service Library - Native SDK for BB10 - BlackBerry Developer
    Well that is uncool ... I guess if any workaround cant be found, I will be putting this up for consideration in the Beta Zone.

BlackBerry Protect will allow for the location of stolen/lost BlackBerry devices on BlackBerry 10.
    Yes that is true, however the features I am proposing in the app are not available on BB Protect, you can follow the link in the first post and see what I mean
    01-23-13 01:25 PM
    Poll results aren't very encouraging lol - one person voted, and said they'd only want it if it was free.
    01-24-13 05:52 PM
    Yes that is true, however the features I am proposing in the app are not available on BB Protect, you can follow the link in the first post and see what I mean
    The inherent problem with building an app like this would be that it has to be open at all times. Only RIM apps can run background services which is what I would expect BB Protect will do. I assume that will change at some point in the future, but as of now its a rather clumsy to have to have an app open at all times.
    01-24-13 05:57 PM
    Poll results aren't very encouraging lol - one person voted, and said they'd only want it if it was free.
    Oh well I guess the first reply would have to do something with that, even I didn't vote.

The inherent problem with building an app like this would be that it has to be open at all times. Only RIM apps can run background services which is what I would expect BB Protect will do.
    Well that makes two of my suggested apps pretty much "undevelopable" because they would have to work in the background, and not need Active Frames to work. I really hope RIM makes some changes in the future to help developers make apps whose main purpose is to run in the background, an active frame can then be used just as a place to toggle settings for the app.

I assume that will change at some point in the future, but as of now its a rather clumsy to have to have an app open at all times.
    Not to mention there is a limit on the total number of open apps
    01-26-13 05:20 AM