Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bluenoser63
  • 1 Post By kill_9
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Why is there no BES10 Express?

Why is there no BES 10 Express version? As a hobbyist and (very) small business owner, I would love to be able to experiment with all the features and capabilities of BES10 without having to pay for CALs, currently running $99.00/seat for both BDS and UDS. I understand that such fun should have a limit, and as with BESx vs. BES, I'm willing to forgo high-availability, and scalability features found in the full zoot BES deployment in deploying the express version. That said, BlackBerry should recognize that having a scaled-down free version is hardly giving something away with no benefit, since it would (IMHO) see more BlackBerrys placed in corporate hands. It would also give corporation's IT departments an easily-upgradable path into the world of BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) MDM (Mobile Device Management) since BES 10 supports both the BlackBerry ecosystem as well as devices which are part of the Android and Apple appverses.

Anyway, just thinking out loud here and mostly I'm just curious about what people think BlackBerrys rationale might have been in not offering an Express version? For me, it's pretty moot since I've already paid for 3 BDS CALs to support my own experimentation with this new device administration platform. I should also add that I've been running my own BESx for years and all of my family BlackBerrys, with the obvious exception of the 2 new Z10s and the 64 GB PlayBook, are on the BESx 5.04 which I'm also running on top of my Exchange 2010 server.

Interestingly, I've installed BES10 on an unsupported OS since I have it installed on a Microsoft Server 2012 virtual machine which is joined to the same domain as the other Active Directory server which hosts Exchange 2010 and the BESx.

cheers!
    chronic BlackBerry addict and abuser
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts

There is no express version because its not really possible to cut down the BES10 functionality any further. The only way to get less is just to use Activesync on its own.

I would imagine they are also having to pay licensing to Microsoft & Apple too.
    CrackBerry User

I think the growing trend in BYOD is exactly why there is no Express. The new BES and the BB10 are perfectly tailored for BYOD as you pointed out, and as such, there is going to be a fast growing market for exactly what they are offering. Also, they probably feel the loss of BESx customers VS the amount of BESx customers that pay the $100 a device is acceptable, and profitable. No BESx isn't taking anything away from people who upgrade to BB10, and it's not offering anything less than the competitors either. With built in Active Sync support what more would you be getting out of an express version anyways?
    CrackBerry Genius

They are giving the server away for free and just charging $100 per device. Any small business should be able to afford. If you want to just try it out, they have a trial version. BB has to make money somehow.
    highos likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Good discussion. I'm assuming that BlackBerry did their market research but still cannot shake the feeling that an Express version with maybe 20 included CALs would help prime the sales pump.

Nice product though (BES 10). I keep finding new features.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

As someone who wasn't using BESx, but BES5, I'm very very very very happy that the transition to the new BES was completely free! (Minus the cost of the devices of course)

Global Posts
    5,797 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

The problem with providing BES10x is that supporting it is expensive. When BB was seeing a desperate need to provide ActiveSync access for small business, they bit the bullet and allowed small-scale BES, but with BB10 phones having built-in ActiveSync, that need has dropped to near-zero.

"Max Power doesn't 'cuddle'! You strap yourself in and feel the Gs!"
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,480 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by webmeister View Post
    Good discussion. I'm assuming that BlackBerry did their market research but still cannot shake the feeling that an Express version with maybe 20 included CALs would help prime the sales pump.

Posted via CB10
    That's $2000 plus R&D, plus packaging, etc that's out of pocket for BBRY on a server that people are too cheap to buy the $99 per CAL to support their one or two devices. It's not going to happen, so buy yourself a key or switch back to an old Bold and use BES5x.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

@smoothrunnings: That was a bit rude. If you read my first post, you'd know that I bought 3 CALs
    Where did you get the $2000 amount btw?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

@smoothrunnings: That was a bit rude. If you read my first post, you'd know that I bought 3 CALs

Posted via CB10
    $2000 is from $100 times a 20 CALs.

Quote Originally Posted by webmeister
    That is what they would lose. And 20 free devices would mean A LOT of small business customers. That wouldn't prime the sales pump, just lost sales.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,480 Global Posts

Posted via CB10
    Why is it rude? Why must you expect something for nothing? From the get go BBRY (aka RIM) has said over and over again they are going a different direction with BB10 and they have.

I am sorry if you find it rude but you know what nothing is free in this world.

Global Posts
    5,797 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Posted via CB10
    Your 20 CALS at $99 a piece is probably the $2000 that smoothrunnings was referring to.

So, if you're getting that for free, what kind of support would you say should come with it? For how long?

The point some of us are trying to make here is that for such a small userbase, the likelihood is that just enrolling each handset on ActiveSync will probably make the vast majority of business owners happy. There definitely are features in BES10 that are attractive (like Balance), but bear in mind that just installing and running BES10 just adds one more server to the administrative (and licensing) overhead, even if the CALs were free.

And, yes, I get that there are some small businesses that have specific needs that can only be met through BES. For them, adopting and maintaining BES10 is the cost of doing business, but if you include the BYOD benefits in there (i.e., the employer no longer has to maintain a fleet of company phones) it probably winds up being cheaper even with the cost of the CALs and the additional Windows license.

"Max Power doesn't 'cuddle'! You strap yourself in and feel the Gs!"
    Thanked by:
    webmeister (03-16-2013) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,480 Global Posts

Good point and the nice thing that BBRY has done this time is to make the BB10 devices more like your Apple, Android and Windows phone devices were by you don't need BES10 to connect to the device to your organization, you can still use ActiveSync which isn't as secure but if your orangization is small enought that it doesn't want to for go the $99 per CAL then that's best the option, connect it to Exchange through ActiveSync. Only will the companies who stand to lose anything will see the benefit in paying the $99 per CAL and have BES10 installed.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Quote Originally Posted by smoothrunnings View Post
    Why is it rude? Why must you expect something for nothing? From the get go BBRY (aka RIM) has said over and over again they are going a different direction with BB10 and they have.

I am sorry if you find it rude but you know what nothing is free in this world.
    The fact that you needed to remind me that there's no free ride (again) even after you read my post where I said that I've already bought 3 CALs. That's what's rude. You can smiley face me all you want, but the fact remains that you need to engage your brain before you click on the post button.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,480 Global Posts

The fact that you needed to remind me that there's no free ride (again) even after you read my post where I said that I've already bought 3 CALs. That's what's rude. You can smiley face me all you want, but the fact remains that you need to engage your brain before you click on the post button.
    Dude it's not rude at all. I am was merely replying to the comments you made on your second post, obviously you forgot to disengage your brain before hitting reply and creating your second post....that was very rude of you and should be assumed of yourself!
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

I didn't mind paying the $99 each for the CALs so maybe that's my answer and BlackBerry has got it right after all. If a small business person like myself is willing to pay then great. But....I'm already a BlackBerry convert. I'm hardly a conquest sale and *that* is where I believe BlackBerry needs to aim. Maybe the give away point is somewhere south of 20...maybe 5. Point being that you need to give a couple of samples away to hook new buyers.

Anyway, as I said in my first post, I'm just thinking out loud here. The goal for BlackBerry at the end of the day is putting more BlackBerry handsets in peoples' hands. I look forward to future releases of BES 10 where they start adding more HA features.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by oufc_gav View Post
    There is no express version because its not really possible to cut down the BES10 functionality any further. The only way to get less is just to use Activesync on its own.

Hadn't thought of that. Certainly that explains why they can't give away Microsoft and Apple CALs!
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

I didn't mind paying the $99 each for the CALs so maybe that's my answer and BlackBerry has got it right after all. If a small business person like myself is willing to pay then great. But....I'm already a BlackBerry convert. I'm hardly a conquest sale and *that* is where I believe BlackBerry needs to aim. Maybe the give away point is somewhere south of 20...maybe 5. Point being that you need to give a couple of samples away to hook new buyers.

Anyway, as I said in my first post, I'm just thinking out loud here. The goal for BlackBerry at the end of the day is putting more BlackBerry handsets in peoples' hands. I look forward to future releases of BES 10 where they start adding more HA features.
    Do you seriously think Good Technology MDM is free for small businesses?

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Quote Originally Posted by kill_9 View Post
    Do you seriously think Good Technology MDM is free for small businesses?

Yes I do. BESx 5.0x was/is free. A read through the entire thread might've answered your question btw.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

You can download BES 10 software for free and receive a 60-day trial SRP, 5 user CAL for BDS and UDS. After the trial you can buy permanent CALs and an SRP.

highos likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Yes I do. BESx 5.0x was/is free. A read through the entire thread might've answered your question btw.
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express 5 was free but BlackBerry Enterprise Server cost a king's ransom. BlackBerry allows a 60-day trial of BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 to evaluate the product's features which includes management of BlackBerry 5/6/7 smartphones, BlackBerry 10 smartphones, BlackBerry tablets, Apple smartphones and tablets,and Google Android-based smartphones and tablets. After the 60-day evaluation you contact BlackBerry to purchase the required number of client access licenses (CALs) and if I am not mistaken the BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 software remains cost-free.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    27FD02F9

Quote Originally Posted by oufc_gav View Post

Technically speaking there is nothing stopping BlackBerry from offering the exactly same feature set of BES Express in a version that would be compatible with BB10. If BlackBerry Balance is that great of a feature let it sell itself. As it stands it appears that feature is being force fed to those who can't use Active Sync (security issue at my job).
    CrackBerry Genius

The primary purpose of the BES express server was to get the older BlackBerry devices up and working in a reasonably featured mobile email environment. This was before ActiveSync was an enterprise level solution (you could argue it still isn't thus the point of MDM solutions but I'm talking mobile messaging), when RIM used MAPI on the back end, and it was the only realistic way for RIM to get small businesses to use their BlackBerry devices. The goal was to drive device adoption by small businesses and hopefully lead one day to a full blown BES deployment.

Fast forward to today where small businesses can and do use ActiveSync to connect a variety of devices to their messaging systems. The need to obtain and run a BES express just to provide wireless messaging is long gone.

I totally understand that people often used the BES express deployments for the functions beyond just wireless messaging, and thus the desire for the same type of control for free now. I just don't see BlackBerry doing it when the landscape has changed. That's my opinion though and I have been proven wrong before.

Posted via CB10