Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    862 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Perpetual vs. Annual license

Sorry for asking what should be a simple question. I couldn't find anything that explained the differences of annual vs. perpetual licensing for BES10, other than that annual is for 1 year. Are the licenses tied to a particular user or particular device? I have the only license currently and it is annual (and I've had the same Z10). I have another user that has a Z10 (personal), but I think he's going to be getting a work-provided phone (Z30?). So I wanted to know if I get him a license, and I setup his Z10 now, will the license work for his Z30 if I remove the work space on the Z10?

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusIcarusHelios View Post
    Sorry for asking what should be a simple question. I couldn't find anything that explained the differences of annual vs. perpetual licensing for BES10, other than that annual is for 1 year. Are the licenses tied to a particular user or particular device? I have the only license currently and it is annual (and I've had the same Z10). I have another user that has a Z10 (personal), but I think he's going to be getting a work-provided phone (Z30?). So I wanted to know if I get him a license, and I setup his Z10 now, will the license work for his Z30 if I remove the work space on the Z10?

Thanks.
    Not really sure how to answer your question... But Perpetual means never ending and unchanging.
    Rocking a Xperia Z2 and a Q5
    Not powered by BlackBerry anymore but a hybrid!
    CrackBerry Master

Perpetual is a license model where you "purchase" the license. One time payment and no expiry.

Annual = is paid for every 12 months.

Neither are tied to a specific user or device.

If a user wants to use a new device he just activates it and if a device is already active on his account the new BlackBerry 10 will ask if he wishes to add or replace. So he can choose to have 2 devices running in parallel or just stop using the old one.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    DaedalusIcarusHelios (07-07-2014) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    862 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks guys. So two devices for one user would consume two licenses though, right? So really it seems like perpetual is the way to go, since right now it is $38, and annual is $19. Unless I was only going to need a license for only 1 year. I thought maybe there were certain restrictions or other caveats to it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusIcarusHelios View Post
    Thanks guys. So two devices for one user would consume two licenses though, right? So really it seems like perpetual is the way to go, since right now it is $38, and annual is $19. Unless I was only going to need a license for only 1 year. I thought maybe there were certain restrictions or other caveats to it.
    Yes, 2 devices need 2 licenses.

With perpetual you will buy the license for the current version. With annual you will be entitled to upgrades as the come available

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    DaedalusIcarusHelios (07-09-2014) 
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by chasdrury View Post
    Yes, 2 devices need 2 licenses.

With perpetual you will buy the license for the current version. With annual you will be entitled to upgrades as the come available

Posted via CB10
    Good point regarding the updates.
    And with BES 12 out in about 4-5 months you will need either a T-Support agreement or pay(?) for an upgrade if that option will be available.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Correct. T-support or new cals unless they do another trade up

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    862 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

So I might want to go annual for BES 12 support.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

or perpetual with annual support....
    Last edited by deebo550; 07-10-2014 at 01:54 PM.