Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Hosted Exchange plus Bes 10 - Exchangemymail - what are you throughts?

I am a sole proprietor with one employee so I host my exchange. I am currently using Godaddy hosted exchange. When I started with Godaddy I had a BBOS 7 device and used their BES and it worked fine. Then I upgraded to my Z10 and found out they would only support active synch. I was annoyed. I have been using Godadddy hosted exchange with Activesynch since the Z10 rolled out in the US. It does work fine but I have seen many times where it lags compared to my BES experience with BBOS7. Sometimes it can be 15 mins before I get an e-mail on my blackberry over activesynch whereas in the old days my blackberry would get the e-mail before my outlook connected client would.

In addition to BES, things like better spam filters and archiving would be nice, things Godaddy does not offer.

Looking around I have found Exchangemymail which seems to be a U.S. based company with U.S. based support. I am looking for comments from those of you who use their company. Please let me know the following:

How long have you been using Exchangemymail?
    Did you migrate from another hosted exchange, how did the migration go?
    What are any positives or negatives that stand out in your experience?
    If you had it to do over again would you stick with them or choose another company?

I am not looking to hear from people who haven't used services from Exchangemymail, so comments like "I hear people like it" don't help me. I consider my e-mail and calendar mission critical to my business but running my own server for 2 employee's is out of the question (if you disagree please do not comment, I am not up for debating it), migrating can be a hassle so I don't want to migrate to a company who does not deliver better services.

Thanks for your comments.

JoJetSki

Global Posts
    33,374 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

Can anyone help the OP here?
    CrackBerry Addict

Why not just go with BlackBerry's recently announced BES hosted?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

I've used EMM as a hosted exchange solution for over 5 years. I briefly used Sherweb but found EMM's customer service far superior. I've synced my Outlook data on a 9900, and when BB10 landed, hooked up with a Z10 and a Q10. I also run my iPhones through their servers as well.

My experience with the company has been entirely positive and I'd recommend their hosted exchange without reservation.
    CrackBerry Master

@OP.

BES 10 should not change the BB10 device synchronization experience because it's just another layer of encryption and another route to the Exchange servers CAS.

Normally EAS traffic is encrypted by using TLS for the HTTP traffic.

BES 10 adds another layer of AES encryption to this and uses the proprietary SRP protocol between the BB10 and the BES 10. The traffic is furthermore routed through the BlackBerry Infrastructure.

When the encrypted traffic hits the BES 10 the AES encryption is removed and the AES traffic is routed to the Exchange server and handled like NY other EAS client.

BES 10 is therefore just another VPN concebtrator/router in this setup. All features for filtering etc are not present anymore.

BES 10 is to be used if you need to separate personal and work. It's helps prevent data from being copied/forwarded/used in personal apps.

In some cases it's annoying. I.e. If you receive a phone number in an email you can't copy it and use it in the phone app or send a text message.

So my advice is: If you are a single contractor skip the BES 10. Use the device as a production device and be happy to avoid the extra inconvenience BES 10 inflicts.
    Use your common sense and add device password and perhaps device encryption.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    BCITMike (08-16-2014) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Did you make the switch to exchangemymail? If so, how was the migration etc

Quote Originally Posted by jojetski View Post
    I am a sole proprietor with one employee so I host my exchange. I am currently using Godaddy hosted exchange. When I started with Godaddy I had a BBOS 7 device and used their BES and it worked fine. Then I upgraded to my Z10 and found out they would only support active synch. I was annoyed. I have been using Godadddy hosted exchange with Activesynch since the Z10 rolled out in the US. It does work fine but I have seen many times where it lags compared to my BES experience with BBOS7. Sometimes it can be 15 mins before I get an e-mail on my blackberry over activesynch whereas in the old days my blackberry would get the e-mail before my outlook connected client would.

In addition to BES, things like better spam filters and archiving would be nice, things Godaddy does not offer.

Looking around I have found Exchangemymail which seems to be a U.S. based company with U.S. based support. I am looking for comments from those of you who use their company. Please let me know the following:

How long have you been using Exchangemymail?
    Did you migrate from another hosted exchange, how did the migration go?
    What are any positives or negatives that stand out in your experience?
    If you had it to do over again would you stick with them or choose another company?

I am not looking to hear from people who haven't used services from Exchangemymail, so comments like "I hear people like it" don't help me. I consider my e-mail and calendar mission critical to my business but running my own server for 2 employee's is out of the question (if you disagree please do not comment, I am not up for debating it), migrating can be a hassle so I don't want to migrate to a company who does not deliver better services.

Thanks for your comments.

JoJetSki
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Black View Post
    Why not just go with BlackBerry's recently announced BES hosted?

Posted via CB10
    That would still require an exchange server. As I said in my original post I am not up for managing an exchange server that services two employee's and there is no way to use hosted BES with an exchange server at a hosted e-mail provider like Godaddy or Rackspace where my two mailboxes are among hundreds if not thousands on a single server.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by meagvg View Post
    I've used EMM as a hosted exchange solution for over 5 years. I briefly used Sherweb but found EMM's customer service far superior. I've synced my Outlook data on a 9900, and when BB10 landed, hooked up with a Z10 and a Q10. I also run my iPhones through their servers as well.

My experience with the company has been entirely positive and I'd recommend their hosted exchange without reservation.
    Thank you so much for your feedback. Did you migrate from an existing service over to EMM or did you create a new domain with new mail boxes? I don't mind pain, I just would like to know how much pain there is.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by jpvj View Post
    @OP.

BES 10 should not change the BB10 device synchronization experience because it's just another layer of encryption and another route to the Exchange servers CAS.

Normally EAS traffic is encrypted by using TLS for the HTTP traffic.

BES 10 adds another layer of AES encryption to this and uses the proprietary SRP protocol between the BB10 and the BES 10. The traffic is furthermore routed through the BlackBerry Infrastructure.

When the encrypted traffic hits the BES 10 the AES encryption is removed and the AES traffic is routed to the Exchange server and handled like NY other EAS client.

BES 10 is therefore just another VPN concebtrator/router in this setup. All features for filtering etc are not present anymore.

BES 10 is to be used if you need to separate personal and work. It's helps prevent data from being copied/forwarded/used in personal apps.

In some cases it's annoying. I.e. If you receive a phone number in an email you can't copy it and use it in the phone app or send a text message.

So my advice is: If you are a single contractor skip the BES 10. Use the device as a production device and be happy to avoid the extra inconvenience BES 10 inflicts.
    Use your common sense and add device password and perhaps device encryption.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for your explanation of the extra encryption etc. My personal experience using BES 5.x with BBOS 7 on Godaddy and then switching to ActiveSync is there is a much longer delay sometimes as much as 15 mins before my phone is up to date. When I was on BES 5.x many times my phone would vibrate with a new e-mail LONG before my outlook client would get the e-mail. Now, frequently, I will see the e-mail in outlook and then much later it will show up on the phone. Therefore, my assumption is, the BES network "another route" is faster because that was my experience.

Being a security freak I also like the extra layer of encryption, but speed is my main complaint. I have worked with Godaddy tech support many times and they are US based, however Microsoft is the actual host of the e-mail servers. Therefore, if you have a level 2 or level 3 problem you don't get to work directly with the engineer solving the problem you have to work with a level 1 who does not even really know the product because they are not the actual host, they are just a reseller. Several years ago I had a big problem activating a new account. They wanted to activate a blackberry they had lying around with my account that had all of my e-mail and contacts, so basically all my client data would have been sitting on some random blackberry at the godaddy tech support center. I said that is a problem because my data would not be under my control. They said "we will wipe" the device once we are done. I said "and if you forget and some shmoe grabs it out of the cabinet and activates it to another users account and all of my e-mail and contacts that are sitting on that phone get synched to your other customer, then what do we do" They didn't have a good answer for that. In the end, after doing things like paying and activating a test account and showing it was not my blackberry it was on their end, they finally found a new load balancer that did not have every exchange server configured in the cache, so sometimes my e-mails would be delivered and sometimes they wouldn't. Bottom line, I knew more about exchange then they did...I don't like to pay people to do my IT who don't know as much as I do.

In addition, if by switching to EMM I can get extra features such as better SPAM options like a once a week e-mail that summarizes all of my spam so I can browse it quickly and release any e-mails that should not be blocked. This was a feature I had when using IronMail in conjunction with exchange back in the day at my last company. It was really helpful. Also if I could pay for an archive service as an add-on to exchange that would be another reason to switch to EMM.

All that to say, I don't want to switch to EMM if they are no better than Godaddy. Better the devil I know than the devil I don't.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by hasib123 View Post
    Did you make the switch to exchangemymail? If so, how was the migration etc
    At this point I have not. I was awaiting some feedback and then I as going to call their sales and talk with them. If I decide to switch I will post with the steps I went through to minimize my downtime and any gotchas I had to work around etc. I am concerned about downtime during the switch and any after effects. I know back when I worked as a server engineer and we did exchange migrations within the org if someone was not using the GAL and instead had a local/cached copy of an employees e-mail address you can have issues there the MTA (if I remember right) would try and deliver the e-mail to the old exchange server within the org and fail. That was within an exchange org so I don't believe I will have that problem with outside people sending to my plain e-mail address but I need to make sure.

I expect this process to be time consuming (from a planning perspective) and detailed as I don't want any of my clients or business partners to have problems e-mailing me through the transition. I have been putting all of my time into my new NAS servers and documenting my journey here: JoJetSki
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by meagvg View Post

Did you migrate from an existing service over to EMM or did you create a new domain with new mail boxes?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Jojetski,

did you make the migration

Quote Originally Posted by jojetski View Post
    At this point I have not. I was awaiting some feedback and then I as going to call their sales and talk with them. If I decide to switch I will post with the steps I went through to minimize my downtime and any gotchas I had to work around etc. I am concerned about downtime during the switch and any after effects. I know back when I worked as a server engineer and we did exchange migrations within the org if someone was not using the GAL and instead had a local/cached copy of an employees e-mail address you can have issues there the MTA (if I remember right) would try and deliver the e-mail to the old exchange server within the org and fail. That was within an exchange org so I don't believe I will have that problem with outside people sending to my plain e-mail address but I need to make sure.

I expect this process to be time consuming (from a planning perspective) and detailed as I don't want any of my clients or business partners to have problems e-mailing me through the transition. I have been putting all of my time into my new NAS servers and documenting my journey here: JoJetSki
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

No I have not at this point. Other business priorities are taking my time. I probably won't be doing this until 1st quarter next year.