Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By jvictor77
  • 3 Post By diego.roscetti
  • 2 Post By Andrew4life
  • 1 Post By Dirks2.0
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Will old chargers work on the Z10?

Hi all - I've searched the forums regarding a niggling question on my mind, but found nothing.

I know that the Z10 will bring its own charger - as is the norm. For those of us that have rapid/travel/car chargers - will we be able to use any of these with the Z10 or, because of the different battery, will we be facing another iPhone-like "all change" and have to purchase new chargers if we want something better than what's in the box? (obviously the charging dock will be different).

Thanks in advance
    9000 > 9800 and now BB Z10 and 32GB PlayBook glued to my person!
    wazzugrad likes this.

Global Posts
    6,560 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Yes, the Z10 has microUSB, just like all BBs have had for years.
    Thanked by:
    ctuffy (01-15-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

Thor already made a joke about that.....taking a shot at Apple saying they wont change the charging ports on the phones.
    Hello, my name is Diego and I'm a BlackBerryAholic

PHONE: Curve 8330->Storm 9500->Bold 9700->Torch 9800->Bold 9900->Z10

TABLET: PlayBook 32gb
    Thanked by 2:
    CrownIsle (01-17-2013),  pcarson92 (04-04-2013) 
    robkd, CrownIsle and donmateo like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Yes - I'm aware of that - micro usb and micro hdmi ports. My question though, was referring more to charging strength required. Like - will a PB charger, or my current travel charger (with the different international adapters), or the vehicle charger - will those work?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Quote Originally Posted by jvictor77 View Post
    Yes - I'm aware of that - micro usb and micro hdmi ports. My question though, was referring more to charging strength required. Like - will a PB charger, or my current travel charger (with the different international adapters), or the vehicle charger - will those work?
    they`ll all work, although i think what your asking is will the Z10 come with a high power microusb charger like the PlayBook or a `standard` microusb charger much like the 9900.

my guess (and thats all it is) is it`ll come with a PlayBook style high power charger, but of course the normal one will still charge it, just slower. hope that makes sense

Thorsten said ZED 10. deal with it
    My Apps in BlackBerry World
    My Platinum 9900

For all my themes - BBThemes.co.uk and follow me on @BBThemes1

Global Posts
    6,560 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Same standard chargers all work the same standard way. BB10 comes with a larger battery than older BBs, so the charge will take longer than it did on the previous devices, but if a device was actually able to charge a BB previously, it will charge BB10 too.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

I see...thanks for the replies guys!
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

The charging docks probably won't be compatible with the next generation smartphones which would be unfortunate. On my desk I prefer the charging dock for my smartphone and tablet because it allowed both to be viewable and usable in a vertical orientation like my monitor and wireless carrier modem.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Default Re: Will old chargers work on the Z10?

Yup - that's a for sure...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,936 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kill_9 View Post
    The charging docks probably won't be compatible with the next generation smartphones which would be unfortunate. On my desk I prefer the charging dock for my smartphone and tablet because it allowed both to be viewable and usable in a vertical orientation like my monitor and wireless carrier modem.
    I wish they'd come out with a contact only charging dock. Like the one that they had for the BB 8900. Loved being able to just plop it on the dock without having to worry about the pins or the wire being inserted correctly like they had later on with the microUSB port connection docks.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4life View Post
    I wish they'd come out with a contact only charging dock. Like the one that they had for the BB 8900. Loved being able to just plop it on the dock without having to worry about the pins or the wire being inserted correctly like they had later on with the microUSB port connection docks.
    I think it would be safe to assume they will make charging docks for the Z10, I have one for my 9900 and my playbook so I can't see them not making the Z10 compatible with the tech
    CrownIsle likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Dirks2.0 View Post
    I think it would be safe to assume they will make charging docks for the Z10, I have one for my 9900 and my playbook so I can't see them not making the Z10 compatible with the tech
    The only problem is on the Z10 we've seen so far, there doesn't seem to be any charging contacts like the 9900 has or magnetic charger like the PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Harborcoat View Post
    The only problem is on the Z10 we've seen so far, there doesn't seem to be any charging contacts like the 9900 has or magnetic charger like the PlayBook.
    Too true. My 9930 cradle is nice and simple. My previous 9850's cradle was almost as easy, but you still had wear & tear on the USB port (and it was a PITA to line up correctly when I was inebriated. But that's not relevant....)
    Twitter.com/K9Carly
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4life View Post
    Yep, my BlackBerry Bold 9700 and 9780 dock charger has the contact-point charge which is very convenient and not pins to align or misalign. If they decide to go with microUSB charging dock then let it be a magnetic connector.
    CrackBerry Addict

USB Universal standard charger unlike iCrape, charging arms and legs for cable. Current BB and pb cable should work..
    CrackBerry User

As others have said, its the same uUSB port for sure.
    One thing to consider is charge time; inbox chargers for old BB7 and older are all 750-850 mA. the Z10 is closer to a PlayBook in terms of juice requirements - and the PlayBook's inbox charger was a 2.0A affair. So you can use one of the older BB5/6/7 chargers (or in car adapter), as you can with a PlayBook, it will just take longer.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,863 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

Default Re: Will old chargers work on the Z10?

Id use a PlayBook charger. Those things charge my phone in like 20 mins to a half hour.
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

That's what I was thinking...
    CrackBerry User

true but we have not seen the final production phone yet. even in reviews for the 9900 i can't remember many of them mentioning the charging ports on the bottom it is often an over looked feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harborcoat View Post
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Dirks2.0 View Post
    true but we have not seen the final production phone yet.
    They won't change the phone physically from the leaks we have seen and it is safe to take it as confirmed that there are no charging points or the pb magnetic charging point on this device.
    CrackBerry User

The charger for my Droid X both home and car work.

What does "ACK" mean? I get that message when using a charger that was not included. It tells me for best performance use... yada yada. And the message "ACK".
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    PIN
    333E330B

I think it is for acknowledge. That your saying you understand that it won't charge as quick. I get it from time to time even with the factory charger.

Posted via CB10
    9530 > 9550 > 9930 7.1.0.861. > White Z10 10.2.1.1055 Playbook 32 2.0.1.1526
    CrackBerry Abuser

Just check the mha output figures on the chrger If they are the same or close to the original charger's then you shouldn't have a problem. (Using a more powerful one decreases charging time but also reduces the lifespan of the battery.)

Posted via CB10
    Check out my apps/games for - Blackberry 10 and the Playbook
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Old Charger

I had an old Blackberry 9900 and used the car charger that I bought directly from Verizon. I tried it with my Z10 yesterday and after 2 hours it had done nothing - the charge did not go up or down.

So I am reluctant to use it again for fear it might cause an issue. I am going to buy a new one from Crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

it is work.
    but how fast to charge depend on the mah of the charge.

Posted via CB10