Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Lotus Traveler vs Universal Device Service

Can anyone let me know the benefits of using UDS over Traveler?
    Pros for Traveler: Free, iPhone integration is perfect, (Android is the same as UDS)
    Pros for UDS: ????
    Blackberry Bold 9900 <- Blackberry Torch
    <- Bold 9700 <- Curve 8900 <- Curve 8310
    <- Blackberry 8800 <- Blackberry 7250
    <- Blackberry 6750 <- RIM 957
    and a Playbook and a BB 10 Alpha
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts

Traveler as in the Lotus Notes addition?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Lotus Traveler for Lotus Domino, allows users of Androids, iPhones and soon to be added Windows Phone 7 and 8.
    Allows for synchronization of Email, Calendar, Contacts, ToDo, and Journals (The last two UDS doesn't do)
    Forced Encryption, and lock code, as well as remote wipe of all data or just business data.
    Blackberry Bold 9900 <- Blackberry Torch
    <- Bold 9700 <- Curve 8900 <- Curve 8310
    <- Blackberry 8800 <- Blackberry 7250
    <- Blackberry 6750 <- RIM 957
    and a Playbook and a BB 10 Alpha
    CrackBerry Newbie

UDS uses Lotus Traveler.
    Pros for UDS are all the security and device management features for a corporation.
    CrackBerry User

With the latest version of Traveler, version 9, IBM has worked closely with MDM providers(airwatch, UDS....) so that there is tighter integration. Traveler has many MDM type functions(and may soon have DLP) that MDM vendors can piggyback off of. Items like password complexity, length and history can be set natively through traveler but it makes more sense to front end these settings with an MDM like UDS. We have password settings configures natively through traveler but when we MDM'd up our iOS's with UDS the Traveler settings were over written.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

UDS and BDS brings much more features to MDM / EMM that the "native " Traveler 9 has, and brings back compression (BDS)

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by the_doughboy View Post
    Can anyone let me know the benefits of using UDS over Traveler?
    Pros for Traveler: Free, iPhone integration is perfect, (Android is the same as UDS)
    Pros for UDS: ????
    Not being very familiar with Lotus Traveler, I think that's like asking ActiveSync vs UDS. You could use one by itself, but the other builds on top of it and provides a lot more functionality. And if you have a previous BES installation and admin customers like mine, "one console to rule them all" (sorry I couldn't resist) is a pretty attractive concept.
    CrackBerry User

@hotfix
    UDS and BDS require you to use some sort if active sync server(trav,exchange...) so when deploying your UDS you will be setting up an email profile or many email profiles(on prem of cloud) and you can assign profiles to different groups of users. Super flexible

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by redshiftquasars View Post
    @hotfix
    UDS and BDS require you to use some sort if active sync server(trav,exchange...) so when deploying your UDS you will be setting up an email profile or many email profiles(on prem of cloud) and you can assign profiles to different groups of users. Super flexible

Posted via CB10
    I am aware of what UDS and BDS are as we are running a BES 10.1 beta server and have Exchange 2010 on the backend.

I was trying to provide a relateable concept since I don't have any experience or knowledge of the product in question. Sorry if I was confusing.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Hello,

The advantage of using UDS as an addon to the Traveler is a additional layer of security and control. The Lotus Traveler is not able to restrict the access to the server for special devices. Everybody who know how can attached as many devices as they want to. Furthermore the UDS is able to set more security settings and lockout jailbroken devices.
    When the secure workspace is available there are more advantage of the use of UDS.

Did this answer your question?

Best regards,

Erdnuckl