Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Z10 Flipcase - What Were BlackBerry Thinking?

Hi folks,

I just purchased a Z10 flip case, and... well...!

Isn't the fact that opening the cover unlocks the screen a bit silly, when the case absolutely refuses to stay closed? The moment a move the phone, or if it's in a pocket or bag, the screen basically switches on all of the time draining the battery and causing unintended screen-presses.

Loving my Z10, but I wish a bit more thought had gone into the official case!

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    arvind1983 (03-13-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    BB10QNX

That is unfortunate, I personally have read mostly good reviews of this case. I have a transform case and love it. You should check it out if you are not satisfied with your case. It also comes with a screen protector. Just my 2 cents.

CB10 App, Z10
    Thanked by:
    Deckard79 (03-12-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

One more thing... that being the case, shouldn't there also be an option on the Z10 to disable the auto-on feature?

If it had this, the design flaw wouldn't bean issue.

It wasn't expensive and I can return it. It's simply quite baffling that someone in Blackberry actually designed the thing without it noticing!

Can't they hire me instead?!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

I have the flip shell case and I found that it 'tamed' through use and now stays in place better.

As long as I keep it in my pocket or pouch in my shoulder bag the flap stays in place. But if I put it in the main compartment of my bag it does tend to flap open with movement.

My main issue with flip shell is that when it's closed I can't see the LED and the side ports aren't accessible.

Posted via CB10
    Neil B | BlackBerry Z10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts

The flip case sucks.
    You paid ~$40 for a product that does one thing.
    The flip case should stay closed, and help to conserve battery / protect your phone.
    BUT the flip case doesn't stay closed; the construction is just poor.
    If it can't do that, it's not doing its job. Period.

Theres really no need to "compromise." You should get what was advertised and what you paid for, and it just isnt up to that standard unfortunately.

However, I think they did really good with the transform shell case.
    I just purchased it after returning the flip case and I have to say I love it!
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    24D72E0F

not sure if it will help but if you open the "phone" app and pull down from the top to get its "settings" there's a holster option to autoanswer and end calls by removing or inserting in the holster, perhaps disabling the answer one will do it?
    Thanked by:
    SDTRMG (03-12-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by slparry View Post
    not sure if it will help but if you open the "phone" app and pull down from the top to get its "settings" there's a holster option to autoanswer and end calls by removing or inserting in the holster, perhaps disabling the answer one will do it?
    I would bet that will work but I think one of the key feature points of a flip cover, on a smartphone or tablet, is that it turns on the screen when you open it.
    I have the transform shell and think it's great. Not bulky and it is a stand.
    Z30
  8. tfp
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,459 Global Posts

I have the Flip Case and absolutely love it! Not sure what you were expecting of the case but I have none of the issues you're describing. Mine stays closed with it in my pocket or on the table. Short of turning the phone upside down, the flap will stay closed. As for it being in a bag and the flap opening, well...yeah. The magnet on the flap is to trigger the magnet in the phone and activate the features attributed to it, not to keep it closed. If you want a case to keep the screen off while its in a bag or other loose areas where the phone can move around easily, I recommend either the holster or the pocket pouch.

Next time you purchase a case, you may want to review it first. All of the "issues" you describe are common knowledge and outlined in most any review of the case. It is meant to look pretty and keep your phone safe while in a pocket or on a table/desk.
    Don't take Life so seriously, you'll never get out alive
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
  9. zc1
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts

It's hard to describe, but if you press on the spine/left edge of the flip cover after closing it or as you close it then it will stay closed.

It's because the inside cover is soft and felt-like and has the screen protecting 'pads' built into it. It gets hung up on the left edge of the phone/case instead of sliding over that edge and then falling in to touch the screen.

If you look at the inside of the cover you see the two big screen protector 'pads.' It's the right edge of the right-hand one that gets hung up on the lip of the case or edge of the phone. It needs to be lifted over our just pushed over and then it can fall into place properly.

If they had made the right-hand felt pad a little bit narrower and not go as far over towards the spine of the case then this wouldn't be an issue.
    Last edited by zc1; 03-12-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    797 Global Posts
    PIN

same thing with a cover I got for my parents ipad, it didnt close at first so i could constantly hear the screen clicking on and off. It eventually wore in after a couple of weeks and works fine now.
    I do agree that there should be an option on the phone to disable auto - on for the screen.
    Download The EGO Mag Online app for Blackberry 5,6,7, Playbook and the all new Blackberry 10!
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...tent/24193889/

A Gentleman's Guide to a Better Lifestyle!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

I too have the flip case - looks "Dirty" all the time and feels cheap. Wish they had used the same material as the Playbook premium leather one. Loving my Z10 though - just side loaded Netflix, works a charm!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    Savior4Life likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

I'm also very disappointed in the flip case and returned it immediately. It would not close firmly and I found it to be very obstructive when holding/making calls.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Tfp - mine doesn't just open where the phone is upside-down - it opens at pretty much any angle.

I do know what to expect. If it opens and turns on the screen fundamentally at any time you are moving around, this is clearly a flaw. Or is it supposed to be held perfectly still face down at all times? Perhaps the intention it for me to buy an elastic band to stop the battery running down and the phone unlockung itself?

We might have to agree to disagree on this but as far as I am concerned that is absolutely, without any shadow of doubt, a design cockup.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

I concur, that is one of the things that prevented me from buying the Flipcase. It looks so good and is what I wanted but I couldn't stand if the thing constantly flipped open and turned the phone on. I don't think it would have been hard to add 2 small groves on the edge of the cover that fit perfectly onto the phone and kept it closed but for whatever reason a way to keep the cover closed was not implemented
    CrackBerry Addict

Think of a flip case like a baseball glove...it's get better the more you use it.

And if you flip the flap opposite when using it, the laws of physics will take-over. Always lay the phone face down to help with breaking it in.
    CrackBerry Addict

I gotta agree with slparry and pft on this. The holster settings will lock the screen for you and just closing the flap properly will as well. Sound a like some people don't want to like the case, makes me wonder why they bought it in the first place
  17. tfp
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,459 Global Posts

What are you people doing with your phones that it is constantly moving and opening the flipcase? My phone goes from my pocket, which is tight enough to keep the flipcase closed (whether its my jeans or jacket), to my hand when its expected to be open, to the desk or table. Other than that, what are you people doing with your phones? As stated in my previous post, maybe a different case would best suit your needs, from the sounds of it possibly an Otterbox lol

But all kidding aside, this is a case of personal preference, so yes, we will have to agree to disagree. Can we still be friends? I'll buy you a beer and we'll watch a hockey game.
    Don't take Life so seriously, you'll never get out alive
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

I have a flip case. It's unusual for me to buy a case at all to be honest, but the BlackBerry doesn't have a particularly scratch resistant screen etc.

It is a shame it doesn't magnet shut or something but equally the overhang makes it easy to open my phone.

Given it spends the majority of my day on a desk wherever I am working it doesn't seem too bad. I guess it really just depends what you want.

The stand is semi useful - if battery life was better I'd prob use it to watch catch up TV but as it's a bit poor, I'll stick to using my note 2 for that with its truly epic battery life and keep the z10 for my email.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by tfp View Post
    What are you people doing with your phones that it is constantly moving and opening the flipcase? My phone goes from my pocket, which is tight enough to keep the flipcase closed (whether its my jeans or jacket), to my hand when its expected to be open, to the desk or table. Other than that, what are you people doing with your phones? As stated in my previous post, maybe a different case would best suit your needs, from the sounds of it possibly an Otterbox lol

But all kidding aside, this is a case of personal preference, so yes, we will have to agree to disagree. Can we still be friends? I'll buy you a beer and we'll watch a hockey game.
    It is personal preference, however it does seem like an oversight. What about for those of us who always carry around a purse or backpack? That's where I keep my phone all the time. I really wanted this case but not at the cost of losing battery life because the cover won't stay shut.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,374 Global Posts

Very strange? Must be a batch of odd balls out there? I've had mine for a month and it shuts tight every time . It also has no problem with magnet feature. I do wish there were more options in settings for the holster. Hopefully they will update that soon.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by pmccartney View Post
    I would bet that will work but I think one of the key feature points of a flip cover, on a smartphone or tablet, is that it turns on the screen when you open it.
    I have the transform shell and think it's great. Not bulky and it is a stand.
    Like the comment above said, try the transform case. I got it on Feb. 5th, the red one, and with my white Z10, it looks amazing and keeps the phone protected. It even came with a screen protector sheet. Really sweet, very functional, no magnet. When I want the phone off, I touch the top button. When I want the phone on, I touch the top button. Simple but effective. Plus, I always have access to all the ports, buttons, cameras and sensors.

Posted via CB10
    Patrick from Calgary
    ------------------------------
    Z10 STL100-3, OS version 10.2.1.2141
    PB 64 GB, OS version 2.1.0.1526
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    490 Global Posts

I went with transform and returned the flip. much better

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

I want the transform but only for the included screen protector.
    CrackBerry User

For me the ease of use (flip it open one handed) is the best feature of the case, but I can see why some people have a problem with it opening too easily.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

I'm using the Z10 iSkin so far it fits the phone perfectly and gives it some excellent protection.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast