UEM 12.6 (formerly BES)
    BB Priv activated on Android For Work

I'm having an issue with contacts not displaying on the Visual Voicemail app.

Received call notifications (the drop down notification at the top of the phone when a call comes in) show name info from work contacts
    The phone app (not BB hub, but the phone app) shows name info from work contacts in the call log
    Text message notifications (drop down) show name info from work contacts
    Messenger (text app) shows name info from work contacts

Visual Voicemail app only shows phone number - no name info which makes it basically useless.

So that's the problem I'm having.

How are your priv's visual voicemail working? Is name info showing or just phone number?

I notice if I put an identical contact into my google contacts then the visual voicemail then displays the name info correctly. This tells me that this app is looking at the google contacts. Of course we wouldn't expect users to export their work contacts and import them into their google contacts. That would be a manual process with no synchronication. So how does one get the VVM app on the priv to use the work contact information?
    Last edited by Roveer; 02-26-17 at 01:24 PM.
    02-25-17 11:33 AM
    You're lucky to have vvm on Priv. Not sure what provider you're with but Rogers apparently doesn't support vvm at all on android

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 09:28 PM
    You're lucky to have vvm on Priv. Not sure what provider you're with but Rogers apparently doesn't support vvm at all on android

Posted via CB10
    AT&T in US.

Maybe that's why the guys at BB Support are looking at me like I'm from Mars. I just assumed (incorrectly) that all modern day systems provided VVM services. Geez, I've got it on my BB7 9810 from 2008. I'm flabbergasted. I keep asking them how can you have BES on Priv's to corporate customers and have the VVM app only show phone numbers and not take the name information from the corporate contacts. The Phone and SMS apps do it just fine. Strangly enough if I populate either the local contact or the gmail contact with the phone number than the VVM will display the name, but that's a manual process and a kludge at best.

I'm going to be speaking with the Support manager today and will likely want to speak with the BES product manager. BB keeps looking at me like I've got some esoteric problem in my installation and it's not me, it's apparently all devices.

So here is my questions for anyone supporting Priv's on BES 12.x:

1. Your Carrier
    2. Do you have a VVM app on android?
    3. Does your VVM just display phone numbers in the list or names?
    4. Does your VVM app display names for the corporate contacts or only local?

When you think of the priv in the hands of the corporate user, how could you not have all the apps (phone, SMS & VVM) displaying corporate contact info? All previous BES/BB's in existence did exactly this.

To take this feature away in today's android world would seem idiotic. I'm missing something here. That coupled with the fact that a priv that's inactive for more than an hour will shut down the BES/VPN and stop receiving any data from BES until it's woken up again tells me that someone at BB is not paying attention to the android platform.

How are users accepting this? I'm really scratching my head here.
    03-23-17 12:16 PM
    AT&T in US.

So here is my questions for anyone supporting Priv's on BES 12.x:

1. Your Carrier
    2. Do you have a VVM app on android?
    3. Does your VVM just display phone numbers in the list or names?
    4. Does your VVM app display names for the corporate contacts or only local?

When you think of the priv in the hands of the corporate user, how could you not have all the apps (phone, SMS & VVM) displaying corporate contact info? All previous BES/BB's in existence did exactly this.

To take this feature away in today's android world would seem idiotic. I'm missing something here. That coupled with the fact that a priv that's inactive for more than an hour will shut down the BES/VPN and stop receiving any data from BES until it's woken up again tells me that someone at BB is not paying attention to the android platform.

How are users accepting this? I'm really scratching my head here.
    1: Rogers in Canada
    2: Rogers hasn't supported VVM on android in years, their app is abandonware and officially unsupported.
    3: N/A
    4: N/A

Of note, android 6+ has vvm support built into the dialer, no app required. Provider just needs OMTP VVM compatible system and to configure it for Android.
    I slapped my ios loving Rogers rep pretty hard, so he had them set it up and want me to test early next week.
    Your issue is likely more a limitation of the att app, see if your can get the vvm setup in their native android dialer and see if issue persists.

Every platform has its limitations, but I really do find the acceptance of Android vvm issues quite odd, as well as a lot of other android problems being acceptable apparently simply to have lots of games. I'm only running a PRIV because some are demanding millions of pointless apps and games on their company phone so I have to test and get familiar with it. I hate less than iPhone, but that's not saying much.
    Did see android 7 on the keyone, looks promising as it runs soo much faster and solves so many problems I have with a druid currently, hopefully we receive for PRIV soon cause we could sure use it.
    Last edited by Rodney Wilder; 03-23-17 at 09:27 PM.
    03-23-17 09:13 PM
    1: Rogers in Canada
    2: Rogers hasn't supported VVM on android in years, their app is abandonware and officially unsupported.
    3: N/A
    4: N/A

Of note, android 6+ has vvm support built into the dialer, no app required. Provider just needs OMTP VVM compatible system and to configure it for Android.
    I slapped my ios loving Rogers rep pretty hard, so he had them set it up and want me to test early next week.
    Your issue is likely more a limitation of the att app, see if your can get the vvm setup in their native android dialer and see if issue persists.

Every platform has its limitations, but I really do find the acceptance of Android vvm issues quite odd, as well as a lot of other android problems being acceptable apparently simply to have lots of games. I'm only running a PRIV because some are demanding millions of pointless apps and games on their company phone so I have to test and get familiar with it. I hate less than iPhone, but that's not saying much.
    Did see android 7 on the keyone, looks promising as it runs soo much faster and solves so many problems I have with a druid currently, hopefully we receive for PRIV soon cause we could sure use it.
    I'm slowely coming to grips that all of this "new" technology has less features than my 10 year old 9810 which has VVM and display corporate contacts. WTF!!! BB Management doesn't seem to care one bit and says things like "it's the carrier". Well it may have been the carrier when you were developing the product, but what (BB) did you do about it to make sure it worked after you released it. Apparently nothing. Completely amazed that Rogers doesn't have VVM. When I asked Femi (BB Support Manager), if he had an Android on BES he told me yes, a priv and dtek60 but told me he didn't have VVM. So you guys are dialing into a VM box and playing your messages that way? I've had VVM on my 9810 since 2010 (7 years). It's no wonder he thinks I'm a whining complainer. He's never seen such amazing things.

My biggest concern is, as we go forward with Android (I echo your sentiments with one exception, google maps), I really don't want to march backwards with basic features.

Let me ask you one more question. In all of my configuring and debugging I have 2 problems I have had huge problems with.

1. VVM (which we have discussed)
    2. Android/BES will stop communicating after period of inactivity unless plugged into charger

Number 2 might be a little hard to spot for the following reasons. 1. People are always hammering on their phones so they might not often reach the timeout where the Priv shuts down the BSCP VPN (This problem requires you are using BSCP), 2. People plug their phones in at night and a phone that is plugged in (charging) does not drop the BSCP adapter.

But, if you hit the road with your phone for a few hours, you should stop receiving anything from BES until you wake your phone up again, then the BSCP is re-established and information starts flowing again. You can test this easily 2 ways.

1. Leave your phone unplugged overnight and don't touch it. In the morning send a bunch of email to your corporate account and wait for a notification (again don't unlock the phone or the BSCP will re-establish). Did you get your notifications? You shouldn't. If you send email to a seperatly configured pop account, it should be received, only your work email is busted.

2. Look into the BSCP app on your phone (UEM app if your using UEM), and make note of the tunnel IP. Should be 172.16.0.x. You can go to the BES server you are on, open a command window and ping your phone. Doesn't matter if it is on wifi or cellular, pings should go through. Do everything from above (leave phone overnight or for a few hours, let it lock etc and try pings. They should fail. BSCP adapter shuts down.

Broken / busted. BB doesn't care. full time / real time data communication is not important to them. They blame android and the cosmos, but it's their responsibility to make sure it works. Again, none of my other BB's (BB7 or BB10) exhibit this complete and total failure. They have made it very hard for me to support their products when basic fundamental functions of the product are busted, but hell, you can play tony hawk on your phone. Whoofaa...

Put the app "disable doze" on the priv, turn it on and the disconnect problem goes away.

Interested in your reply.
    03-24-17 03:16 PM
    Though I understand and sympathize with your frustrations, you are also missing a few points. BlackBerry doesn't write the Android OS, that is Google, and the VVM limitations are a Google and Cell carrier issue. That's why so many carriers created standalone Android VVM apps, and some suck or no longer work at all because apparently many android users didn't care enough. Now with Android 6 and 7 finally having VVM baked in like BB10 and iOS, there can be a push, oddly not a lot of people do and we really have to scream to get attention.
    As I mentioned, I slapped my corporate Rogers rep and they apparently jumped and made the config changes on their end and I'm supposed to be able to start testing it on mine next week.

The other connectivity issue you list is an Android 6 power management limitation as well, BB has no control over this either outside of being an Android partner and throwing their weight behind demanding further development to resolve. It's apparently resolved in Android 7, as are all kinds of other issues. I can definitely say it's super fast OS vs Android 6 from what I saw of it over the course of an evening, but I didn't exactly steal the phone and take it home with me to test further.
    As much as this sucks, it's a huge downside to BB no longer having full control over the base operating system and only having the same API access as any other software developer. They can only customize so much before they end up rewriting the kernel and have fully forked the product and no longer have direct ties to Android, as well as requiring to hire back a massive kernel/OS development team which means they should have just stuck with BB10 at that point from a cost perspective. These issues are Android issues and must be resolved on that end.
    03-24-17 03:36 PM
    Though I understand and sympathize with your frustrations, you are also missing a few points. BlackBerry doesn't write the Android OS, that is Google, and the VVM limitations are a Google and Cell carrier issue. That's why so many carriers created standalone Android VVM apps, and some suck or no longer work at all because apparently many android users didn't care enough. Now with Android 6 and 7 finally having VVM baked in like BB10 and iOS, there can be a push, oddly not a lot of people do and we really have to scream to get attention.
    As I mentioned, I slapped my corporate Rogers rep and they apparently jumped and made the config changes on their end and I'm supposed to be able to start testing it on mine next week.

The other connectivity issue you list is an Android 6 power management limitation as well, BB has no control over this either outside of being an Android partner and throwing their weight behind demanding further development to resolve. It's apparently resolved in Android 7, as are all kinds of other issues. I can definitely say it's super fast OS vs Android 6 from what I saw of it over the course of an evening, but I didn't exactly steal the phone and take it home with me to test further.
    As much as this sucks, it's a huge downside to BB no longer having full control over the base operating system and only having the same API access as any other software developer. They can only customize so much before they end up rewriting the kernel and have fully forked the product and no longer have direct ties to Android, as well as requiring to hire back a massive kernel/OS development team which means they should have just stuck with BB10 at that point from a cost perspective. These issues are Android issues and must be resolved on that end.
    I appreciate your input. You are a more refined version of what I wish I could be when it comes to criticizing BB. Your points are well made and understandable. I'm more of "how could you". I guess these problems are expected when going to an OS that is largely outside of your control, but I do think more could have been done. After-all, I was able to find solutions and I build homes for a living.

So far with the Nougat Beta that I have put on my S6 Active, none of the power management problems (disconnecting) has been resolved, but it's still beta. I've been told that Priv might not see 7 until September, but many say that is inaccurate. a year is almost the lifespan of a android device these days so having to wait that long seems wrong.

I've created my work-arounds for the problems I have uncovered and really need to disconnect myself from expecting a superior product because after all, some things they just can't fix. Just the price you pay when you have to chase after the popular OS. it's unfortunate.

I have high hopes for KEYone, hopefully it'll turn out to be a good device. I kind of like the form factor, even coming from a 9810. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    03-24-17 05:38 PM
    Once I get the native vvm working on my Priv with Rogers, assuming they can actually make it work, I'll post my results on your vvm contacts issues, as it's of concern for me as well considering we're looking at moving to android from bb10 over next year.

I'm sad to hear nougat on your samsung doesn't solve that problems I was told It's supposed to. I'll put some feelers out for more info on this from BlackBerry side. Maybe Crackberry Kevin is running UEM with AFW so I'll check in with him next week.

I give BlackBerry a bit of slack since it's not their os, but doesn't mean I don't still dislike android. I'm not a fan. Simply hate it less than I do iOS

Posted via CB10
    03-24-17 08:33 PM
    Once I get the native vvm working on my Priv with Rogers, assuming they can actually make it work, I'll post my results on your vvm contacts issues, as it's of concern for me as well considering we're looking at moving to android from bb10 over next year.

I'm sad to hear nougat on your samsung doesn't solve that problems I was told It's supposed to. I'll put some feelers out for more info on this from BlackBerry side. Maybe Crackberry Kevin is running UEM with AFW so I'll check in with him next week.

I give BlackBerry a bit of slack since it's not their os, but doesn't mean I don't still dislike android. I'm not a fan. Simply hate it less than I do iOS

Posted via CB10
    This past week, I put Nougat Beta 3 on my S6 Active and was surprised to see that the phone continued to communicate after periods of non-use. This was different than Beta 2 and I was surprised. I'm still testing to see if it was a combination of Beta 3 and Disable Doze or just the Beta. This was a surprise development.
    03-27-17 10:30 AM
    Keep me posted as this sounds like the adjustments to doze in Nougat I heard were supposed to resolve this.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-17 04:50 PM
    Keep me posted as this sounds like the adjustments to doze in Nougat I heard were supposed to resolve this.

Posted via CB10
    Seems to work (communicate) if you disable doze (battery optimize) for the BB components. Right now I have doze disabled for the entire list of apps. I'm going to put it back the way it was and see exactly what apps need to be disabled. I did a new activation on the phone and it stopped working because the apps were not removed from the battery optimizations. After turning it off for the BB apps it started to behave again. The app I was using (disable doze) does not seem to have any effect on the S6 Active on Nougat, but does work on my Priv on Marshmallow. It's the only thing that makes the Priv work.
    Today 07:56 AM